Please help, I am desperate- playlists won't work

I have made playlists because my tags don’t work on the Sansa Clip.

After eliminating all characters like Ö and ß and & AutoM3U made the playlists- fair enough.

BUT only half of them work, I have no idea why the others don’t. First I thought that the tags contain still the above mentioned characters so I got rid of those too but still no luck, when I click on the playlist for these it just says “empty”.

I have tried everything I could think of and wasted 3 hours renaming and trying over and over again if it is the ß or even the - but to no avail.

Anybody knows what it could be?

Thanks!

Make sure you are using the latest AutoM3U version (v1.1), and select M3U8 for the playlists Format option. This will store all international characters properly and you won’t have to worry about the file names. The tags are not used at all in the playlists; the only thing that matters are the file names.

If that still doesn’t help, then perhaps there’s a problem with the location you store the playlists. Don’t use Save to: Custom Folder ; it won’t work properly with the Clip, because it uses absolute paths (I will fix this in the next version).

Thank you, it eventually worked. The problem obviously was that I chose “For each folder include subfolder files” which it didn’t like for some reason. One folder at a time was ok and strangely it only worked when the playlist was in the folder with the songs, not in the playlist folder on the Clip. But M3U ASCII was no problem as I already had removed the international characters. But I’ll be sure to use M3U8 next time.

Thanks again!

@geozec wrote:

Thank you, it eventually worked. The problem obviously was that I chose “For each folder include subfolder files” which it didn’t like for some reason. One folder at a time was ok and strangely it only worked when the playlist was in the folder with the songs, not in the playlist folder on the Clip. But M3U ASCII was no problem as I already had removed the international characters. But I’ll be sure to use M3U8 next time.

Thanks again!

m3u/m3u8 playlists will never work in a separate “Playlists” folder on a Sansa player.  Sansa players require paths in the playlist to be relative to the location of the playlist.  Or in other words, the files in the playlist have to be either in the same folder as the playlist or in subfolders under the folder containg the playlist file.  So in practice, if you want to have a playlist containing files from many different artist/album folders, it needs to go in the root or MUSIC folder.

Sansafix has indicated that they are working on this issue and future FW will support absolute paths as well.  Then it won’t matter where the playlist file is located.

@skinjob wrote:

Sansafix has indicated that they are working on this issue and future FW will support absolute paths as well.  Then it won’t matter where the playlist file is located.

That’s nice to hear (I hadn’t noticed sansafix mentioning it). We’ll finally be able to store playlists in a PLAYLISTS top-level folder and keep the MUSIC folder tidy.

@eliasf wrote:

That’s nice to hear (I hadn’t noticed sansafix mentioning it). We’ll finally be able to store playlists in a PLAYLISTS top-level folder and keep the MUSIC folder tidy.

Here’s the post from the Fuze forum:

Sansafix - enhance m3u support to allow absolute paths?