Playlists?

I don’t use WMP and my clip is always in MSC mode. My guess is that informative video on syncing in an earlier thread using WMP assumes the player is in MTP mode. I have used winamp. In MSC mode, I select the clip itself as the music source, drag titles from the windows explorer window from folderon the clip into the winamp playlist. I then save that playlist to the music folder, i.e. one level above the windows explorer folder from which the music is selected.  I don’t use subfolders but am confident the same method would apply. Winamp makes the appropriate pathname reference.

Here’s the difficulties I think people are having. The clip is fussy about pathnames in the .m3u file. It doesn’t accept the full set of DOS pathname formats but doing as I said in winamp will give you a working playlist. You can look at this in a text editor and you can edit a playlist to make it work if you know what is needed.

Other software will work differently. You can have a playlist using song titles only as pathname and playlist is in same folder as titles (but this doesn’t permit mixing titles from different albums (folders) in the same playlist). Or you can store the playlist in the music directory and use a pathname of form foldername\songtitle which is what winamp does.

You cannot use fancy DOS variants like ‘…’ for one directory up and as I recall I didn’t have much luck with a full pathname starting from the root with ''. As far as I can tell, the clip uses the windows foldername/filename to read a playlist. That thread showing the method used in WMP looks good and hopefully someone can make sense of what I have written using winamp. Perhaps if others could list their experience with other software, particularly Rhapsody and MediaMonkey which would cover most situations. It’s important for posters on this an other topics to specify which usb mode they are using.