Playback order problems with multi CD albums

Sorry if this has already been covered.  I purchased a Clip+ which I am happy with except for 1 thing.  When I load multi CD albums, the Clip+ shows them as single albums and plays back as follows:  CD1 song 1, CD2 song 1, CD1 song 2, CD2 song 2, etc.  The ID3v2 tags are correct, i.e. they show the songs as being in CD1 and CD2, not a single album.  Also, each CD is in a separate subfolder under the artist.

Ideally, the albums would show up as xxxxx CD1, xxxxx CD2, etc. not just xxxxx.  I don’t want to have to edit the ID3v2 tags or create play lists every time I listen to a multi CD album if I don’t have to.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Edit the tags. It is very easy with a tag editing program like the free mp3Tag.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

With my multi-disk albums, I don’t have this issue, where my disks are labeled (including in the ID3 tags):  album title (disk 1). album title (disk 2), etc., or albim title (1), album title (2), etc.

That’s what I meant by, “The ID3v2 tags are correct, i.e. they show the songs as being in CD1 and CD2, not a single album.”  The songs play fine on my old Zen V and my wife’s iPod, it’s definitely a Clip+ issue.  Thanks for the feedback.

The tags are fine, here’s an example:

Title:  Come Find Me

Artist:  David Crowder Band

Album:  Give Us Rest or (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys]) CD1

Track:  04

I suppose it’s possible that the brackets inside the parenthesis are causing the problem, but I solved the issue by creating playlists for each CD.  I’ll have to load another multi CD album with a “normal” title and see.

BTW, I prefer Mp3tag Studio, myself.  http://www.magnusbrading.com/mp3ts/

Thanks!

@keithx wrote:

The tags are fine, here’s an example:

Title:  Come Find Me

Artist:  David Crowder Band

Album:  Give Us Rest or (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys]) CD1

Track:  04

I suppose it’s possible that the brackets inside the parenthesis are causing the problem, but I solved the issue by creating playlists for each CD.  I’ll have to load another multi CD album with a “normal” title and see.

That’s an awfully long Album Title. It may exceed what the player can glean from the ID3 tags. You might try sticking your “CD1” at the beginning of the title instead of the end, or shortening the title to simply “Give Us Rest - CD1”. You might also try using “Disc 1” (or 2) instead of “CD1” (or 2).

Are the tags ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1?

@jk98 wrote:

Are the tags ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1?

Yes, they are ID3v2.3.  I’m willing to accept the theory that either the length of the album name or the brackets are causing the problem since I have tried other multi CD albums and they play correctly.  Funny that the DC*B album plays fine on the other mp3 players in our house, though.  Thanks to everyone who took the time to help.

Also check the “Discnumber” entry for each file in MP3Tag. I’ve seen strange things happen if this is left blank on multi disc albums or with audiobooks ripped from multiple CD’s. Try editing the this field to correspond with the CD number for all of the tracks that came from that CD. For example, using either: 1, 2, 3, 4 or 1/4, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4 for each CD in a four disc set seems to help with ordering the tracks properly. Also properly naming the tracks so there are no duplicated “Track” names seems also seems to help.