Play music while connnected via USB?

Is it possible to play music while connnected via USB?

This would be very useful to those of us who listen to music throughout the day at work.

Workarounds/hax will be appreciated.

Hello britoso and welcome to the forum.

The Clip cannot play music while it’s connected and communicating with a computer USB port. If you want to keep the battery from draining and still be able to listen to music, you’ll have to either get a USB charger or try one of the methods described in these threads:

Message Edited by eliasf on 11-29-2008 01:16 PM

Seems to be the popular opinion that the Clip music can’t be listened to whilst connected to a computer…I can and the Clip charges as well.

Open Windows Media Player, click on the Now Playing tab, goto the File/Open/ …navigate to the Clip folder you want, select the songs and click on Open…that’s it, the volume control, pause in Media Player also works as I guess do the other controls, it’s not something I use, I just stumbled on it one day playing around.

I might add that my Clip is in MSC mode and running XP

…I should add that the sound is coming via the computer speakers and not the Clip earphones.

Message Edited by golden on 11-29-2008 11:29 PM

Maybe it’s just semantics, but I think technically this is the computer playing what’s on the Clip, as opposed to the clip playing it. You can actually play the same files from Windows Explorer/My Computer, now that I think of it…good point to bring up though, I hadn’t thought of it in that way. This below would be what would cause some to say it’s not “listening to the Clip”:smiley:

@golden wrote:

I might add that my Clip is in MSC mode and running XP

I should add that the sound is coming via the computer speakers and not the Clip earphones.

Thanks for the answers.

I never thought of playing the mp3s directly off the device while it was charging (in drive mode) :smiley:

Sure one could play the Clip’s songs on the computer, but (in my case at least) the Clip’s sound quality is vastly superior to my on-board sound card’s. :smileyvery-happy:

Mine plays  music while it is charging, both to the computer and USB charger . As a matter of fact,  I can’t get it to stop playing without turning if off and then i assume it is not charging. Is there something wrong with it?

If you use a USB cable without a data pin in it, or if you remove the pin/cover it, you can charge your player via computer and play it at the same time.

Alternately, if your computer doesn’t output the same quality, simply use Rockbox with no USB drivers; it’ll charge but not enter USB mode, so you can still playback with your Clip.