Reply
Newbie
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎02-21-2010

Re: Pitch bug on Clip+?

[ Edited ]

On my Clip+, I did notice a "slow playback" issue more than a "pitch" issue (I realize they are related, but to my ear the slow playback was the main annoyance). After converting the sampling rate of my mp3's and m4a's @ 44.1 kHz to mp3's @ 48 kHz using MediaMonkey, songs sound much better on the Clip+. The playback speed seems closer to normal. It would be good to get definitive answers from Sandisk on:

 

- does the slow playback / pitch problem exist on the Clip+ or not, even with the latest f/w rev (my impression is that it does) 

- do they plan to fix it in a future f/w rev, and if so, when

 

If anyone has any info about this, pls share w/ the forum. From reading through all these postings (all 27 pages!), I still don't see definitive answers to these questions.

 

Thanks to all.  

Message Edited by mihacurt on 02-25-2010 04:10 PM
Message Edited by mihacurt on 02-25-2010 04:11 PM
SanDisk Guru
Posts: 3,233
Registered: ‎09-13-2008

Re: Pitch bug on Clip+?

The pitch bug on the Clip+ is only around 0.25% with recent firmware. On the Clip, it was originally 0.7%, which many people did notice. Most people can't hear a pitch difference of 0.25%. The Clip+ is slightly fast.
Newbie
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎02-21-2010

Re: Pitch bug on Clip+?

[ Edited ]

@JK98 wrote:
The pitch bug on the Clip+ is only around 0.25% with recent firmware. On the Clip, it was originally 0.7%, which many people did notice. Most people can't hear a pitch difference of 0.25%. The Clip+ is slightly fast.
 I just got the following reply to my question from Sandisk technical support:
 The Sansa Clip+ has should have no issues with playing songs that have a rate of 48 kHz. However if the playback is slow and you are listening to an audiobook then it is possible that this is caused by a feature on the Sansa Clip+ player. To check if the speed is set to slow please follow these steps:
- Power the player on
- From the Main Menu go to Settings (Image of an equalizer)
- Select Audiobook options
- Change the Speed to Normal.

Does this mean that the Clip+ requires that songs be sampled at 48 kHz to sound "normal", and songs sampled at the more standard 41.1 kHz rate will sound slow on the Clip+?

 

 

Message Edited by mihacurt on 03-04-2010 03:52 PM
SanDisk Guru
Posts: 4,898
Registered: ‎11-17-2008

Re: Pitch bug on Clip+?


mihacurt wrote:

@JK98 wrote:
The pitch bug on the Clip+ is only around 0.25% with recent firmware. On the Clip, it was originally 0.7%, which many people did notice. Most people can't hear a pitch difference of 0.25%. The Clip+ is slightly fast.
 I just got the following reply to my question from Sandisk technical support:
 The Sansa Clip+ has should have no issues with playing songs that have a rate of 48 kHz. However if the playback is slow and you are listening to an audiobook then it is possible that this is caused by a feature on the Sansa Clip+ player. To check if the speed is set to slow please follow these steps:
- Power the player on
- From the Main Menu go to Settings (Image of an equalizer)
- Select Audiobook options
- Change the Speed to Normal.

Does this mean that the Clip+ requires that songs be sampled at 48 kHz to sound "normal", and songs sampled at the more standard 41.1 kHz rate will sound slow on the Clip+?

 

 

Message Edited by mihacurt on 03-04-2010 03:52 PM

99.99% of people hear nothing wrong with the Clip+ pitch.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 4,898
Registered: ‎11-17-2008

Re: Pitch bug on Clip+?


Marvin_Martian wrote:

mihacurt wrote:

@JK98 wrote:
The pitch bug on the Clip+ is only around 0.25% with recent firmware. On the Clip, it was originally 0.7%, which many people did notice. Most people can't hear a pitch difference of 0.25%. The Clip+ is slightly fast.
 I just got the following reply to my question from Sandisk technical support:
 The Sansa Clip+ has should have no issues with playing songs that have a rate of 48 kHz. However if the playback is slow and you are listening to an audiobook then it is possible that this is caused by a feature on the Sansa Clip+ player. To check if the speed is set to slow please follow these steps:
- Power the player on
- From the Main Menu go to Settings (Image of an equalizer)
- Select Audiobook options
- Change the Speed to Normal.

Does this mean that the Clip+ requires that songs be sampled at 48 kHz to sound "normal", and songs sampled at the more standard 41.1 kHz rate will sound slow on the Clip+?

 

 

Message Edited by mihacurt on 03-04-2010 03:52 PM

99.99% of people hear nothing wrong with the Clip+ pitch.


Fort those very select few that do, it was announced a while back that it will not be addressed.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

Newbie
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-03-2010

Re: Pitch bug on Clip+?

The pitch problem was apparent to me upon first listening to my new Clip+ ... so I came to this board and to my dismay read Sansa's official stance on the matter: that it was a known problem and it would not be addressed. Specifically, Sansa indicated that if a customer can hear the lowered pitch, then this is not the product for them.

 

I promptly returned the Clip+ for a full refund and will spend the rest of my days telling everyone I know to stay far away from this shoddy joke of a product: a music player that PLAYS MUSIC TOO SLOW. A disgrace, and a waste of my time. Luckily, the only money I wasted was the shipping charges on the return mailer. 

 

Aside from this (in my opinion massive) issue, the player was ideal. There is, however, no excuse for a music player that plays music at the wrong speed and pitch...especially when the manufacturer has been aware of the issue and has the ability to correct it, but chooses not to do so. Shameful.

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 16,269
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: Pitch bug on Clip+?


@theblueangel wrote:

The pitch problem was apparent to me upon first listening to my new Clip+ ... so I came to this board and to my dismay read Sansa's official stance on the matter: that it was a known problem and it would not be addressed. Specifically, Sansa indicated that if a customer can hear the lowered pitch, then this is not the product for them.

 

I promptly returned the Clip+ for a full refund and will spend the rest of my days telling everyone I know to stay far away from this shoddy joke of a product: a music player that PLAYS MUSIC TOO SLOW.



 

If you indeed read up on it, you will know that this was said about the orginal Clip, long before the Clip+ was introduced. Further, if you took the time to read (this thread in particular), it's also been documented by multiple people that the Clip+ plays just a hair fast, not slow.

 

I'm sorry that you are cursed with such perfect tone & pitch recognition that you can distinguish a difference that even a digital diagnotisic device has trouble registering. But if true, and you're really that good, why are you wasting your time and money on a product in this price range in the 1st place? That's like Mario Andretti driving a 3 cylinder SmartCar and expecting it to keep up with the pack of $500,000 Indy racers.

 

 

Newbie
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-03-2010

Re: Pitch bug on Clip+?

I'm not sure why you're being so hostile, Tapeworm. If you don't notice the pitch difference, then great for you. Aside from the pitch, I think the Clip+ is a fantastic player and certainly a good buy for the money.

 

I also don't understand why you make a point of the fact that the pitch bug also existed on the original Sansa Clip. In my opinion, that's all the more reason to be disappointed that Sansa has still failed to correct it with the Clip+. I never owned a Sansa Clip, so what difference does it make that I would also have been disappointed with that player?

 

I've read this entire thread...and you're wrong. The playback is SLOW, not fast. The pitch is lower than it should be, not higher. I didn't have to read ANYthing to know this, since I can HEAR it. 

 

I wouldn't say that I'm cursed with perfect pitch, but yes...I was told by my music teacher in grade school and again by a professor in college that I do indeed have "perfect pitch". If you don't, and therefore you can't hear the difference, that's great. But I can, and it's unacceptable to me to listen to music played back at the wrong speed (and therefore pitch). 

 

As to your final point: why am I trying to buy an mp3 player in this price range? Because I don't have a lot of money to spend. Why else? There's no correlation between being able to hear slight pitch differences and having a lot of money. No other player in this price range (or in a cheaper or more expensive price range) that has this same pitch bug, so why should it be acceptable in the Clip+? I wouldn't accept this in any type of music player, whether it was a tape player, a record player, a CD player or a digital music player.

 

As a consumer who has returned the product for a full refund (and who has done a great deal of talking to my friends and family about how disappointed I am with this product) I thought it might be helpful for Sansa to be aware of exactly why they lost a customer. I don't understand your animosity.

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 16,269
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: Pitch bug on Clip+?


theblueangel wrote:

I'm not sure why you're being so hostile, Tapeworm.


Hostile? No.

 

Tired of people pummeling a deceased equine? You bet.

 

As a consumer who was dissatisfied with this product, you did the absolute logical and right thing to do. You returned it. I hope you're happy with whatever your next choice may be.

 

And for the record, there were 9 people who claimed in this thread that either they heard no difference in playback speed, or through testing, proved that the Clip+ played slightly fast.

 

There was exactly one who said it played slow. You.