Pitch bug on Clip+?

Does anyone know if the Clip+ has the same low pitch/slow playback bug that the Clip v2 has? I sold my 8GB Clip v2 because of it.

Would love to have a Clip+ if it doesn't have that issue -- with the microSD slot, it's a near-perfect player. 

SanDisk User

Re: Pitch bug on Clip+?

I need an answer to this as well.  If it turns out it does not have the problem, not only will I not get this new Clip but I will immediately sell the old one as well, as I don't give my business to companies that do this.  Have seen it happen too many times where an exisiting product has some easily fixable problem, but rather than fix it, they make a new product that is very similar to the old one that does not have the problem and discontinue improving upon/supporting the old product, essentially forcing you to "upgrade."  Especially as the problem goes to the very core purpose of the player.

Seeing as this new forum for the Clip+ was created by Sansa, I would expect to see an official answer within the next few days or so, as they are clearly active/monitoring these boards.  This post may seem a bit blunt, but I'm tired of this problem being ignored on the Clip.

Respectfully submitted,

Warrior1986

SanDisk User

I agree with you completely.

The lack of resolution of the pitch problem on the original Clip is totally unacceptable:smileymad:.

Especially when a firmware fix was said to be in the works by Sansa over 6 months ago (just before they blew out the old stock of Clips on sale at Walmart) and then not a peep from Sansa since then. I guess that since they sold all the old ones, they feel it' in there best interest not to fix the problem now.

I would not trust the Clip Plus until all the audio file formats with all sample rates are tested for the pitch problem and distortion/clicks by someone other than Sansa.

It's important to know that if the Clip Plus has any defects in its firmware, when you purchase it, Sansa may never fix it.

I will not buy another Sansa product until the Original Clips pitch problem is fixed.

Buyer beware.

I just got the Clip+ at BB today. I'm with you guys about the slow playback on the original clip. I barely used it after listening to my music sounding a bit off all the time. I took the risk in getting the Clip+ to perhaps help others decide. So I can tell you after testing simultaneous playback with my computer and Cowon S9 vs the Clip+ on several songs, the slow playback is gone. However, it is now about 1/4 sec fast per minute, so about a second fast per 4+ minute song. This is not discernable to me without having the music playing simultaneously. Hope this helps.
SanDisk Guru

@hcry4 wrote:
I just got the Clip+ at BB today. I'm with you guys about the slow playback on the original clip. I barely used it after listening to my music sounding a bit off all the time. I took the risk in getting the Clip+ to perhaps help others decide. So I can tell you after testing simultaneous playback with my computer and Cowon S9 vs the Clip+ on several songs, the slow playback is gone. However, it is now about 1/4 sec fast per minute, so about a second fast per 4+ minute song. This is not discernable to me without having the music playing simultaneously. Hope this helps.

Which then makes one wonder why SanDisk doesn't make the same firmware tweak for the Clip to fix the problem.  They share the same sound chip, right?  Unless the firmware is significantly different, which is hard to believe, though possible I guess.

Or maybe there's a Clip firmware release right around the corner ...

SanDisk User

Questions about this problem have gone unanswered by Sansa telephone Tech Support.

They claim no knowledge of what firmware will be released, or when.

This is unacceptable.

This forum and this thread are the appropriate forum to air these concerns, and alert others to a significant and yet unresolved problems with their Clip players.

This forum is the place for Sansa employees to browse and comment on progress.

The fact that they have stopped doing so for the clip is very disappointing :smileymad:

So don't buy Sansa stuff anymore if it bothers you that much.

I think this is much ado about nothing, especially since there is a work around for the problem if it truly bothers you that much (48000).

SanDisk Guru

I'm not an engineer, but shouldn't this just be something that SanDisk gets done correctly, without people having to use workarounds?  Is this an issue with other players as well?  Frankly, I've never heard of this as an issue before.
SanDisk Guru

Seems odd that that the same 3 or 4 people keep harping about the pitch issue.  I'm not saying it didn't/doesn't exist, but the intensity of their posts almost makes me believe they are here soley to tarnish the reputation of Sandisk.

The solution is simple.  If the product (any product) doesn't suit your needs, return it.  If enough people do that due to a design flaw (I'm not saying there is one with the clip+) the manufacturer will get the message loud and clear.

Posting in a user forum isn't going to make your perceived issue go away; or make the manufacturer react to your complaints.

"Before I sink into the big sleep...I want to hear the scream of the Butterfly"
SanDisk Professor

@fuze_owner-GB wrote:

Seems odd that that the same 3 or 4 people keep harping about the pitch issue. 

Seems the same 1 or 2 people keep acting as apologist, that it isn't reasonable to expect consumer grade gear to get the speed/pitch right even though the vast majority of inexpensive players do.

The solution is simple.  If the product (any product) doesn't suit your needs, return it.  If enough people do that due to a design flaw (I'm not saying there is one with the clip+) the manufacturer will get the message loud and clear.

The mfr may have numbers on how many are returned, but for players bought and returned to retail or mail order outfits there's usually a broken chain when it comes to the reason why.

Posting in a user forum isn't going to make your perceived issue go away; or make the manufacturer react to your complaints.  

Hmmm..... didn't one of the Sansa employees post that they'd figured out the problem and had a fix? (maybe that was just for Fuze.)   Didn't that all stem from discussion of the problem in the user forum?