Pitch bug on Clip+?

OLED Display consumes less power than LCD Display with backlight on. Besides this display is awesome, it’s crystal clear readable under any circumstances including bright sunlight. Can you please explain me what is the purpose of having the display of a tiny mobile mp3 player on all the time (on top that with lousy monochrome LCD display with no backlight on) ? Sure different people have all different kinds of weird wishes, but I tried already to explain the very large target consumer base for this player. San Disk has certainly researched the market beforehand and I must say - they got it right.
Why don’t you just look into another player-class which fits you better ?

>>  Why was an OLED display used for the Clip+? I would have preferred a low powered monochrome LCD display

Message Edited by m9zf3n5w on 10-18-2009 10:56 AM

I’m curious:

While I asume that the people reading this thread likely are not representative of the average Clip+ consumer, would people here be willing to give up 1/2 an hour of battery life for a more dead-on pitch (and with the understanding that most people probably cannot readily detect any pitch issue in the Clip+ at present)?

@miikerman wrote:

I’m curious:

While I asume that the people reading this thread likely are not representative of the average Clip+ consumer, would people here be willing to give up 1/2 an hour of battery life for a more dead-on pitch (and with the understanding that most people probably cannot readily detect any pitch issue in the Clip+ at present)?

Yes, I would. As others have said, I consider it a matter of principle.

@m9zf3n5w wrote:

OLED Display consumes less power than LCD Display with backlight on. Besides this display is awesome, it’s crystal clear readable under any circumstances including bright sunlight. Can you please explain me what is the purpose of having the display of a tiny mobile mp3 player on all the time (on top that with lousy monochrome LCD display with no backlight on) ? 

Because a monochrome LCD only needs a backlight if it’s dark and takes very little power, note that some watches with a similar size display can run 7 years on what’s probably a smaller battery than the clip.  It pretty much amounts to zero in figuring the battery life of an mp3 player.

You don’t need color to find and play your music, so whether monochrome is “lousy”  is just a matter of whether you want to burn power to go “ooh” at the eye candy.  And remember, the clip display is really 2 monochrome regions, not a real “color” LED display.

The display would not be on ALL the time, only when the player is turned on, though I suppose it could function as a watch when off.

I meant that LCD screen in general is lousy comparing to OLED for this kind of player. It’s not about eye candy, but readability for effective and just occasional use under different light circumstances outdoors. It’s about pure functionality.
Don’t you get it - many people need audio player not as a watch, not for reading essays, not to cook coffee with it, but simply to listen to the music.
99% of the time the only organ involved is the ear.

>>  You don’t need color to find and play your music, so whether monochrome is “lousy” is just a matter of whether you want to burn

@m9zf3n5w wrote:

I meant that LCD screen in general is lousy comparing to OLED for this kind of player. It’s not about eye candy, but readability for effective and just occasional use under different light circumstances outdoors. It’s about pure functionality.
Don’t you get it - many people need audio player not as a watch, not for reading essays, not to cook coffee with it, but simply to listen to the music.
99% of the time the only organ involved is the ear.

>>  You don’t need color to find and play your music, so whether monochrome is “lousy” is just a matter of whether you want to burn

The watch comparison is appropriate because a 20 year history of monochrome LCD watches with Indiglo style  “backlight when needed”  shows that they really do work well for readability in various lighting conditions.  I did try my clip in direct sunlight today and it was pretty dim, though better than color LCD with a little hand shade.  Your own argument that the primary purpose is listening is an argument against OLED.

With long tracks (album length, podcast, audiobooks, etc) having the display on lets you tell at a glance where you are in the file.  With my players now I have to jog one of the controls to make the display come back on.

>>  Your own argument that the primary purpose is listening is an argument against OLED.

I said I needed some kind of screen for  only 1% of the time. If you compare all different kinds of screens under all different light circumstances OLED (and in particular the kind built in clip+) clearly wins.  
One simple press on clip+ brings the display on (I need to bring it in front of my eyes anyway) - and it is not something that I need often. Plus I am not that lazy :slight_smile:
But all this OT discussion is useless, the majority of people are perfectly happy with clip+ the way it is, in all but one: the pitch bug, so please let’s move on that issue.

@m9zf3n5w wrote:
  the majority of people are perfectly happy with clip+ the way it is, in all but one: the pitch bug, so please let’s move on that issue.

What’s left to say about it that hasn’t been said? Given the official statement from SanDisk, hasn’t talking about the pitch issue become

“OLED Display consumes less power than LCD Display with backlight on. Besides this display is awesome, it’s crystal clear readable under any circumstances including bright sunlight. Can you please explain me what is the purpose of having the display of a tiny mobile mp3 player on all the time (on top that with lousy monochrome LCD display with no backlight on) ?”

A digital watch is very readable except in the lowest light conditions(when a button is pressed for the backlight). It displays continuously for years on a tiny battery. There is no need for newer higher power consumung displays that can’t be on all the time.

“The watch comparison is appropriate because a 20 year history of monochrome LCD watches with Indiglo style “backlight when needed” shows that they really do work well for readability in various lighting conditions”

Such mature technology is also extremely inexpensive. I want an mp3 player with a display that is on all the time while the player is playing. If a digital watch can have the display on all the time 24 hours a day for years, then why can’t my mp3 player’s display be on all the time while the player is on?

" With long tracks (album length, podcast, audiobooks, etc) having the display on lets you tell at a glance where you are in the file.  With my players now I have to jog one of the controls to make the display come back on"

Having the display on all the time while the player is on also tells you at a glance if the player is on or off.

Well, maybe some insider willing to share some kitchen secrets will snoop in here… :slight_smile:

>> What’s left to say about it that hasn’t been said? Given the official statement from SanDisk, hasn’t talking about the pitch issue 

Indeed, you never know if the music is playing or not :slight_smile:
I think you also need a small speaker in your player which would continuously beep so you know that your player is still there :) 

>> Having the display on all the time while the player is on also tells you at a glance if the player is on or off.

@m9zf3n5w wrote:

Indeed, you never know if the music is playing or not :slight_smile:
I think you also need a small speaker in your player which would continuously beep so you know that your player is still there :) 

That would also drive up power consumption, not a desired attribute of a “long play” version of clip.

BTW, pushing a button just to bring up the display was considered a pain when they had it on LED watches, barring the first few months when it was how you drew attention to the fact that you had one of the cool new digital watches :smileyvery-happy:.  

MFR’s ditched that as soon as they could switch to LCD.  They don’t seem to be in any rush to switch back to OLED unless it’s for full color (oh boy… yet another gizmo to watch video on a teeny screen!)

@jk98 wrote:

“The watch comparison is appropriate because a 20 year history of monochrome LCD watches with Indiglo style “backlight when needed” shows that they really do work well for readability in various lighting conditions”

Such mature technology is also extremely inexpensive. I want an mp3 player with a display that is on all the time while the player is playing. If a digital watch can have the display on all the time 24 hours a day for years, then why can’t my mp3 player’s display be on all the time while the player is on?

Further OT, but  . . . this really isn’t a fair comparion or realistic expectation. You cannot compare the power needs or output of an mp3 player with that of a digital watch. That’s like comparing the gasoline consumption of a Hummer to a Honda Civic.

And still off the thread topic :wink:

My still-used first digital player, a hard-drive/high capacity player from 5-6 years ago (an iRiver iHP-140), actually has such a display:  an always-on, very visible LCD display with a backlight that comes on when a button is pressed.  Not as “modern” feeling as current displays, it gets the job done and having the display information always there without needing to do anything is nice.  (It’s actually taken me a bit to get used to the typical display nowadays, which turns off.)

@marvin_martian wrote:

What’s left to say about it that hasn’t been said? Given the official statement from SanDisk, hasn’t talking about the pitch issue become

Thanks for reviving this, Marvin! Definitely one of my favs! :smileyvery-happy:

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Thanks for reviving this, Marvin! Definitely one of my favs! :smileyvery-happy:

I thought it was appropriately on-topic, and the image never gets old. :smileyvery-happy:

Actually, I don’t think that continuing to discuss the pitch issue, or any Clip issue, is fruitless, as SanDisk can be a responsive company.  Hopefully, that continues in the future as well.

(Having said that, I love the graphic–Marvin has some great ones!)

@marvin_martian wrote:

@m9zf3n5w wrote:
  the majority of people are perfectly happy with clip+ the way it is, in all but one: the pitch bug, so please let’s move on that issue.

Cool, Marvin… But your guy is too “proper” for me…:smileyvery-happy:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@m9zf3n5w wrote:

Cool, Marvin… But your guy is too “proper” for me…:smileyvery-happy:

Now that’s just mean . . . kidney-punchin’ him like that! :stuck_out_tongue: