Pitch bug on Clip+?

@miikerman wrote:

Couldn’t that be calculated on paper? 

Regardless, there still is the trade-off:  adjust the pitch tighter with a small battery hit; or keep the pitch as is with the longer battery life.  Note that the pitch target was improved with the Clip+ from the Clip.

Personally, I think that an estimated 14-1/2 hour battery life for something this small is pretty bloody amazing and allows for, essentially, a full day of play.  And the loss of 1/2 an hour is not major.  But it could be a marketing issue, perhaps, and I don’t know what the majority of users would feel.

I came back to say this.  There should be no trade-off.  I presently have a player that is tiny, plays on-pitch and has a battery life of 60 hrs.  In a way, I’m glad that Sandisk had this issue or I wouldn’t have found my new perfect player.

If another manufacturer can figure a way to have superb battery life and play on pitch in a very small form factor, there really isn’t any excuse for Sandisk not to do the same.

You could have mentioned the name, you know?:wink:

@yelped wrote:

Shame on you for not knowing! :stuck_out_tongue:

Vague hint: they’re known for their players having great sound and battery life.

Sony S545 ? Are you kidding, that thing is at least 2-3 times bigger then Sansa Clip+, not to mention the price. Buy a player the size of a refrigerator and batteries will last your whole life :slight_smile: Anyway I would never buy anything from such a bloodsucking company like Sony. 

@m9zf3n5w wrote:

Sony S545 ? Are you kidding, that thing is at least 2-3 times bigger then Sansa Clip+, not to mention the price. Buy a player the size of a refrigerator and batteries will last your whole life :slight_smile: Anyway I would never buy anything from such a bloodsucking company like Sony. 

Sony S545 is what I have, not what fuze_owner-GB has that yelped was asking about. :stuck_out_tongue:

@yelped wrote:

Hmmm… I never realized that I was your personal assistant. :smileyvery-happy:

My hints should be obvious; do a little searching around.  There aren’t too many players with 60 hrs. of battery life.

With the size of a clip+ ? I don’t even think it is possible.

>> There aren’t too many players with 60 hrs. of battery life. 

Last hint; and the end of discussion for me.  Take a little initiative and do a bit of research yourself if a media player with 60 hrs of battery life is of interest (that plays on-pitch).

Cowon iaudio

(A nice little player there, with a nice feature set–would be super to see it with a microSD slot.  Of course, it is a different form factor and one would expect a greater battery life with its increased size (although getting to 60 hours is impressive); and it also is at a completely different price point.)

And now, returning to the thread’s topic …

:wink:

@miikerman wrote:

(A nice little player there, with a nice feature set–would be super to see it with a microSD slot.  Of course, it is a different form factor and one would expect a greater battery life with its increased size (although getting to 60 hours is impressive); and it also is at a completely different price point.)

I agree, also on a player of that size I would definitely appreciate tactile buttons. The i9 looks pretty cool, I will probably get one.  Only I’ll be talking about it on the cowon forum and abi, rather than coming here. 

@miikerman wrote:

I didn’t want the thread hijacked… My point in bringing up the “other” player was to comment on the battery life/form factor/pitch variances.  If another company can get 60 hrs of battery life and be on pitch in a size that isn’t very much larger than the clip, why can’t Sandisk?  In this day and age, 14 - 15 hours of battery life per charge (real world, more like 11-12) isn’t anything to brag about; let alone the pitch variances.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

I didn’t want the thread hijacked… My point in bringing up the “other” player was to comment on the battery life/form factor/pitch variances.  If another company can get 60 hrs of battery life and be on pitch in a size that isn’t very much larger than the clip, why can’t Sandisk?  In this day and age, 14 - 15 hours of battery life per charge (real world, more like 11-12) isn’t anything to brag about; let alone the pitch variances.

Valid points…

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

newest ipod shuffle is rated at 10 hours

creative stone plus 9.5 hours

15 hours is pretty good in comparison.  You’re just comparing it to the wrong product.

Actually, before I asked my question, that was the first player that popped into my mind. But I saw a picture of the i7 and it didn’t look so small. I should have looked at a comparison pic.

Battery life of around 12 hours hours wouldn’t be so bad if the battery is easily swappable and inexpensive spares can be charged outside the player a few at a time. A player with a built in battery and only around 12 hours of battery is very annoying though. If one gets an 8 GB Clip+ and a 16 GB card to put in it, even at 256 kbps, one could only play around 6% of the music in the player before it needs to be recharged again. That doesn’t even take into consideration that some songs might be played more than once. How about having players available where the battery life is some reasonable percentage of the player’s capacity. A player with 24 GB of storage can hold around 216 hours of music at 256 kbps or around 432 hours of music at 128 kbps. How about giving people a battery system that allows one to have enough battery power in a practical way to be bring the player’s battery life more in line with its music capacity. Even worse than having just around 12 hours of battery time on the Clip+ is the charging time overhead. It takes something like 3 hours of charging of the Clip+ to get around 12 hours of play time. Play time is only 4 times charging time. For a player that uses a AA nimh 2900 mah battery and a 15 minute charger that charges 4 batteries in 15 minutes, (if it gets 40 hours of play time on a AA nimh 2900 mah battery) play time might be 640 times charging time! The play time for the 4 nimh 2900 mah AA batteries might be around 160 hours, or 75% of the 216 hour music capacity of a Clip+ with 24 GB of storage of songs at 256 kbps.

Message Edited by JK98 on 10-16-2009 11:59 AM

People are aware of the limitations of the battery when they purchase.  If it’s too short for their use, they could buy something else.  If it wasn’t information that was easily available that would admittedly be an issue, but that’s not the case. 

I think you should some math: 
clip+  2.16 x 1.34 x 0.4 in = 1.16 cubic inches
cowon i7  3*1.4*0.7 in = 2.93 cubic inches

on top of that compare the prices of the players as well. 
I guess batteries with larger capacity per size also cost more. 
Anyway, that’s not the point at all. Beside the pitch issue, IMHO Clip+ is a perfect player for that tiny size format, I don’t see any other player that can compete. 15 hour play time is more then adequate. Do you sleep at night with earbuds and music on ? :) 

Message Edited by m9zf3n5w on 10-16-2009 10:29 AM

@jk98 wrote:
  It takes something like 3 hours of charging of the Clip+ to get around 12 hours of play time.
Message Edited by JK98 on 10-16-2009 11:59 AM

You must be using the computer to charge. When I had my Clips my 1000mA wall charger was definitely faster than that.:wink:

@JK98:

It’s seems that you spend 25 hours a day with your mp3 player :slight_smile: Don’t you see that very few people would ever need such extreme capacities and that it completely miss the purpose of sansa clip+ ? Keyword: small.