Pitch bug on Clip+?

@schnarky42 wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

schnarky42 wrote: 

3) Many, including myself, have stated that the Clip+ is on the edge of a just noticable pitch difference. You say few people can detect this, but I challenge people on this forum to listen to these clips on Wikipedia and find out if they can tell the difference. Particularily the ‘Six Cents’ and ‘Ten Cents’ clips, as that’s roughtly the pitch accuracy of the Clip+ right now.

Testing tones is one thing but the only test that matters is listening to the same things you listen to every day… your music your podcasts, whatever… If you hear a difference then you continue to look for answers but If you listen and honestly cant tell a difference when you listen to your favorite songs then you can move on to listening enjoyment. If the player is off but you cant hear that difference whats the point in splitting hairs?

The reason for test tones is that they’re readily available. And as I said, I left it as an open challenge for people to hear for themselves. If people do notice the difference on the Wikipedia link, I could take it one step farther. I could find some creative commons music samples and alter their pitch for ABX testing. That would more closely simulate the every day listening experience.

Although you do bring a good point about listening enjoyment. It’s such a relative experience. For some, a scratchy $3 cassette tape is all they need. For others, it requires something a bit better. Sandisk has so far catered to that ‘little bit better’ crowd; look at ReplayGain, ID3v2.4, and FLAC support as examples. That’s why it’s so odd that Sandisk suddenly decides to pass on fixing the pitch bug.

Thats precisely what I mean… If you need it to be prefect test the tones and some other stuff. If you just wanna listen to your music and you dont hear a difference to begin with then why bother. My thinking is this, If you test a tone first and hear a difference, your brain could cause you to hear a difference in your regular music, when in all actuality you probably never would have noticed without the tests.