Pitch bug on Clip+?

@tapeworm wrote:

And given the direction this thread has taken, I still say it’s time to

Well, you _ can _ put your own personal lock on the topic and not open it if it doesn’t interest you.

Message Edited by donp on 09-20-2009 06:05 PM

@donp wrote:

Well, you _ can _ put your own personal lock on the topic and not open it if it doesn’t interest you.

The topic does interest me . . . it’s all the sniping, whining, personal attacks & negative attitudes that I don’t care for and feel don’t belong.

I’m not sure what a flagship product for SanDisk might be, but I would guess that the Clip has been one of SanDisk’s best-selling DAPs and one of the best regarded. 

A reason why it’s painful not to see its firmware upgraded and its being all it can be.  (I mean, the firmware upgrade is there in the Clip±-“just” move it on over to the Clip …)  The product deserves that much, in my humble opinion.

@miikerman wrote:

I’m not sure what a flagship product for SanDisk might be, but I would guess that the Clip has been one of SanDisk’s best-selling DAPs and one of the best regarded. 

No doubt the Clip has been a very popular and high volume-selling unit, but the Fuze since it’s inception (e200 series re-designed) has always been regarded as SanDisk’s flagship model. It’s got all the bells & whistles.

Tapeworm wrote: 

(e200 series re-designed) has always been regarded as SanDisk’s flagship model. It’s got all the bells & whistles.

Wouldn’t the View be the flagship model by the bell and whistle count?  More video formats, longer battery life, video out on the dock connector, bigger screen.

@tapeworm wrote:

Not to split hairs, but the Clip was hardly SanDisk’s ‘flagship’ model.

Oh, definitely not intentionally – but who can deny that the Clip became a cult favorite?  Who can deny that the Clip brought Sansa to the attention of many people who otherwise would never have given the brand a second thought?  Who can deny that the Clip resulted in MANY “secondary” sales of other models?

I know that if not for my having read the enthusiastic comments about the Clip, I personally would never have given it a second thought (having already purchased several Sansas of other series), since the Clip – up to that point – seemed to me to be a cheezy “me-too” attempt at copying a lame product (the Apple Shuffle) that I wouldn’t be caught dead with.  It seemed like a cruddy compromise, lacking the features that made the OTHER models worth having.

But, after reading the enthusiastic comments from Clip owners, I bought one – and then, bought many more (“many” meaning “more than I can remember” – I gave some away as gifts, kept some for spare parts, and use several).

Even WITH its shortcomings, I realized the incredible potential of this innovative design, and, like so many others, I believed in and trusted the companywhen they teased us along with the hope of another firmware drop.

So, in reality, it DID become a flagship product, so I stand by my statement to that effect.

@tapeworm wrote:

And given the direction this thread has taken, I still say it’s time to

[tacky padlock graphic trimmed]

If you don’t like the way a discussion is going, then of COURSE silence the other side.  Heaven forbid that ALL positions get the opportunity to make THEIR case.

I get a laugh out of people who believe in the First Amendment to such a degree that they become parodies of Voltaire’s statment – they are so dedicated to the concept that they’d be willing to fight to the death to preserve our right to AGREE with them.

Otherwise, we can shut up.

This is the earmark of a bankrupt position – the call for the other side to be silenced.

@tapeworm wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

No doubt the Clip has been a very popular and high volume-selling unit, but the Fuze since it’s inception (e200 series re-designed) has always been regarded as SanDisk’s flagship model. It’s got all the bells & whistles.

I never would have purchased my Fuze if not for having already experienced the Clip.  If I had not already owned some Clips, I never would have purchased a Fuze. Concept repeated in the hope it will register with people.

Before having owned the Clip, my concept of the Fuze was “overpriced ‘sell-up’ equivalent to the e200” – and since I already owned several e200 models, why bother?  I already had essentially the same feature set, at a lower price.

But, after using the Clip for a while, and REALLY enjoying the esthetics (the compact size, light weight, thin form factor – “elegant minimalism”), I realized that I would not mind having a player that was not all that much larger than the Clip (and even thinner!), that gave me an SD slot, and, equally if not more important, the ability to watch videos.

When I looked into things, and saw that the Fuze also offered an improved (over the e200) video player AND other features (folder browsing and so forth), that clinched the deal.

But I never would have bothered to DO the research that resulted in my seeing those advantages had not my appetite been whetted by my experience with the Clip.

This will serve as the last warning for this thread. It is going way off topic and becoming nothing more than an argument thread. If this continues the topic will be locked.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta 

Couldn’t agree more.  Let’s keep to the discussion about the pitch problem of the Clip and the Clip+.

I still don’t understand why those who believe there is no problem keep posting in these threads.  If you think there is nothing wrong with the Clip or Clip+, why the hell do you keep coming back here…

@warrior1986 wrote:

Couldn’t agree more.  Let’s keep to the discussion about the pitch problem of the Clip and the Clip+.

I still don’t understand why those who believe there is no problem keep posting in these threads.  If you think there is nothing wrong with the Clip or Clip+, why the hell do you keep coming back here…

I’m not going to go back & look through 12 pages of posts, but I don’t recall anyone claiming there was no problem (feel free to point them out if you’d like). There were some who said they could not hear any difference and therefore was happy with their Clip (or +) as-is, but I think there has been sufficient independent tests to conclude there is an issue.

But a large part of the problems with this thread is the animosity & general rudeness displayed by some. Case in point . . . your question “why the hell do you keep coming back here…”. There really isn’t a need for that tone or attitude, is there?

Once again, as sansafix requested and out of deference to the original poster, please keep posts on-point to the pitch issue, the subject of the thread?  (Otherwise, the forum’s personal message system can be used or separate threads can be started.)

Once again, as slotmonsta requested and out of deference to the original poster, please keep posts on-point to the pitch issue, the subject of the thread?  (Otherwise, the forum’s personal message system can be used or separate threads can be started.)

A fascinating study of Clip pitch matters:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&message.id=21308&query.id=44829#M21308

@miikerman wrote:

A fascinating study of Clip pitch matters:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&message.id=21308&query.id=44829#M21308

I know I read that a few hours ago… Its very thorough and I am excited to go to work tomorrow, and test the same experiment on the new industry standard test rig that my boss just installed today (I would use the real name but the e-mail about getting it left the name out). Its a dummy head with a computer that runs sound analysis software, so the human factor is out of it. I will be really anxious to see how some of my workstation does compared to my fuze, and clip. I will say this I have a very well trained ear (Its made my career) and I hear no difference between any of the players listed (yeah we have them all at the office), and the original recording session.

Ive said most of this before but since the “Fix” I havent tested a tone only recordings that I have engineered. 

I’m an original Clip & Fuze owner, and I’m investigating the Clip+ pros/cons.

Hello!? 12 pages of posts are a little intimidating!!  Can someone who’s been following this thread please clarify:

Does anyone deny that the pitch problem was (reasonably) fixed in the Clip+, as implied on page one of this discussion? 

Thanks!

Wow, ConversionBox, didn’t see you in a while.

@slotmonsta wrote:

All,

The SanDisk Firmware developers are aware of this issue and a fix is in the works for the Sansa Fuze and the Sansa Clip+. At this time due to development targeted on the Clip+, firmware for the original Clip is not currently under development. This may change in the future as time permits.

wavydavy,

All of the posts copy and pasting the same response simply are not necessary. If you continue to post these messages you will be ban from posting on this forum. This is your one and only warning. All of your duplicate posts will be deleted. You have gotten your point across and we would like to thank you for your contributions.  

Forum Admin

slotmonsta  

Message Edited by slotmonsta on 09-13-2009 02:46 PM

And so has there been any word back on this soltmonsta?  For a firmware upgrade and pitch fix for both the Clip and the Clip+?  Thank you.

Over the last few days there have been several meetings with Engineering, Marketing, and Product Management regarding the pitch issue some users have seen. Please see below a statement regarding the decision that was reached as a result of these meetings.

At SanDisk, our goal with our Sansa MP3 product line is to provide products which deliver a quality consumer experience at price points which are accessible to the majority of the population.  Our “value” positioning has served us well historically, although we acknowledge that occasionally our products do not live up to some users’ expectations.  The issues raised on this Forum regarding sound fidelity are important to us however due to trade-off decisions that were made in engineering these products to deliver superior consumer value at what we believe are extremely attractive price points, our sound fidelity isn’t perfect.  We have re-evaluated the possibility of reducing the pitch variation and due to the engineering trade-offs the decision was made to stay with the current design. Very few listeners, however, have noticed or complained about it as an issue in actual practice.  For those who can detect sound differences with their naked ears during actual use and not via frequency analysis, our products may not be the best choice for them.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta 

@slotmonsta wrote:

Over the last few days there have been several meetings with Engineering, Marketing, and Product Management regarding the pitch issue some users have seen. Please see below a statement regarding the decision that was reached as a result of these meetings.

At SanDisk, our goal with our Sansa MP3 product line is to provide products which deliver a quality consumer experience at price points which are accessible to the majority of the population.  Our “value” positioning has served us well historically, although we acknowledge that occasionally our products do not live up to some users’ expectations.  The issues raised on this Forum regarding sound fidelity are important to us however due to trade-off decisions that were made in engineering these products to deliver superior consumer value at what we believe are extremely attractive price points, our sound fidelity isn’t perfect.  We have re-evaluated the possibility of reducing the pitch variation and due to the engineering trade-offs the decision was made to stay with the current design. Very few listeners, however, have noticed or complained about it as an issue in actual practice.  For those who can detect sound differences with their naked ears during actual use and not via frequency analysis, our products may not be the best choice for them.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta 

While it may upset some people I have to say I am very Impressed by this response… It also echoes my thoughts on this matter… Sansa makes a product that is significantly less expensive than other player brands, and you get what you pay for in this sense. I have a couple of players that cost 4 figures, and they do sound better, but who wants to carry something like that when you run or are out and about I sure dont. So I applaud Sandisk for saying If you need better quality than what Sansa can offer for the price they offer it at, maybe you should find something else. 

@conversionbox wrote:

@slotmonsta wrote:

Forum Admin

slotmonsta 

While it may upset some people I have to say I am very Impressed by this response… It also echoes my thoughts on this matter… Sansa makes a product that is significantly less expensive than other player brands, and you get what you pay for in this sense. I have a couple of players that cost 4 figures, and they do sound better, but who wants to carry something like that when you run or are out and about I sure dont. So I applaud Sandisk for saying If you need better quality than what Sansa can offer for the price they offer it at, maybe you should find something else. 

I’m afraid I must disagree. If they had said, on the old Clip, it’s going to stay the way it is, that’s one thing. But to acknowledge the issue on a new player and state it will not be addressed, I find that extremely disappointing…and I never could hear the pitch offset with the naked ear.

The price comparison, examples have been brought up of even cheaper players that play the correct speed, so I don’t think that argument holds water either. I’ve been thinking about a Clip+ next spring as an outdoor, beater-type player…looks like I’ll be exploring other options now.:cry: