Pitch bug on Clip+?

PromisedPlanet wrote:

@microsansa wrote:

Okay, what’s going on in here?  Yes, there has been a delay in implementing a pitch correction for the Clip. 

I thought I read a post from another SanDisk employee, within the last week, that firmware development for the Clip had ceased?

Promised,

No one said that firmware development has ceased. All that was said is that due to other projects the original Clip firmware is not currently under development. This does NOT mean that firmware development will not continue in the future.

For Other in this thread,

Please keep your comments on topic and constructive or this thread will be locked.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta 

Oh, OK.  I read “not currently under development” as having reached end of life.  My bad.  Good to hear the Clip is still being supported.

That’s still a noncommittal answer.  Saying that firmware development may continue in the future doesn’t mean that it will.  It just sounds like what you say to children to get them to shut up.  I know I’m unlikely to get it but I would prefer to hear either yes there will be an update sometime in the future or no there will be no more updates.  Maybe generally means no.

@slotmonsta wrote:

For Other in this thread,

Please keep your comments on topic and constructive or this thread will be locked.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta 

I vote “Yay!”

(Just by c_oincidence, this self storage facility is in the same town as SanDisk’s corporate headquarters, Milpitas, CA_)

:smiley:

@tipsypenguin wrote:
That’s still a noncommittal answer.  Saying that firmware development may continue in the future doesn’t mean that it will.  It just sounds like what you say to children to get them to shut up.  I know I’m unlikely to get it but I would prefer to hear either yes there will be an update sometime in the future or no there will be no more updates.  Maybe generally means no.

Perhaps between slotmonsta’s earlier inquiry with the (developers?) and microsansa’s recent posting here, some more definitive answers will be forthcoming, in the short term?

even if they say no at least we will have an answer.  no hope is better than false hope.

@tipsypenguin wrote:
even if they say no at least we will have an answer.  no hope is better than false hope.

But even a glimmer of hope will stop all the bashing & negativity that has been poisoning the forum for everybody the last week or so. Haven’t you noticed how things have calmed down a bit?

False hope can have it’s purpose, albeit temporary.

Bashing?  Negativity?  Poisoning?  Yeesh, how much is Sandisk paying you…

Anyways, I agree with tipsy.  Either say yes there is a new firmware to fix the problem or no, we are no longer supporting the original Clip.  Simple and to the point.  Stop dragging it on by saying “Oh, maybe a fix will come.  We just don’t know when.”

@warrior1986 wrote:

Anyways, I agree with tipsy.  Either say yes there is a new firmware to fix the problem or no, we are no longer supporting the original Clip. 

But what if neither of these are true?  What if they temporarily focusing development efforts on the Clip+ firmware?

Sandisk is a large company that makes many more products besides the Sansas.  It’s entirely possible that the Sansa development team, consisting of who knows how many members (maybe a few guys in a lab), simply doesn’t know when management will allow them to go back to Clip firmware development. 

Which do you think is more important to Sandisk: resolving a pitch problem in the Clip of which only a small percentage of Clip owners are aware, or making sure that the new, shiny, attention-grabbing Clip+ is a stable product with all the hot features?

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 09-19-2009 04:46 PM

@promisedplanet wrote:

@warrior1986 wrote:

Anyways, I agree with tipsy.  Either say yes there is a new firmware to fix the problem or no, we are no longer supporting the original Clip. 

But what if neither of these are true?  What if they temporarily focusing development efforts on the Clip+ firmware?

Sandisk is a large company that makes many more products besides the Sansas.  It’s entirely possible that the Sansa development team, consisting of who knows how many members (maybe a few guys in a lab), simply doesn’t know when management will allow them to go back to Clip firmware development. 

Which do you think is more important to Sandisk: resolving a pitch problem in the Clip about which a small percentage of Clip owners are aware, or making sure that the new, shiny, attention-grabbing Clip+ is a stable product with all the hot features? 

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 09-19-2009 04:45 PM

Which do you think is more important to Sandisk: resolving a pitch problem in the Clip of which only a small percentage of Clip owners are aware, or making sure that the new, shiny, attention-grabbing Clip+ is a stable product with all the hot features?

Um… isn’t that something best addressed before the new product gets released?  (I’m guessing they did)

Message Edited by donp on 09-19-2009 09:39 PM

@donp wrote:

Um… isn’t that something best addressed before the new product gets released?  (I’m guessing they did)

One could assume they would have done that on the original Clip (& Fuze) too.

And they would be wrong. :stuck_out_tongue:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

In all due respect, I find almost all of your posts mean spirited or going out of your way to make a particular poster look bad.

LOL!

Pot, meet Kettle.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

I’m way past the point in my life to care what you or others think of me.

For someone who doesn’t give a **bleep** about what others think, you sure seem obsessed with nipping at their heels. You like to whine about other posters complaining, but from my casual glance at a few threads, it seems like I see YOUR name more than anyone else’s – no matter who talks, there YOU are, to try to shout them down, screech in their faces, demand they shut up, and then remind us – for the ten thousandth time – that you don’t care what anyone says. 

Get a life, Mr. Net Cop!

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

I will continue to speak my mind, and frankly I don’t care if you approve or not.

This is hilarious!

The guy who makes a career of telling other people to shut up, turns around and informs us that HE will continue to speak HIS mind, and, doesn’t care what WE think about it.

Well, guess what, Lord Ego – it’s a two-way street.  You are not God’s Gift to The Internet, sitting upon your throne, tasked with barking out orders to people telling them they may NOT speak – and then turning around and boasting of YOUR right to spout off at will.

I am certain you are not anything this arrogant in real life.  In person, you are probably one more Casper Milquetoaste, like so many of the keyboard commandos – bold brave dictators when sitting at their keyboard (often from mommy’s basement), but cringing little mice when confronted with real life.

This is the downside of the Internet.

Was it Gary Larson who drew that single cartoon box with a caption that began, “On the Internet, no one knows you’re…”?

@miikerman wrote:

Perhaps
between slotmonsta’s earlier inquiry with the (developers?) and
microsansa’s recent posting here, some more definitive answers will be
forthcoming, in the short term?

It’s possible that
they will eventually come to their senses and roll out the Clip FW
they’ve had under wraps, but one thing, IMO, is certain – if everyone
were to obey the self-appointed netcops – if everyone were to meekly
wait in silence, with a passive, submissive demeanor, not willing to
say anything more confrontational than a one-time “please, sir, may we
have one more?” – if the company knew that the umpteen gajillion Clip
owners would sit meekly, quietly, waiting politely – interminably –
they’d smile, perhaps guffaw, snicker something about “aw, ain’t they
cute?” – and then go on about their business.

If they
knew that should anyone some time down the road – six months, a year
or two, whatever – tap them on the shoulder and go, “ahem, about that
Clip firmware…” – if they knew that in a situation like that, all
they’d need to do is give a stern look, and say “Didn’t we tell you to
wait QUIETLY?” – that the meek, ever-patient Clip owner would reply
with a profound apology, a promise never to repeat his offense, and
then retire to wait in silience again – good grief.

At
the risk of waxing political, how do you thing basic human rights would
have progressed had Rosa Parks replied, “Oh, dear, I’m SO sorry, I
don’t know WHAT it was I was thinking! Of COURSE I’ll get to the back
of the bus, SIR!”

You think that things change because those who WANT change will sit meekly and silently?

I
swear, we’ve become the PERFECT consumer society.  Not only do most of
us meekly accept any kind of mistreatment, but those who DO speak up
against it are shouted down by the rest.

The science of Market Research has made great strides since the end
of the Second World War.  Read some Vance Packard and Wilson Bryan Key
some time.

@promisedplanet wrote:

Which do you think is the wiser option: Spending a small amount of resources to deploy an already developed product that  is nearly ready to go, to support a JUST-discontinued flagship product, which is used by millions of “evangelists” – or, telling them to take the proverbial long walk off a short pier, OFFENDING the key “viral marketers” that promote the product out in the trenches, in order to promote the launch of a NEW product?

How’s that been working for them so far?  Those faceless slot-things, and the “rent-to-not-own” chips, that they’ve been pouring all kinds of marketing money and effort into?   Can you say Dead On Arrival?  How long will it be before they’re unloading those silly things at three AM on the Home Shopping Channel?

The diehard Sansa freaks did NOT take to those things – and, “by coincidence” the MARKET ignored them too.

Is it THAT difficult for these ivory tower yuppies to figure out that the REASON that SOME of their products have sold like hotcakes is precisely because the people they are going out of their way to alienate NOW were out in the trenches PROMOTING them via word of mouth?

Sansa had the absolute BEST advertising imaginable – better than ANYTHING that money could buy.

And now, they’re taking a whiz on it, in order to make some balance sheet look pretty for the beancounters?

Stupid.  Just plain stupid.  Talk about “false economy” and this is the image that will spring to mind.

The “slot things” are the Microsoft BOB of the MP3 world.   Even Microsoft eventually had to throw in the rag on good ol’ “BOB” – and eventually Sansa will have to face the music too, no pun intended.

They have certain products that are winners, and some that are losers.  But treating their hardcore enthusiasts like dirt, on the basis of a logic that might be best translated as “Why should we waste our time supporting THOSE things?  We already sold them – we made our money – no reason to NOT walk away from them.  Caveat Emptor, after all!”

That’s the bottom line – by pulling a stunt like this – teasing us along for month after month – until they were ready to discontinue the product – they have essentially made “Caveat Emptor” their corporate slogan.

When people hear “Sansa” they will think “Yeah, looks nice, but ‘buyer beware’ – you never know when they’ll find a problem, and then, instead of fixing it, just drop the product and come out with a new model, and leave you hanging.”

If that’s the image you boys want, then all I can say is attaboy, you’re right on target.

To all forum members:  I know the administrators wanted this thread to remain on topic, but I’ll keep it brief.

I apologize if any of my comments came across poorly and seemed that I was telling the posters what should be important to them.  That was not my intention.  I was simply trying to convey what was important in a product, to me, Nothing more.

Again, I’m sorry that my comments have offended some.  I know we all use our products in a variety of ways, and what is important to you, may not be important to me and vice versa.

In the future I will try to reflect my comments in a manner to keep the discussion about the product and keep pesonalities out of the discussion…

@pickmorel wrote:

Which do you think is the wiser option: Spending a small amount of resources to deploy an already developed product that  is nearly ready to go, to support a JUST-discontinued flagship product, which is used by millions of “evangelists” – or, telling them to take the proverbial long walk off a short pier, OFFENDING the key “viral marketers” that promote the product out in the trenches, in order to promote the launch of a NEW product?

Not to split hairs, but the Clip was hardly SanDisk’s ‘flagship’ model.

@pickmorel wrote:

Not to split hairs, but the Clip was hardly SanDisk’s ‘flagship’ model.

And given the direction this thread has taken, I still say it’s time to

@tapeworm wrote:

And given the direction this thread has taken, I still say it’s time to

Well, you _ can _ put your own personal lock on the topic and not open it if it doesn’t interest you.

Message Edited by donp on 09-20-2009 06:05 PM

@donp wrote:

Well, you _ can _ put your own personal lock on the topic and not open it if it doesn’t interest you.

The topic does interest me . . . it’s all the sniping, whining, personal attacks & negative attitudes that I don’t care for and feel don’t belong.