Overdrive download help...

Fairly new with the clip, so any help would be appreciated. Downloaded an audiobook from Overdrive (via public library) then used Rhapsody to transmit to the clip. The book is sent to the music file as a .wma file and whenever you fast forward you get that annoying jump to the next next part without being able to FF to where you left off.

Tech support said the problem was that I should had looked for an option in Overdrive to download the file as an .aa (I think I heard that right) file so the book could go into the audiofile folder. I can’t seem to find such an option with overdrive. What am I doing wrong??  Getting rid of the FF problem would make this a great player I’d highly recommend to others.

The tech support person is wrong.  .aa files are Audible files, a completely different format from Overdrive.  The fast forward issue is a known bug that sansafix has said they are working on.  I would trust him as he was spot on regarding fixes to other issues and within a week or so the fix was released.  He says they are working on a firmware fix for the problem you are describing.  Give it a week or so and I am sure the firmware update will be released.  Stay posted to this site as sansafix is very prompt in updating the forum when an update is released.

Good luck, the device is great and I am sure you will be happy when this one issue is fixed.

sibion

Message Edited by sibion on 11-26-2007 08:50 PM

Please check to see which firmware do you have on your player.  If you have this firmware: 1.01.17, then it should fix the problem with fast forward.  If you have earlier version which is 1.01.11, please upgrade to 1.01.17 so you can get the fix.

I started following the forum soon after buying the Clip and was tickled to death when I read that 1.01.17 was supposed to fix the FF problem. It took 4 trys but I got 1.01.17 successfully updated on the Clip. I was excited, tried to fast forward Part 1 of a book containing 63 minutes of audio and **bleep**! after fast forwarding just 11 minutes worth of file, the Clip jumps to Part 2.

All I can say is, I ended up with wma files after downloading from Overdrive, I go into My Computer with the Clip USB connected and “Audiobook” won’t even show up as a file - Music does, which is where Overdrive/Rhapsody puts my book files.

I’m not giving up, it sure is a nice, inexpensive player, but Bookmark or FF have to come along soon to make me a believer in Sansa Clip.

hodge,

it is confirmed from sansafix on this forum that FF on overdrive/netlibrary wma audiobooks was not fixed by 01.01.17 firmware release.  He has also assured us that they are working on a fix for this now and it will be released as soon as the fix is appropriately tested.  As an IT guy myself, it is important they do thorough testing so they don’t break another important feature when they fix an existing bug.  Be patient and stay tuned. 

As for bookmarking Overdrive…well that is a wishlist item that should be put on the list on this forum somewhere as I have not hear of any momentum in that direction from the mods or sansafix to date.

sibion

Oops…yeah my bad on that…Firmware 1.01.17 did not fix the FF problem yet but I heard that a new firmware is coming which will address those issues so please be patient and I think you will be able to enjoy your audiobooks from overdrive…cheers.

I have been having similar problems.  I wish they would update the folks in the service department.  I just today had a reply telling me my unit was defective and should be returned.  It sounds as if you have all heard that this is a known glitch and they are trying to solve it.  I love this little player but it is definately the overdrive audio books I want to use it on and not being able to fast forward or resume mid-file on these files drives me a little crazy.  Does anyone know where I should watch for the latest updates?  I have a hard time using the “updater” they keep telling me to install.  I learn more from these forums than from anywhere else.  Thanks everybody.

Delfsmith wrote:

I have been having similar problems.  I wish they would update the folks in the service department.  I just today had a reply telling me my unit was defective and should be returned.  It sounds as if you have all heard that this is a known glitch and they are trying to solve it.  I love this little player but it is definately the overdrive audio books I want to use it on and not being able to fast forward or resume mid-file on these files drives me a little crazy.  Does anyone know where I should watch for the latest updates?  I have a hard time using the “updater” they keep telling me to install.  I learn more from these forums than from anywhere else.  Thanks everybody.

keep a watch hereon this forum for the new firmware to be posted.

Thanks for the advise.  I have bookmarked the forum since it seems more effective than the actual helpdesk.  Though the helpdesk folks were very nice and quick to reply but they don’t seem to have the full details on this issue.  Thanks

You’re going to need to use the updater at some point. It works best for me if I click on check now instead of leaving it automatic. I’m also looking forward to the overdrive fix. In the meantime, Audible works great with this.

I updated the firmware to the .17a one and now I can’t even connect to my computer.  Tried all the tricks so far and still no good. How am I going to be able to install new firmware if my computer can’t see the device. Device says it’s connected but that’s it.

Have you checked if you are in MTP or MSC mode?  It seems to make a difference and once I updated to .17 it showed up as an option in my Settings menu.  There is a spot that says USB mode.  Try switching modes and plugging in, see if the system recognizes you then.  If not I would send a request for help to the helpdesk too.  They are pretty quick with turn around.

Hope this helps, maybe someone else knows more.

Try using device manager to remove the device and then the wizard may find it again.

Another trick is to use Regedit and find and delete the device Cached USB ID:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\Vid_0781&Pid_7432

If you delete this key the Clip should then be re-identified by windows xp.

Message Edited by sansafix on 11-30-2007 02:03 PM

Message Edited by sansafix on 11-30-2007 02:07 PM