One side of the audio cuts out!

My first Clip lost one side of the audio for no reason I could understand. If I wiggled the earphone jack, it would sometimes come on. I opened it up and the audio jack housing was cracked! The same problem is happening to my new Clip. I opened it to see if I could salvage it, but the housing is intact. Very odd. Anyone know a good way to fix this so I can continue to use my player? I can’t afford a new one!

The only way would be to replace the headphone jack if you’re handy with a very small-tipped soldering iron.

Aren’t there several instances of this kind of thing happening to people who are using their players while running? I remember some posts where the users were stressing the jack too much with the way they were wearing them.

@amazingbollweev wrote:

The same problem is happening to my new Clip. I opened it to see if I could salvage it, but the housing is intact. Very odd. Anyone know a good way to fix this so I can continue to use my player? I can’t afford a new one!

Are you still covered by SanDisk’s 1-year warranty?

It doesn’t have to be running. You can wreck the headphone jack if you just leave it plugged in with the cord wrapped around the unit, which puts constant pressure on the jack. The best way to preserve a new unit would be to have a short connector cord that’s flexible, a noodle cord, with the headphones plugged into that…but nobody goes that far.

@black_rectangle wrote:

The best way to preserve a new unit would be to have a short connector cord that’s flexible, a noodle cord, with the headphones plugged into that…but nobody goes that far.

I do, in the car and at my desk–but also in part because the connectors I use are right-angle connectors, which I prefer to avoid having the cable connected to the Clip from jutting out, which I’ve found is more prone to accidents.

1 Like

@miikerman wrote:

@black_rectangle wrote:

The best way to preserve a new unit would be to have a short connector cord that’s flexible, a noodle cord, with the headphones plugged into that…but nobody goes that far.

I do, in the car and at my desk–but also in part because the connectors I use are right-angle connectors, which I prefer to avoid having the cable connected to the Clip from jutting out, which I’ve found is more prone to accidents.

^ True dat!