Ok many problems

Great news!

Now back up that music on your laptop somewhere else, like on a memory card, CD, or external hard drive. :wink:

Ok more bad news .__. It continued to be fine all day, played it in my car for a few hours, then all of a sudden it shut off when I switched a song in the car & when I turned it back on it got to the Sansa symbol that appears at first, & I haven’t been able to get it past this point no matter what I do, & the computer doesn’t recognize it =L

Reset it.

Glad to see it worked out for you. You might consider looking into Amazon Cloud (google it). They let you backup 5-GB of music to their servers, no charge. It’s real easy too.

Tapeworm:: I can’t, it won’t go past the symbol at startup.

I’ll assume you have an original Clip, with the round wheel and blue ring.  Reset the devive by holding the power slider in the ON position for about 20 seconds, release, then try again.

If you have the newer Clip+, press and hold the power button on top for 20 seconds.

In either case, once the device is live, transfer your music to the hard drive as a backup!

Bob  :wink:

Ok, tried that (I have the original btw), & it just stayed at the Sandisk symbol like it always does =L

@tanya12 wrote:

Ok, tried that (I have the original btw), & it just stayed at the Sandisk symbol like it always does =L

Did it shut down? If not, continue holding the power button until it does (it will eventually) and then for another 20 secs. after that to insure it actually resets instead of simply shutting down with the same issue that caused it to freeze up in the 1st place.

Tried it, no success =| BTW sometimes right before it shuts down, for a couple seconds it will say “Not enough disk space for music DB. Please free 30MB.” then it shuts off. It only does this when I try holding something down, like the reset process I tried. I know the memory isn’t full, it has about a quarter of it free.

Since the player can’t turn on, your only recourse is to connect it to the pc and format it using the pc. This will delete all the songs on the player. After you disconnect it, the player should now be able to turn on. Format the player using the player’s menu. Now you can reconnect the player to your pc and copy the songs to it again.

Problem is the computer doesn’t recognize it anymore now that it started doing this. It says “USB device not recognized”, so nothing can be done with it through the PC either… I went to RadioShack & bought a new one today, a Clip+ since the regular Clip isn’t sold anymore, & I have all my music on it now… The guy who worked there couldn’t figure out how to fix the Clip either. RIP pink Clip :frowning:

it sounds like the memory in your old Clip became defective. Flash memory doesn’t last forever, and after a while it can wear out or become defective. I guess you probably used your Clip for at least 3  years, so you got your value out of it.

Agreed… 2 & a half years to be exact.

Flash memory is pretty robust. Assuming that you’ve used your player normally, I would think it kind of unlikely that the flash memory lifespan has been “used up.”

More likely, I would think, is a player operating system/firmware or drive malfunction. But not sure how you can fix this, if you can’t get into the player’s system one way or another. (In situations like this, I generally think that it would be best to re-flash the firmware. But if you can’t get into the system . . . .)

By any chance, can you connect to your computer and then right click on the device and run a Windows error correction (chkdsk) on the drive (or a reformat)? Otherwise, you might want to telephone SanDisk Customer Service about this and see if they can suggest anything. (Or, also, search in the SanDisk Knowledgebase on this. http://kb.sandisk.com/))

Nope, it doesn’t recognize it when I try to connect it, so there’s nothing to right-click… & I searched the Knowledgebase, as well as posting this same question there, & it told me the same thing you did about doing it through the PC.

Argggh–it’s a Catch-22 situation:  you need to connect up to fix the issue, but you can’t connect up to do so.

I doubt that this would work, but leaving the Clip connected to an AC source for a few days seems to result in a trickle charge, that sometimes gets the Clip moving again.  However, this seems to be where the charge for the player has gotten below the bottom level, not for a system issue.

You might want to telephone SanDisk Customer Service and see if they have any workaround for the issue.  In the U.S.:  1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us 

@miikerman wrote:

You might want to telephone SanDisk Customer Service and see if they have any workaround for the issue.  In the U.S.:  1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us 

Except the original Clip is now in “legacy” (discontinued) status and therefore only supported via e-mail, so I doubt they’re going to be much help on the phone.

Have you tried un-installing it in Device Manager, rebooting and then see if it’s picked up when plugged it again?

Somehow though, I still think you need to re-visit the ‘reset’ procedure. Holding it longer and/or multiple tries may bring it back from the dead.

It’s not even in the device manager =\ & I thought the same about the resetting thing, maybe it’ll work with multiple tries/holding it forever, but no matter how many times I tried, no such luck.

@tanya12 wrote:

It’s not even in the device manager =\ & I thought the same about the resetting thing, maybe it’ll work with multiple tries/holding it forever, but no matter how many times I tried, no such luck. http://buyessays.cheap/buy-term-papers-cheap/

Any chance you’ve found our how to solve this?

@amandavernon wrote:

Any chance you’ve found our how to solve this?

Any chance you could spam somewhere else? :angry: