No software, no pickup...

I’ve had my Clip for over a year with one replacement. With the replacement came a new disk, the one you use to install it into the comp so it will pick up the device. However, my dad had to wipe the computer memory so now the computer won’t pick up on the clip. It bugs me and I even tried downloading something but it was only to update something I don’t have. Is it possible to be sent another disk or to download something that will allow the comp to pick up on the clip?

The Clip doesn’t need the disk you originally received, which likely contained Rhapsody software or software for the Best Buy music store. 

Did you try connecting in MSC mode?  Clip on hold, and then press the center button down as you connect the Clip to your computer.  With more recent Clip firmware, you also can set the Clip to MSC mode under Setting/USB, so you don’t have to do the above to connect.  

well I don’t have Rhapsody or any other music programs…I get all my music from bought CDs…

Yeah, I’ve tried but nothing…I did however use an old cell phone charger and got it to charge but what happens when I want to download music and my computer still finds it foreign? And what do you mean set my MP3 to MSC mode? There’s an option on the device to do that?

((never mind,I swithed it to the MSC mode. now the comp picks it up and even the updater is working. Thanks for the tip))

Message Edited by zeldacat on 04-01-2009 03:34 PM

The Clip can can connect up to your computer using either of 2 different USB software connection modes:  MSC and MTP.  Of the 2, MSC is more “universal” and has fewer software requirements from your computer.  You can force an MSC mode connection:  as stated above, put the Clip on switch into the hold position, and then press the Clip’s center button down as you connect the Clip to your computer.  The Clip also can be set to connect in MSC mode automatically, under the firmware starting a little more than a year:  on the Clip, press the home button (the one with the little house), scroll to Settings, scroll to USB, and choose MSC.  Hopefully, that will do it for you.

If not, for MTP mode, make sure you have Windows XP SP2 or higher/Vista, plus WMP 10 or above. 

@zeldacat wrote:

((never mind,I swithed it to the MSC mode. now the comp picks it up and even the updater is working. Thanks for the tip))

Great to hear!