No more High setting in music volume?

I suggest that you return it or exchange it while you still can.  It may just be a defective unit.

Could it be that the songs are in a format or were ripped using a riprate that the Clip doesn’t like? What is the format and riprate of some of the songs? (I doubt that this could be the issue, but stranger things have happened.)

@babbababba wrote:

Yes I did update the firmware and also tried formatting the player but with no success unfortunately. I don’t know what to try next.

What exactly do you mean no success? You were unsuccessful in formatting the player, or some files are still playing erratically?

Like I said before, audio randomly cutting out probably means theres a short connection somewhere or a burned out transistor.  I don’t think formatting or updating the firmware is going to fix that.  

@saratoga wrote:

Like I said before, audio randomly cutting out probably means theres a short connection somewhere or a burned out transistor.  I don’t think formatting or updating the firmware is going to fix that.  

Quite possibly not. But it’s the only things one can try before declaring it defective and returning it.

@babbababba wrote:

Ok I see. Well it was bought yesterday and have been the same from the start so it must be some manufacturing error then. I have tried many different headphones without much difference.

thanks

Try pushing in the headphone plug some more, even if you think it’s already all the way in. These players have a notoriously tight jack when new, and not having the plug all the way in can cause the problem you describe.

1 Like

@gwk1967 wrote:

@babbababba wrote:

Ok I see. Well it was bought yesterday and have been the same from the start so it must be some manufacturing error then. I have tried many different headphones without much difference.

thanks

Try pushing in the headphone plug some more, even if you think it’s already all the way in. These players have a notoriously tight jack when new, and not having the plug all the way in can cause the problem you describe.

Ah, that’s right! Been so long since anybody mentioned this, I’d forgotten about it.

Great suggestion George!

Thanks for the tip!

FYI, selecting “North America” did not work either; had to select “Rest of World”. :smiley:

Thanks from me too.  Spent all night trying to figure it out why I suddenly couldn’t turn it up past a whisper.   Was ready to throw it in the trash.  

Thanks from me too, Summerlove.  Spent all night trying to figure it out why I suddenly couldn’t turn it up past a whisper.   Was ready to throw it in the trash.  

Tried doing the reset but it makes no difference. my volume is very low and there is no difference whether it is set to high or low, very disappointing.

But you have a hi and low volume setting, and you’re set to hi? If you don’t have that option, reset the player to its player defaults (under the player’s system settings options–we’re not talking a reset by holding the power button down), or reapply the latest firmware (see the firmware upgrade sticky thread at the top of the forum), and choose a non-EU region when you choose your region, which then should offer you hi and low volume options under volume, under the player’s system settings.

@angell33 wrote:

Tried doing the reset but it makes no difference. my volume is very low and there is no difference whether it is set to high or low, very disappointing.

Don’t take this the wrong way because we’ve heard this before, but . . . are you pressing the UP (top) volume button on the side of the player?

Original Clip

Volume UP is #10

Clip +

Volume UP is #13

Dear Tapeworm,  Thank you so much, I did not know there was a volume switch on the side, no mention of it in the instructionbook, volume is fine now.

Perhaps to help:

The Clip manual:

http://www.sandisk.com/media/175960/clip_um_0608_eng.pdf

The volume controls are discussed on p. 4.

The Clip+ manual: 

http://mp3support.sandisk.com/downloads/um/clip±en-um.pdf

The volume controls are discussed on p. 4.

Is this solution valid for a Sansa Clip Zip 4GB ?

@cfwnap43 wrote:

Is this solution valid for a Sansa Clip Zip 4GB ?

Yep. :smiley:

I’ve just followed your instructions and chose Japanese as a non-European option.  Now all text is in Japanese!  Help please! 

@kaygee,  your post is blank.  If you’re using internet explorer 9, put it in compatibility mode so we can see the text in your post.

@kaygee wrote:

I’ve just followed your instructions and chose Japanese as a non-European option.  Now all text is in Japanese!  Help please! 

I think you misunderstood the instructions to get the high volume setting. 

No worries, to get back to English as the language, just turn the player OFF if it’s on, then turn it on and after it boots up, press the home button.  Scroll to the settings icon and press select.  then press the down part of the pad three times and press select (that will be the system settings option).  Then press down three more times and press select again.  That’s the language option.  English is the first option.  You know what to do from there.  :wink: