New Sansa Clip+ will not work with 16gb Micro SD

I have tried a samsung 16gb Micro SD, when that didn’t work I returned it and got a Samsung 16gb Micro SD card.First I tried to just plug it into the MP3 player, stuck at refreshing my media screen. I have tried to format it using SDFormatter, same thing, stuck refreshing my media. My player was set to auto detect USB, I set it on MTC, no luck. I have read all the threads regarding this issue and nothing suggested worked for me. What gives? What kind of product requires this much fooling around in order to get what was promised when I bought it, the ability to add on more memory.

Help, this is a gift my Mom is patiently waiting for (which she paid for)

Robert

1st sentence should read:  “when that didn’t work I returned it and got a  SanDisk 16gb Micro SD Card.”

Also, I just bought this off of Amazon.com and it does have the latest bios.

Robert

With new sansa players, sometimes the ports and slots are a little tight.  When you inserted the card, were you able to hear two faint clicks as the mechanism caught the card and then locked it into place?  After the card is inserted, is the outer edge of the card flush or just about with the right side of the player?

If this is so, then the card slot may be defective.

You might try:  resetting the player (hold the on switch down for 20-30 seconds); and reapplying the latest firmware (it can become corrupt)–see the firmware upgrade sticky thread at the top of the forum.

What a co-winky-dink! 2 Samsung memory card issues in the past couple of days. Seems you’re not the only one with this issue.

Honestly though, this is the 1st (actually the 2nd) report we’ve heard about this since the Clip+ was introduced 2 years ago (Wow, has it actually been that long?).

yes 2 clicks it is just about flush.

Extract the zip file??? It is an EXE file…

The firmware file is a zip one named “clipplus01.02.15.zip”.  You may have downloaded the Updater which you don’t need for the clip+.  It’s highly unlikely that there will be anymore updates for the player.  Click on the link for “Firmware Download for All Regions” and you’ll get the file you’re looking for.

Gotcha, I installed the firmware, and I still am locked up when I insert the 16gb card. So does this mean I just wasted 2 weeks and I have to return the Clip+???

Same deal w/Samsung 8 gig micro SD cards.  These say micro SD HC, while the older 2 gig I’ve been using simply says microSD.  Won’t handle the higher cap cards, maybe?

Are there audio files on the card? Might want to remove the files and see if the Clip+ will read a blank card. Perhaps there’s something wrong with the audio files if any are loaded to the card and the Clip is choking when it reads the file(s).

I use a Sandisk 16GB microsd card in my 4GB Clip+ and have no problems with it. Have several gigs of audio mp3 files on it and the Clip+ has no trouble refreshing when I load it into the microsd slot on the Clip+.

It will not load even on a blank card, same effect refreshing your media…lock.

I only added one properly tagged cd album to the card in order to locate it faster among my 7gb already on the device itself, which by the way works fine.

@kauman wrote:

Same deal w/Samsung 8 gig micro SD cards.  These say micro SD HC, while the older 2 gig I’ve been using simply says microSD.  Won’t handle the higher cap cards, maybe?

Nonsense.

< 2GB = SD format

> 2GB = SDHC (High Capacity)

And all SanDisk mp3 players have supported the SDHC format clear back to the e200v2 series about 4 years ago.

@rad1964 wrote:

It will not load even on a blank card, same effect refreshing your media…lock.

I only added one properly tagged cd album to the card in order to locate it faster among my 7gb already on the device itself, which by the way works fine.

This suggestion is a long shot, but it worked for one user a long time ago.  If you had been inserting the card with the player on, try doing it with the player while it’s off.

Whether this works or not to stop the frozen refresh, it still means, IMHO, that something is defective with the slot.  Normally, it should not matter whether the player is on or off when inserting or removing a card.

Yep already tried it while player was off.

I have built my own PC for the last 6 years I am no stranger to troubleshooting. This product seems defective.

Robert

Dude, no need to get all snippy.  The cards still don’t work.  Look at the other posts.

Took the SanDisk 8 gig micro out of my Nook Color, replaced it with the Samsung & put the SanDisk in the Clip+.  Both cards work fine in their respective devices now.  Go figger…

@kauman wrote:

Took the SanDisk 8 gig micro out of my Nook Color, replaced it with the Samsung & put the SanDisk in the Clip+.  Both cards work fine in their respective devices now.  Go figger…

Sometimes, for the good and the bad of it, the Clips can be less than 100% consistent.   ;)   Kinda like computers.   :wink:

@kauman wrote:

Dude, no need to get all snippy.  The cards still don’t work.  Look at the other posts.

Just a thought, but:  are you giving the refresh sufficient time?  I know this sounds silly, but, the refresh can take significant time depending on the card and it can appear, with the progress bar moving so slowly, that the device is frozen.  And it can take some time for the process to appear to be actually starting to begin with.

@rad1964 wrote:

I have tried a samsung 16gb Micro SD, when that didn’t work I returned it and got a Samsung 16gb Micro SD card.First I tried to just plug it into the MP3 player, stuck at refreshing my media screen. I have tried to format it using SDFormatter, same thing, stuck refreshing my media. My player was set to auto detect USB, I set it on MTC, no luck. I have read all the threads regarding this issue and nothing suggested worked for me. What gives? What kind of product requires this much fooling around in order to get what was promised when I bought it, the ability to add on more memory.

Help, this is a gift my Mom is patiently waiting for (which she paid for)

Robert

Just a thought, but:  are you giving the refresh sufficient time?  I know this sounds silly, but, the refresh can take significant time depending on the card and it can appear, with the progress bar moving so slowly, that the device is frozen.  And it can take some time for the process to appear to be actually starting to begin with.