New Release for Sansa Clip FW 1.01.17

jagfan wrote:

Thanks johnnyz86 - that did it.

Jagfan, where did you get the older version of the firmware updater?  If it still exists on some website, it should be removed.  Thanks.

I obtained the download from the Sansa download support page:

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1376

jagfan wrote:

I obtained the download from the Sansa download support page:

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1376

But that’s the one that you just downloaded, which worked, right?  I’m talking about the older one that wasn’t working for you.

PromisedPlanet wrote:

jagfan wrote:
I obtained the download from the Sansa download support page:http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1376

But that’s the one that you just downloaded, which worked, right?  I’m talking about the older one that wasn’t working for you.

Actually it is not the one I just downloaded.  That download is a 3.26MB file which didn’t work.  I copied and pasted into my browser Sansafix’s 2nd link below which was the correct file:

http://mp3support.sandisk.com/sansa/Installer/1082/SansaUpdaterInstall.exe

That file is 3.09MB and nowhere to be found on the Sansa site.  Very confusing, I know.

jagfan wrote:

Actually it is not the one I just downloaded.  That download is a 3.26MB file which didn’t work.  I copied and pasted into my browser Sansafix’s 2nd link below which was the correct file:

http://mp3support.sandisk.com/sansa/Installer/1082/SansaUpdaterInstall.exe

That file is 3.09MB and nowhere to be found on the Sansa site.  Very confusing, I know.

I called Sandisk tech support and asked them about this … supposedly they’re going to look into it.

PromisedPlanet wrote:

I called Sandisk tech support and asked them about this … supposedly they’re going to look into it.

Great - I was planning to make the call a little later.  Don’t have to now. Thanks.

Thank you for this update, and so quickly after the initial release. I originally posted about the voice recording sample rate, and the newly increased sample rate sounds great–noticeably more natural and open sounding than before. The idea another poster had for a selectable sample rate (or an even higher-quality rate) would be great, of course, but I’m pleased with this update–I’ve already been enjoying the Clip a lot and now it’s suddenly a lot closer to my “ideal”. Thanks for making this great little device even more useful!

Kevin

jagfan wrote:

PromisedPlanet wrote:

Great - I was planning to make the call a little later.  Don’t have to now. Thanks.

It’s been fixed.  http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1376 now points to Sansa Firmware Updater V1.082.

OK. I had the wrong updater. I don’t remember how I found it, but I uninstalled it and reinstalled the correct version. However, I still got a message saying that I needed to change modes. I followed the instructions given (put on hold and press middle button) then it updated the firmware. Now, should I change modes back? How do I know what mode I’m in? Does it matter?

rspease wrote:

OK. I had the wrong updater. I don’t remember how I found it, but I uninstalled it and reinstalled the correct version. However, I still got a message saying that I needed to change modes. I followed the instructions given (put on hold and press middle button) then it updated the firmware. Now, should I change modes back? How do I know what mode I’m in? Does it matter?

That’s weird … I didn’t need to put my Clip into MSC mode to update the firmware.  As a matter of fact, it’s plugged into my PC in MTP mode now, and I can right-click on the Firmware Updater taskbar, select “Check for updates now”, and it shows me my firmware version and the latest firmware version available.

If you disconnect your player, it’ll revert to MTP mode automatically.  You’ll know you’re in MTP mode if you open up My Computer and see the Clip shown with name “Sansa Clip 2GB” (or 1GB), type “Portable Media Player”.  If you’re in MSC mode, it’ll show up as type “Removable Disk”, and will have a drive letter assigned to it, similar to the hard disk on your PC.

Different people prefer one mode or the other.  Probably most people use MTP mode … you don’t have to fool around with the hold switch and middle button, and you can copy DRM-protected (licensed) content onto the Clip.  Some people like to use MSC mode because, among other things, they may have a program that will access the Clip’s memory directly, and that program requires that the memory be accessible as a “disk” (have a drive letter).

Thanks! I feel like such a ‘newbie’ since I’m not only new to the Clip, but this is also my first portable music device. I’m learning all kinds of new alphabet soup info, like DRM and MSC, etc. Hopefully I won’t be too much of a pest!

why in the usb settings is there auto setting | mtp, but no exclusive msc mode?

edit: typo

edit2: as I understand it now, it’s mandatory to start in mtp due to license agreement with microsoft. bummer…

Message Edited by hakujin on 11-23-2007 06:05 PM

Message Edited by hakujin on 11-23-2007 07:46 PM

I don’t think there’s any reason (legally or otherwise) why Sandisk can’t add “MSC” to the USB Mode menu.  Maybe in a future firmware release …

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 11-23-2007 11:14 PM

i would be more supportive of the msc only mode if i could see the **bleep** MTP files in MSC mode.  so annoying when putting files on it as a usb drive and going to a computer that is different.  also, MTP is a little bit faster copying and a LOT faster refreshing the database. 

i want ALL files in MSC the most, more/lower volume steps, then a click fast forward by percent next as MSC mode is really easy to get into.

Okay,  i’m just about done.  I still can’t get the latest firmware on this thing.  Downloaded the latest Updater about 20 times…“Installation failed…try again later”.  Yeah, screw you, Updater.

“I don’t think there’s any reason (legally or otherwise) why Sandisk can’t add “MSC” to the USB Mode menu.  Maybe in a future firmware release …”

So why would you not think that if MSC is not on there now? If MIcrosoft licenses MTP technology, wouldn’t they have a right to make contingencies on its use?

I’m not saying it won’t happen, but it would make sense WHY it wouldn’t happen; moreso why it has not already happened. More fundamental question might be why support MTP in the 1st place. DRM is going out of style and just servers to cripple music playback options…

@hakujin wrote:
“I don’t think there’s any reason (legally or otherwise) why Sandisk can’t add “MSC” to the USB Mode menu.  Maybe in a future firmware release …”

So why would you not think that if MSC is not on there now? If MIcrosoft licenses MTP technology, wouldn’t they have a right to make contingencies on its use?

I suppose, but there are other players out there that are MTP/MSC selectable via the firmware.  Maybe this is a recently-made contingency?  Or only applies currently to Sansas or the Clip?

so they seemed to have gottren rid of the negative preamp with the EQ’s including custom which really ■■■■■ for us low volume listeners.  now they definitely need to add lower volulmes or a preamp option.

How come the updater only starts in MSC mode. If I just plug in to charge without forcing MSC everything seems normal except the updater does not start and the window which asks what would you like to do is blank. Any info or explanations would be appreciated.

Duke927 wrote:

How come the updater only starts in MSC mode. If I just plug in to charge without forcing MSC everything seems normal except the updater does not start and the window which asks what would you like to do is blank. Any info or explanations would be appreciated.

One thing I discovered today is that the installation of the Updater appears to have a bug.  It sets up a Windows service to run on startup, but the Windows service points to C:\Program Files\SanDisk\Sansa Updater\SansaSvr.exe, which doesn’t exist, or at least on my system it doesn’t.  I’m not sure what it should point to; both SansaUpdater.exe and SansaDispatch.exe don’t work as a service.  I sent an email to Sandisk tech support.