New Player... not enough power to go to msc mode... device not charging

any ideas? this is majorly frustrating to me

This may not be the answer, but I had a similar problem with another USB-based device. Once I switched to a USB 2.0 port the problem cleared up.

Model of player?

New or re-furb?

Try different USB port? On desktops, back ones work best.

Try different computer?

Try AC-USB (wall) charger?

Try ‘forcing’ MSC mode? Different button presses while plugging into computer depending on model.

Model of player?

New or re-furb?

Type of computer/OS?

Try different USB port? On desktops, back ones work best.

Try different computer?

Try AC-USB (wall) charger?

Try ‘forcing’ MSC mode? Different button presses while plugging into computer depending on model.

You also can try leaving it charging for 2+ days–this can trickle-charge a stubborn player into getting back to normal. 

Model of player? sansa clip +

New or re-furb? bought new

Type of computer/OS? windows 7 home premium

Try different USB port? On desktops, back ones work best. tried all 7 usb ports i have access to

Try different computer? 2 different pcs (1 desktop, 1 laptop), same result

Try AC-USB (wall) charger? no ac charger… its been ordered

Try ‘forcing’ MSC mode? Different button presses while plugging into computer depending on model. no idea how to do this, any idea?

i left the player plugged into the laptop i’m currently typing on for 3 hrs… player turns on, then shuts off immediately ONLY when connected via usb to the laptop. when trying to turn on without connection, doesn’t turn on at all

1 more thing… i bought this literally less than a day ago, and its still not working

@twofry wrote:

1 more thing… i bought this literally less than a day ago, and its still not working

Sounds like you got a defective unit.  Normally, there’s plenty of power in the battery right out-of-the-box from my experience.

From what I have read, the trickle-charge continues on even though the player turns off.  Leave it to trickle charge a couple of days + and then try turning it on, and then charge it fully. 

Oh, and if the place you bought the player from is nearby, you just might want to exchange the player for another one, rather than trying to get the player up and running.  Otherwise, you might want to try the trickle-charge solution (see above) first–if your player still won’t charge after trying solutions, contact the seller.  Or SanDisk, which will send you a new unit, assuming you’re under warranty (which you should be, for a new player). 

@twofry wrote:

Take (or send) it back now! If it’s defective out-of-the-box you shouldn’t have to waste time in diagnosing and/or coercing it to work as it should (but isn’t).

I’m all for trying to cure a hiccup in a player. These things happen sometimes. Other times problems people have are due to their own ignorance or mis-understanding of how the player works. This is not the case here. This is clearly a DOA unit from the git-go. You paid for a working unit. You do not have a working unit. Contact your dealer immediately and get it exchanged. You deserve nothing less.

i understand, and thanks for the advice. i’ll get it replaced on monday (tomorrow)

@tapeworm wrote:

@twofry wrote:

Take (or send) it back now! If it’s defective out-of-the-box you shouldn’t have to waste time in diagnosing and/or coercing it to work as it should (but isn’t).

I’m all for trying to cure a hiccup in a player. These things happen sometimes. Other times problems people have are due to their own ignorance or mis-understanding of how the player works. This is not the case here. This is clearly a DOA unit from the git-go. You paid for a working unit. You do not have a working unit. Contact your dealer immediately and get it exchanged. You deserve nothing less.

If it’s an easy return (like a store in the area or Amazon, which covers return shipping), sure.  But if you have to cover the postage or it’s a hassle, leaving it to trickle-charge and see if it might get back to normal, why not.  

@miikerman wrote:

If it’s an easy return (like a store in the area or Amazon, which covers return shipping), sure.  But if you have to cover the postage or it’s a hassle, leaving it to trickle-charge and see if it might get back to normal, why not.  

It’s a matter of principle (to me anyway). If I buy something and it’s DOA right off the bat, that is not what I paid for. I want a new replacement whatever, in new condition and working order. If someone is going to charge me return shipping in order to exchange something they sold me that was defective, I will just get my money back. I’ll pay the return shipping, but then give my money to another dealer who is more responsible towards their customers.

If someone rips me off, they’ll only do it once. I won’t give them a second chance. There’s simply too much competition to put up with dealers or businesses who don’t take care of their customers as they should.

I will now step down from my soapbox.

@miikerman wrote:

It’s a matter of principle (to me anyway). If I buy something and it’s DOA right off the bat, that is not what I paid for. I want a new replacement whatever, in new condition and working order. If someone is going to charge me return shipping in order to exchange something they sold me that was defective, I will just get my money back. I’ll pay the return shipping, but then give my money to another dealer who is more responsible towards their customers.

It’s bad enough that I am inconvenienced by the time it takes to send it back and get another one; the least they (the dealer) can do is absorb the shipping costs. And spending time diagnosing and fiddling around with something that is supposed to work, but doesn’t that is clearly a manufacturer’s defect is wasting my time. They are not paying me for this and is why they have RMA privileges with the manufacturer (or supplier).

If someone rips me off, they’ll only do it once. I won’t give them a second chance. There’s simply too much competition to put up with dealers or businesses who don’t take care of their customers as they should.

I shall now step down from my soapbox.

@tapeworm wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

It’s bad enough that I am inconvenienced by the time it takes to send it back and get another one; the least they (the dealer) can do is absorb the shipping costs. And spending time diagnosing and fiddling around with something that is supposed to work, but doesn’t that is clearly a manufacturer’s defect is wasting my time. They are not paying me for this and is why they have RMA privileges with the manufacturer (or supplier).

I shall now step down from my soapbox.

Very nice :stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

This is a good point and a reasonable expectation from any consumer when an item is received defective.

I had purchased goods from an internet company and recently returned what I bought due to damage during shipping (it’s the same as defective to me) and the company authorized a RMA with no hassles and sent a replacement shipment out right away via UPS.  When the replacement package was delivered, UPS had the return label and just needed to pick up the box with the damaged items.  Now that’s excellent customer service.

My only point was:  if you have to pay to return/exchange the item, why not try an easy fix yourself first, and possibly save the money.  As opposed to, if the store is in the neighborhood.  Personally, I’d rather keep the postage if the fix will work (and I’m sure of that), than give it to the USPS. 

Ok… now i’m majorly annoyed… i loaded up the new player with my music, charged it up, and the power ran out (grrrrr). when i got home, and plugged it in, the darn thing didn’t start charging. is it me or is it the player?

Sounds like the player–you may want to exchange it/contact SanDisk for an exchange.

Having said that, I’d leave it charging overnight (or for a couple of days, then start it up and fully charge it at that point) and see what happens in the a.m.