Nearly free substitute Clip clip, after rebate

As many here know, the clip on the various Clips sometimes can break (especially on the earlier Clip models). Also, some people just don’t like the clips. And then, especially if replacement clips are not available for the original Clip or Clip+ (or if one doesn’t like the clip), what is one to do?

Perhaps to the rescue, I just came across, at Fry’s Electronics in the U.S., SnowLizard’s Tec Tabs. Available 4 to a box, in black, orange, blue or pink, the tabs are small, low-profile plastic “buttons” of sorts to which is affixed a movable metal loop. The idea is, you affix the tab to an electronic device (the tab attaches using an auto-grade glue), and then you can attach the device to whatever your want via the metal loop–for example, you could attach a carabiner to the loop and then attach that to your pants loop. Although intended for permanent affixing, I also have read that the tabs can be removed. Each box of Tec Tabs includes some plastic carabiners of sorts, as well as a lanyard.

A pretty cool and useful idea, it seems to me. And given the smallness and lightness of the Clips, ideal for the Clips.

Now, the icing on the cake: Tec Tabs seem to retail for US $10-15 (again, that’s for 4 tabs, some plastic carabiners (of dubious use, as they’re plastic?), and a lanyard). But now, through the end of the month, Fry’s Electronics has them on sale for $10,  with a $10 rebate. And so, in the end, you get the tabs for the price of sales tax, if applicable, as well as a stamp to mail in the rebate form. Ah, you say, but there’s no Fry’s store near me. Well, it now looks like Fry’s has these on special shipping (this wasn’t the case originally), for $1.99. And so, in the end, you pay the tax (if applicable–for people outside of the few states having Fry’s stores, it won’t be), $1.99 shipping, plus a stamp for the rebate. Quite a nice deal! 

The applicable link: 

http://www.frys.com/search?search_ty…23&submit.y=16

From what I can tell from the rebate form and store info., there is a limit of 2 Tec Tabs packages under the rebate offer. I picked 2 up. But it in fact may be, based on the rebate form, that the limit is 2 of each “item,” each color constituting a different item (that seems to be the case, based on the rebate form). And so, in fact, you might be able to qualify for 2 _ of each _ of the 4 colors, with a full rebate on the purchase price.

At any rate, something to consider and maybe even purchase, for use with the Clips or just to have around, for the Clips or other products. Free, and useful, is good–

And, some product pics and other info.  A pic is worth a bunch of words . . . .

Manf. website info.: http://www.snowlizardproducts.com/tektabs.html

Youtube product demo.:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTqj5m08bA

Just to update, that this deal still is on, now good through July 30.  And frys.com currently offers these with free shipping, getting you the TecTabs, after rebate, for the price of the sales tax alone (if sales tax even applies to you).  A no-brainer opportunity, it seems to me . . . .   :slight_smile:

By the way, TekTabs seems to be good/responsive about the processing of rebates, as I heard back from them shortly after I had mailed in my rebate material.

Miikerman, thanks for heads up. I just ordered one. No Frys b&m in Maryland, so no sales tax.

Cool.  And score–totally free for you!   (Well, there’s the price of a stamp to mail the rebate in.)   :slight_smile:

And a further update, that this deal still is on, with the full product price rebate, for purchases currently through August 31! (Although, currently, there is a $1.99 shipping charge, for Internet mail orders.)  :slight_smile:

Cute, but not sure how it repaces my broken Clip+ clip. I’d need to loop a necklace through it and have it hanging, is that the idea?

Yep–no clip here, but rather a “hanger” for a carabiner, lanyard, etc  Someone with a broken clip reported gluing an ACCO fastener to the back of his Clip, to get clip functionality back–looks and sounds nice.  (Discussed, with a pic, here and at the anythingbutipod.com forum.)

Miikerman, have you received your $10 rebate yet? It’s been over 8 weeks and I haven’t. Just curious, thanks. 

Nothing yet, unfortunately, and am feeling frustrated.  Emailed the company a few weeks ago and was told, nicely enough, “we’re working on it.”  But still nothing yet.  Am watching it carefully, although, what can one do?   :frowning:

Nothing yet, unfortunately, and am feeling frustrated.  Emailed the company a few weeks ago and was told, nicely enough, “we’re working on it.”  But still nothing yet.  Am watching it carefully, although, what can one do?      And, sorry that I recommended this deal to others . . . . my apologies.

No, no, apologies are not required. It’s a good product and they did say wait between 8 to 10 weeks for the rebate. I’m still within that window for another week.  I’m sure they’ll come through. (smile).

still no word on my rebate though a past correspondence with the rebate support stated that my rebate card was sent out. though there is no indication of this on the status page. i’m filing a BBB complaint which has worked for me in the past when the rebate center handling Antec rebates went belly up.

Waiting as well–have been told, “We’re working on it . . . .”  

This is an email response I received 11/14/12: 

"It’s not resolved yet. We are working on getting payment details finished.
As a startup company we are waiting on payment from retailers so we can pay
the rebate company. Sorry for the delays.

We have a two week schedule we are working to."

Steve Calle
Snow Lizard Products

Thanks for the update–you’ve received more info. than me (I just get told, we’re a startup and we’re working on it; and no timetable is provided).  If there really is a connection to the retailers, who actually do have money,. things may be do-able.  But really, 4 months?  

Here’s the email I received on 9/24/2012 when I asked about the status. Lies.

“4MyRebateSnowlizard” <snowlizard at help.4myrebate.com

Thanks for your email.

Yes it was sent out. If you have not received your AMEX reward card, please contact 1-800-297-7327 to request a re-issue. Please have your card?s confirmation number located on your rebate status page.

You’ve done better than me.  I was approved 4-1/2 months ago and still waiting to receive, as SnowLizards gets its $ act together.   :frowning:

On checking yet again, was just told this past week that the rebate process had been lined up and that rebates would start rolling out within 2 weeks.  So, I guess, mid-December, 3 months or so late?  (Hmmm, you would think that the process would have been set up prior to offering the rebates, and the funding sources then arranged . . . .)  

@miikerman wrote:

On checking yet again, was just told this past week that the rebate process had been lined up and that rebates would start rolling out within 2 weeks.  So, I guess, mid-December, 3 months or so late?  (Hmmm, you would think that the process would have been set up prior to offering the rebates, and the funding sources then arranged . . . .)  

The main reason I do not get excited about nor trust rebate offers. Except the “instant” or POS (Point Of Sale) kind. :wink: