SanDisk Guru

Re: My Sansa clip+ won't turn on what so ever

You tried holding down the center button while connecting it to a pc?

I've tried doing that with Linux and OS X.  Havne't tried Windows 7 yet.   Will have the opportunity later today...

SanDisk Guru

Also when connecting it to a pc, use a rear usb port and connect directly. Some front ports put out too little power. Don't use a hub or usb extension cable. If using a notebook, make sure the notebook is conneccted to power before connecting the player. Some notebooks cut power to the usb ports when running on battery power, and there isn't enough power coming from the slot to get the player to connect.

[ Edited ]

OK.  I've plugged it into my WIndows 7 box and it mounts as K:.  However, it tells me it needs to be formatted, but then fails the formatting when requested.  ("Windows was unable to complete the format.") 

I've tried chkdsk from the command line, but that fails, too.  ("The type of the file system is RAW.  CHKDSk is not available for RAW drives.")

I've tried connecting via USB cable with and without holding the center button.  Same result in either case.

Under "Properties" it tells me it's a "M200Plus"--for whatever that's worth.

Tried formatting with gparted in Linux--but FAT32 not available.   

Tried to format in Windows 8.1, but same fails as under Windows 7.    It gets about 2/3rds of the way thru the format and fails...  CHKDSK failed with the same RAW message...

SanDisk Guru

Seeing M200Plus is an ominous sign. It might mean the player is toast. You should ask Saratoga about that. I think there might be a way to reset the player, however it might have to be opened. Ask Saratoga first before opening it.

Well, cool.  I think. 

Being new around here, is "Saratoga" a person, or a thing, or a God...?  ;-)

SanDisk Guru

Saratoga is member of this forum. He is also a Rockbox developer, so he has quite a bit of knowledge about the hardware used in Sandisk players.

I'm a big Rockbox fan--have it loaded on my Clip+.  Will he see this thread, or do I need to go find him...?

SanDisk Guru

wilberfan wrote:

Well, cool.  I think. 

Being new around here, is "Saratoga" a person, or a thing, or a God...?  ;-)

Depends on your point of view. Smiley Tongue