My Sansa clip+ won't turn on what so ever

The power/reset button is a wonderful thing.   :slight_smile:

I have a sansa clip+. I have owned it less than a week.

It is recognized by the computer, I can add and remove songs. 

The screen never lights up, even when attached to the computer. I charged it all day yesterday on my desktop, but forgot to turn it off before I went to bed. So, charging it again today. Should I move to an A/C charger? I have one of those.

I have updated the firmware, and everything. Why is it not actually lighting up and powering on?

Call 1-866-SANDISK and get it replaced.

Have you removed the protective strip from the screen?

It’s got to be turning on if it is recognized and seen by your computer. Your computer won’t ‘see’ it if it’s not powered on.

So, it sounds like JaZZ’s suggestion is valid. Make sure you have peeled off the screen protector film. It has an screen-shot image on it making it ‘appear’ to be on when it isn’t. But it covers up the real screen, so you can press buttons till you’re blue In the face and that image won’t change and you can’t see under it.

Just wanted to say thanks for this. My refurb zip stopped turning on, and wouldnt even connect to PC just outside the Amazon 30 day returns. I held the power button 30 secs, and that fixed it. Thanks!!!

It Didnt Work so im trying plan “b” if it dont work ima pull out its chip and use that for a mp3 creation >:D

Well this works until it happens again. Id say about once every couple days it becomes totally unresponsive. I have to do the reset again and it works for awhile, etc. etc.

What you might try doing is, reapply the latest firmware–there could be a firmware glitch, which can develop over time.  See the firmware thread at the top of this forum–very easy and safe to do.

As the Designated Geek, a friend handed me her Clip+ yesterday (she knows I have one, too), and said “Fix it, please?”

It wont’ boot. 

I’ve tried several different combinations of holding down the power button, plugging it in to a linux machine, an OS X machine, etc.   I’ve only ever gotten it to display the ‘flower’ startup logo (that’s what I call it), but it won’t go any farther than that.

The OS X machine says it’s a “4.2MB UNDEF Storage Media”.

The device has got to be several years old; she doesn’t have much hope for it.   Still, I’d be a big o’l hero if I could get it working again…!  

[edit]  Any chance reformatting it would do me any good?  The OS X Disk Utility shows it as format-able…

Well, reformatting hasn’t changed anything.  Still won’t mount as a writable device, and I only ever get a “Sandisk” and ‘flower’ occasionally–but it never goes any further.   Not sure what else to try. 

@wilberfan wrote:

As the Designated Geek, a friend handed me her Clip+ yesterday (she knows I have one, too), and said “Fix it, please?”

It wont’ boot. 

I’ve tried several different combinations of holding down the power button, plugging it in to a linux machine, an OS X machine, etc.   I’ve only ever gotten it to display the ‘flower’ startup logo (that’s what I call it), but it won’t go any farther than that.

The OS X machine says it’s a “4.2MB UNDEF Storage Media”.

The device has got to be several years old; she doesn’t have much hope for it.   Still, I’d be a big o’l hero if I could get it working again…!  

[edit]  Any chance reformatting it would do me any good?  The OS X Disk Utility shows it as format-able…

You tried holding down the center button while connecting it to a pc?

I’ve tried doing that with Linux and OS X.  Havne’t tried Windows 7 yet.   Will have the opportunity later today…

Also when connecting it to a pc, use a rear usb port and connect directly. Some front ports put out too little power. Don’t use a hub or usb extension cable. If using a notebook, make sure the notebook is conneccted to power before connecting the player. Some notebooks cut power to the usb ports when running on battery power, and there isn’t enough power coming from the slot to get the player to connect.

OK.  I’ve plugged it into my WIndows 7 box and it mounts as K:.  However, it tells me it needs to be formatted, but then fails the formatting when requested.  (“Windows was unable to complete the format.”) 

I’ve tried chkdsk from the command line, but that fails, too.  (“The type of the file system is RAW.  CHKDSk is not available for RAW drives.”)

I’ve tried connecting via USB cable with and without holding the center button.  Same result in either case.

Under “Properties” it tells me it’s a “M200Plus”–for whatever that’s worth.

Tried formatting with gparted in Linux–but FAT32 not available.   

Tried to format in Windows 8.1, but same fails as under Windows 7.    It gets about 2/3rds of the way thru the format and fails…  CHKDSK failed with the same RAW message…

Seeing M200Plus is an ominous sign. It might mean the player is toast. You should ask Saratoga about that. I think there might be a way to reset the player, however it might have to be opened. Ask Saratoga first before opening it.

Well, cool.  I think. 

Being new around here, is “Saratoga” a person, or a thing, or a God…?  :wink:

Saratoga is member of this forum. He is also a Rockbox developer, so he has quite a bit of knowledge about the hardware used in Sandisk players.

I’m a big Rockbox fan–have it loaded on my Clip+.  Will he see this thread, or do I need to go find him…?