Music stops when locking buttons

I have this weird problem with my Sansa Clip: it freezes when I lock the buttons.

When it plays music I press and hold the home button to make it lock the buttons.

I get the message “press and hold the home button to unlock”

the screen goes black so that is still alright

but after about 10 seconds the music stops and the player stats to shut itself down and also freezes halfway of shutting down.

does anyone have any ideas about a fix?

Perhaps there is a software glitch, and a manual reapplication of the latest firmware would help?  See the firmware sticky thread at the top of this forum.

1 Like

Maybe try a hard reset first. Hopefully, that will just do the trick.

Sounds like you’re pressing the button too long and shutting down the player, instead of simply locking it.

Hello.

I have the same problem with my new Clip+ (no problem with a previous one).

Sometime, it reboots. sometime not. This time, he seems to be dead. No sign of life when i plug it.

If it wake up, i will try a new manual update (done recently after purchase).

@chemicalfab wrote:

Hello.

Sometime, it reboots. sometime not. This time, he seems to be dead. No sign of life when i plug it.

You should not have problems like this with a brand new unit. You paid for a unit that works. Yours doesn’t. You did not get what you paid for. Return it.

@chemicalfab wrote:

Hello.

Software glitches indeed happen (and I seem to get more than my fair share of them)–good luck with reapplying the firmware.

This appears to be a firmware issue. I had the same issue and found the answer on a forum somewhere.

Go to Settings-system settings- Backlight. If the backlight setting is at 10 seconds this causes the lock button issue. Just select the next time level (15 seconds) or better and remember to save the setting when asked.

This resolved the issue for me. I hope it does for you. 

Interesting–don’t recall having heard this before.

You are the man!

That works, altough I don’t know how anyone found out

Hi,

I too, had this issue.

I had decreased the Backlight to 10 seconds and holding the lock button caused the unit to reset.  

So I requested an exchange (through Amazon).  

The new unit did the same thing, but only after I had made that timeout change.

Changing the Backlight back to 15 seconds does not cause the reset.

I am going to cancel my return and keep both 'cause I like this little player so much.

Firmware is V01.02.18A

I have just upgraded to a Clip+ and am very glad to have found this thread, as I thought that I had faulty item.

Hard to believe that this issue has not been fixed yet, given the date of the original posting.

Thanks for the thread and the fix!!!