Music copy issue

I have a strange problem.  I have 2 albums that will not work on the Clip+.  I have ripped them using MS Media Player, and they play fine on the computer.  I copied them to the Clip+ using Windows Explorer, and when I tried to play them, the Clip+ just skipped from 1 song to the next without playing them.  I re-did the copy with the same results.  Next I  tried Sync’ing them with Media Player and again I got the same results.  I had this problem with 1 album previously and found that I had ripped it with the “copy protection” turned on, so I turned it off, and that fixed the problem with that album.  I checked and the “copy protection” is not turned on.

Anyone have any idea why I am seeing this, and how to resolve it?

Thanks,

Eric

@ericbr wrote:

I have a strange problem.  I have 2 albums that will not work on the Clip+.  I have ripped them using MS Media Player, and they play fine on the computer.  I copied them to the Clip+ using Windows Explorer, and when I tried to play them, the Clip+ just skipped from 1 song to the next without playing them.  I re-did the copy with the same results.  Next I  tried Sync’ing them with Media Player and again I got the same results.  I had this problem with 1 album previously and found that I had ripped it with the “copy protection” turned on, so I turned it off, and that fixed the problem with that album.  I checked and the “copy protection” is not turned on.

Anyone have any idea why I am seeing this, and how to resolve it?

Thanks,

Eric

What format are they?

WMA Lossless - the same as most of my other recordings.

Eric

@ericbr wrote:

WMA Lossless - the same as most of my other recordings.

Eric

WMA Lossless is not a supported format. That’s why they won’t play.

FLAC is the way to fly if you want huge reference files.  Tapeworm is right, WMA Lossless is not supported, just regular WMA (compressed).

If you are interested in playing lossless files, I’d recommend FLAC, it’s free, and works very well.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

No, large files is not what I want. 

Somehow, my settings must have changed. 

I am in the process of re-ripping everything I have to FLAC using MediaMonkey, but that process is not complete yet, so I was just using Media Player to quickly get the albums on my player so my wife would have some music that she liked for a trip we were taking.

Thanks,

Eric

I see!  FLAC is best used as a reference format, as it’s bit-for-bit identical to that original PCM file on the CD.

If you are using Windows Media Audio for your Clip (much smaller of course), as I do, choose a bit rate in the middle of the spectrum.  I personally like 160 kb/s , as it sounds very close to MP3 at 192.  WMA allows a wee bit more compression than basic WMA for similar resolution.

The bit rate can be chosen after choosing basic wma as your compression choice.  FLAC (or any true lossless format) is a huge file, as it’s uncompressed.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

From reading here, my  intention is to rip to everything to FLAC and then use the conversion feature in MediaMonkey to convert the music to a smaller format for the Clip+.

Thanks,

Eric

That will work just fine.  Remember, by ripping the CDs to FLAC, you are saving a reference copy of the CD to your hard drive.  As long as you have the space for it, a digital backup of the CDs is a great thing.

With Media Monkey, the MP3 ripping codec is the LAME encoder, a good engine.  The free version lasts for 30 days, then there’s a fee for the full version (though the LAME encoder is also available online separately).  The full version of Media Monkey also has some other features, if I recall correctly, which is why most folks opt for the small fee.

You can rip to windows media audio simply by using Windows Media Player if desired, by doing a direct-from-CD rip, and selecting wma at the desired bit rate.  Windows Media Player will pull the track data and album art automatically as long as you have an internet connection live during the rip (or you can add this information later if you’re not online).

I have a plugin installed in WiMP that allows playback of FLAC files; ripping from FLAC to a compressed format can be done using Media Monkey, I believe (just rechecked, I haven’t installed MM on this PC, but it will do so).  You can encode in many formats, including ogg and wma as well.  My daughter was on the “experiments” terminal, and likes the monkey logos.

The Gold version of MM is pretty cool indeed.  As a media manager, the program is replete with plenty of cool buttons, more intuitive than Windows Media Player once you get used to it.

@neutron_bob wrote:

That will work just fine.  Remember, by ripping the CDs to FLAC, you are saving a reference copy of the CD to your hard drive.  As long as you have the space for it, a digital backup of the CDs is a great thing.

With Media Monkey, the MP3 ripping codec is the LAME encoder, a good engine.  The free version lasts for 30 days, then there’s a fee for the full version (though the LAME encoder is also available online separately).  The full version of Media Monkey also has some other features, if I recall correctly, which is why most folks opt for the small fee.

You can rip to windows media audio simply by using Windows Media Player if desired, by doing a direct-from-CD rip, and selecting wma at the desired bit rate.  Windows Media Player will pull the track data and album art automatically as long as you have an internet connection live during the rip (or you can add this information later if you’re not online).

I have a plugin installed in WiMP that allows playback of FLAC files; ripping from FLAC to a compressed format can be done using Media Monkey, I believe (just rechecked, I haven’t installed MM on this PC, but it will do so).  You can encode in many formats, including ogg and wma as well.  My daughter was on the “experiments” terminal, and likes the monkey logos.

The Gold version of MM is pretty cool indeed.  As a media manager, the program is replete with plenty of cool buttons, more intuitive than Windows Media Player once you get used to it.

The Gold version of MM is great, but most people can get by with the free one and replacing that time-limited LAME encoder. I did that for a long time before finally upgrading to the Gold.

I don’t use WMP12 for anything but watching my videos and DVD’s…Mediamonkey blows WMP away for use with DAP’s, IMNSHO.:stuck_out_tongue:

I tried Media Monkey after sansafix convinced me that it was the coolest thing since the invention of the dry roasted peanut, and even did the DLL patch to see how that goes.

I prefer to support someone who produces a genuinely decent product, so I opt to “go for the Gold” as well, they’ve earned it.  I have a large collection of encoders here for requisite Sansa tweakage (that’s Swedish for “Bob tries everything to break them”), and thus, haven’t used MM in a while, but that’s only because I gravitate to applications folks are having problems with.  That speaks well for MM, doesn’t it?

It even supports Replay Gain beautifully, a great addition.

And the Monkey is cute.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: