Mp3 files work WMA do not

I installed some MP3 files which work fine.  I then recorded some WMA files onto my 4 g Clip and only the MP3 files work.  The WMA files and the subfile title do not show up on the audiobook. 

I also recorded a WMA music file in my songs file.  The title of the song shows up but it does not play.  It only shows the title and the graphic line which does not move. 

Is there a problem? 

Well, first of all You should know that SANSA CLIP supports WMA format files only with 32-160 Kb\s bitrate.

Also file must be encoded NOT IN WMA LOSSLESS format !

Good Luck !

Incorrect ,  WMA is supported to 256k.

I’ve even got some .wma files at 293 and 320 kbps and they play fine. :stuck_out_tongue:

I checked and the file size should not be a problem.  Not sure what the problem is.

Do you have any problems with WAV files?

@m4808 wrote:

I installed some MP3 files which work fine.  I then recorded some WMA files onto my 4 g Clip and only the MP3 files work.  The WMA files and the subfile title do not show up on the audiobook. 

I also recorded a WMA music file in my songs file.  The title of the song shows up but it does not play.  It only shows the title and the graphic line which does not move. 

Is there a problem? 

That’s strange…MP3, MP3 VBR, WMA, WMA VBR, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC…all these play on both my Clip and Fuze. I have not tried WAV though :smiley: So something’s not right. How recent is your firmware version?

I just got the clip last week at Best Buy and I updated my WMP to version 11. 

Maybe the files are not really WMA. If the file extension is set incorrectly, the Clip will show the file name but it won’t play it. Did you create these files yourself?

No, the files were already created. 

I updated the firmware and still have the same issue.

Tried a  WAC file last night and it shows up on the computer but not on the Clip.  But, I tried downloading another MP3 and it worked so the unit works but only on MP3

mediainfo.sourceforge.net

U should download this software.

Than install it, start the program and “drug n drop” media file into the program window

Since you didn’t create the files yourself, the possibility of a type/extension mismatch is even greater. The reason it shows up on the computer is that most media player programs check the file contents to figure out its actual type. The Clip (like most mp3 players) only relies on the extension.

Try using the program mentioned above by feromon; it’ll tell you exactly what kind of files you have. If that gives you any trouble, just upload one of the files somewhere for us to have a look.

Thanks, I will try it.

I converted the files to Mp3 and now that seems to work.  But, so far, other WMA and WAC files do not.  I have confirmed that they are WMA files.

Any chance these WMA files are DRM-protected files?  The first time you try to rip a CD in Windows Media Player it is set to “copy protect music” in WMA format.  I’d suggest unchecking this option in Tools –> Options –> Rip Music tab –> in the Rip settings box.

Did you download or rip these problem WMA tracks?  If you downloaded them are the copy protected?  If they are copy protected you might get them to work on the Clip by doing a Sync with Windows Media Player or WinAmp or MediaMonkey or …

Good luck.

Thanks.  I will try that

If it doesn’t work then make sure you’re transferring the problem tracks in MTP mode.  MTP mode is necessary for DRM-protected WMA files to sync properly.  They need to be synced and not just drag & dropped for the licenses to properly move to the Clip.

I’ve got the same problem, my MP3s work, but my 192kbps WMA files do not.  After spending some time trying to figure this out I determined that setting the maximum quality level (in Options -> Devices -> Properties) to 160kbps allowed the WMA to play on the Sansa Clip.  Even though all the documentation I’ve read says 192kbps is supported, it seems, only up to 160kbps is supported.

Device:     Sansa Clip 1Gb

Firmware:  1.01.30

S/N:         BB0801AKOK   ??? (I assume this is the serial number)

I don’t know how old the hardware is because I bought this one as a refurb.

@hotcookcpl wrote:

I’ve got the same problem, my MP3s work, but my 192kbps WMA files do not.  After spending some time trying to figure this out I determined that setting the maximum quality level (in Options -> Devices -> Properties) to 160kbps allowed the WMA to play on the Sansa Clip.  Even though all the documentation I’ve read says 192kbps is supported, it seems, only up to 160kbps is supported.

Device:     Sansa Clip 1Gb

Firmware:  1.01.30

S/N:         BB0801AKOK   ??? (I assume this is the serial number)

I don’t know how old the hardware is because I bought this one as a refurb.

I have one CD ripped with WMA VBR  where the lowest bitrate for any song is 193kbps, and the highest is 207, and it plays fine. That’s the same firmware as me too , only my Clip is a 2gb…I wonder why it wouldn’t work for you?

I’m not sure why the 192kbps WMAs won’t work, but they don’t.  I’m fine loading at 160kbps, it’s just that now I have to remember to change the bit rate before I sync.  Thanks.

Anyone have any more hints or ideas on this?  Thanks.