MINI USB FOR CLIP+

Hi , i am a new user , could you tell me if any  mini usb must work with clip+? or just with usb provided with the player?

Thanks

Any standard mini USB cord will work.

Note that every now-and-again, you may run across a power-only USB cable, which won’t transmit data.  Can be frustrating, indeed.

I have a Garmin GPS, it has a car 12v cable that plugs into the USB port.

Both the Garmin and the Sansa Clip use USB to connect to the computer for data tranfer and charging. The Clip cable is standard USB, apparently, just unusually short.

The Garmin 12v cable has something inside the plug end (I am reluctant to rip it open just to find out if there is a circuit or only a fuse in there. 

Would there be any risk to using the Garmin car cable to recharge the Clip? I am not willing to simply plug my Clip into the Garmin car cable and see how it goes, without having some assurance that there is no chance of blowing up the Clip in the process. IF I cannot do this, then, travelling with the Clip is a bit of a problem, as I have to take my netbook and remember to recharge the Clip every night.

I beleve the Sansa Clip+ needs a 5 volt power source, that is what a standard computer USB port delivers.  The Garmin GPS charges from either a computer or AC adapter 5 volt source or car cigarette lighter 12 volt source. I would definitely not use a 12 volt GPS charger on the Sansa Clip+.

However, if you are talking about using just the cable from your Garmin GPS, and not the 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter, there is a good chance it will work and should not harm your Clip+.

It depends on the Garmin GPS 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter.  If the adapter input is 12 volts and the output is just 5 volts I would expect it to work fine for charging the Sansa Clip+.

I don’t have a Garmin GPS but on my TomTom the cigarette lighter adapter does have 5 volts output and seems to charge the Clip+.  The output is 1.2 amps though compared to the 500 mA output AC adapter I usually use.

Will the Clip+ charge faster with the 1.2 A source compared to the 500 mA source?

Will using the 1.2 A source damage the battery in any way, eg. shorten it’s life?

I have a sansa clip, at least 3 years old, and can’t find the recharging cable. I tried using the mini-cables I do have, but they were too big. Anyone know the dimensions/size of the cable I need? Thanks!

@gabbybob wrote:

I have a sansa clip, at least 3 years old, and can’t find the recharging cable. I tried using the mini-cables I do have, but they were too big. Anyone know the dimensions/size of the cable I need? Thanks!

You can get the original replacement here:

http://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdiskus/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/CategoryID.11449200/productID.243729400

But really, any standard USB cable with a mini-USB (5-pin type B) tip on one end should work with the Clip and Clip+ (the Clip Zip needs a micro USB tip).

And make sure the cables you are trying/using/buying are of the Mini-Type A B variety, not B A (see digram below).

Thanks to everyone who responded! Maybe I can use the MP3 player, again!

@tapeworm wrote:

And make sure the cables you are trying/using/buying are of the Mini-Type A variety, not B (see digram below).

Tapeworm, it’s a mini-B 5-pin plug for the Clip/Clip+, isn’t it (and not a mini-A)?  (I think you might have grabbed pics for the receptacle and not the plug?)  Or am I mis-recalling/misunderstanding?

@miikerman wrote:

Tapeworm, it’s a mini-B 5-pin plug for the Clip/Clip+, isn’t it (and not a mini-A)?  (I think you might have grabbed pics for the receptacle and not the plug?)  Or am I mis-recalling/misunderstanding?

I think you’re right. I was going to say the same thing.

@miikerman wrote:

Upon closer examination (and with a magnifying glass). it appears as is you are probably right; it is a Mini-B type plug/receptacle. Guess you’ve got younger eyes than I have. Thanks. :wink:

Not younger eyes, but greater initial confusion when I first got my first Clip (mini’s, not mini’s, Type A, Type B . . .), so that this just stuck out of all the confusion . . . . :slight_smile: