Load Music to my SanDisk

How do I get music from my favorite store-bought CD to my SanDisk clip. I put the CD in my computer and dragged the files from the CD to the “MUSIC” folder on my SanDisk. I know the files are on the SanDisk somewhere because it shows that some of the memory is has been used up, but when I try to play music on my SanDisk it tells me there are no files loaded. HELP

you have to rip your CD onto your PC first then drag n drop or us a media palyer to sync the music you just ripped to your Clip.

Most Media player programs (Winamp, Windows Media Player, etc.) can do this.  As the previous poster said, you have to rip the CD, which means extracting the uncompressed audio from the CD and converting it to MP3s (or whatever other format you want).  If I recall WMP has a “Rip” item in the top menu.  Just stick you CD in click on Rip.  Check out the Help in WMP for details on ripping.

After you finish ripping, the new MP3 files will be on your hard drive.  Now you can just plug in the Clip and drag the files to the MUSIC folder.

My husband and I bought the Sansa clip on Friday.  At first I just did the drag-and-drop until I realized the files were in cda format. I did a little reading and then we did “rip” the music from our CD to an mp3 format using WMP11.  I then used the drag-and-drop method, the music now shows up on the Sansa clip menu but will not play.

All we wanted to do was put our existing CDs on an mp3 player for our road trips, but I am getting very frustrated with the little unit and the vagueness of the manual.

I’m sure it’s something very “simple” but it’s all very new to us.

Any help would be greatly appreciated otherwise it’s going back to store.

Thanks. 

Hi,   I think I had a simular problem.  Try going into the “Settings” menu  and then to “USB”   Under USB you have 3 choices,  Auto Detect/MTP/MSC.   Try Auto Detect first and if that doesn’t work try the others.

Good Luck,

GenerationM:

Perhaps going to the Rip Format to MP3 would help. To get to the settings click on the Rip tab, In the Rip view, click on Rip a second time to open the menu. Select Format. Select MP3.

Rip and Sync another CD to test.

If the music still will not play, please tell us what happens when you try to play it on the Sansa Clip.

The ideal way to do it: jiGGafellz’ Step-by-Step Guide to Secure CD Ripping w/Exact Audio Copy

Message Edited by Lucky_Luciano on 05-29-2008 03:42 PM

Message Edited by Lucky_Luciano on 05-29-2008 07:47 PM

@lucky_luciano wrote:
The ideal way to do it: jiGGafellz’ Step-by-Step Guide to Secure CD Ripping w/Exact Audio Copy

The link above needs an “L” at the end (i.e. index.html rather than index.htm).  I’ve used Exact Audio Copy (EAC) before because of the high quality rips from CD to MP3 (using the Lame MP3 encoder) but it might be overkill for people who don’t care about such high quality audio and just want their music on their Clip as quickly as possible.  If someone has a lot of CDs to rip to MP3 (or other format) then EAC (a secure CD ripper) takes A LOT LONGER for each CD compared to RealPlayer, Windows Media Player or other non-secure CD ripper programs.  Granted, sometimes these non-secure rippers will mess up and give you an MP3 which sounds terrible.  But I’ve also had EAC fail to extract an occasional song which I’ve then needed to rip using another program and it came out fine.

I do like the tutorial linked above though as I had to spend a lot of time figuring out all the details of EAC many years ago.  Thanks, I’ve still got a bunch of CDs to rip when I have time.  I used to use the --r3mix option with Lame (within EAC).  Is that still considered pretty good or are there better options at about the same compression?

I’m working on an Apple and the CDs have been ripped over to my iTunes.  On an earlier post, it said to check the Settings for the USB option.  On Apple, I have no idea where that is.  Can anyone help me?  The music is in my Music folder of my clip, just not ON my clip.  Thanks.

iTunes could be the problem - did you tell it to rip to .mp3 or did it create the default iPod format (.aac)? The Clip doesn’t support that format.

The USB setting is on the Clip (Settings|USB Mode). If you have old firmware, you may not have the Settings option and will have to force it into MSC mode by holding the center button down while connecting the USB cable between computer and Clip. 

@steveg wrote:

@lucky_luciano wrote:

The link above needs an “L” at the end (i.e. index.html rather than index.htm).  I’ve used Exact Audio Copy (EAC) before because of the high quality rips from CD to MP3 (using the Lame MP3 encoder) but it might be overkill for people who don’t care about such high quality audio and just want their music on their Clip as quickly as possible.  If someone has a lot of CDs to rip to MP3 (or other format) then EAC (a secure CD ripper) takes A LOT LONGER for each CD compared to RealPlayer, Windows Media Player or other non-secure CD ripper programs.  Granted, sometimes these non-secure rippers will mess up and give you an MP3 which sounds terrible.  But I’ve also had EAC fail to extract an occasional song which I’ve then needed to rip using another program and it came out fine.

I do like the tutorial linked above though as I had to spend a lot of time figuring out all the details of EAC many years ago.  Thanks, I’ve still got a bunch of CDs to rip when I have time.  I used to use the --r3mix option with Lame (within EAC).  Is that still considered pretty good or are there better options at about the same compression?

Much agreed.  I always get a kick how EAC gets this reputation of being the “holy grail” of rippers.  It’s OK, nothing special.  Sometimes it creates more problems than it solves.  No one program works perfect in every instance.  I do use EAC on occasion, but I think it’s reputation is often very inflated.

I’ve heard good things about EAC,but never used it. Subtle variations in music quality are wasted on my poor old ears at this point. I do fail to see why a particular ripping software should be better or worse than another if Lame settings are the same.

But that wasn’t the point of my post. Too frequently I’m seeing posts that fail to to tell us just what the op is using, particularly the computer type and os. Then there are a bunch of responses that ignore this lack of info. Sansa have failed to adequately cover all the available options in using the unit, such as where to drag and drop, and file formats expected etc.

@dave61430 wrote:

I’ve heard good things about EAC,but never used it. Subtle variations in music quality are wasted on my poor old ears at this point. I do fail to see why a particular ripping software should be better or worse than another if Lame settings are the same.

But that wasn’t the point of my post. Too frequently I’m seeing posts that fail to to tell us just what the op is using, particularly the computer type and os. Then there are a bunch of responses that ignore this lack of info. Sansa have failed to adequately cover all the available options in using the unit, such as where to drag and drop, and file formats expected etc.

I still say that 99% of the problems with sandisk media players would go away if they would develop their own, easy to use software that would make it simple, for even novices to get up and running quickly…

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@dave61430 wrote:

I still say that 99% of the problems with sandisk media players would go away if they would develop their own, easy to use software that would make it simple, for even novices to get up and running quickly…

That would steal more market share from Apple than gapless playback ever would, I bet :dizzy_face:  (yes, I did just say that) 

A manual that fully explains also would assist …