It's 2010 and Sansa Clip + can't do gapless!

Astonishing! How very sad. Makes me have to return it for a crapple nano!

@rickinhouston wrote:
Astonishing! How very sad. Makes me have to return it for a crapple nano!

There are still a lot of players on the market that can’t do gapless. And you go right ahead and get a Nano…but you should read this first.:stuck_out_tongue:

http://forums.ilounge.com/ipod-nano/263979-6g-broken-sleep-button.html

Asides from those reports, several people at Head-Fi.org have had it happen to them too…so enjoy!

There are plenty of new 5G Nanos out there, so if the sleep button issue is a major concern…get a 5G and enjoy!

Have a couple of 'em (5G’s) and they are among my favorite players.

Perhaps I have just one oar in the water here. I assume by gapless, you mean the Clip+ does not seamlessly move from one track to another, without a brief gap in continuity. I recall that was an issue way back when, with burning CDs. I am guessing the OP has “live” recordings, and wants them to stay that way.

iTunes may have a work around feature for this. When importing a CD, you can select all of the tracks, then use the “Join CD Tracks” feature in the Advanced tab. You end up with just one big track. I am not familiar with an easy way to combine tracks in any other fashion.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

There are plenty of new 5G Nanos out there, so if the sleep button issue is a major concern…get a 5G and enjoy!

Have a couple of 'em (5G’s) and they are among my favorite players.

And I think they are a better player than the newer 6G, which lost some features while maintaining the same price structure.

Can’t do gapless?  I have FLAC, MP3, and WMA albums on the Clip+, and enjoy the albums just fine.  Dark Side Of The Moon, a favorite, plays well, without incident.  Granted, one can bemoan gapless capability, but I’d rather enjoy the music.

Looking back at the original release, it was on LP.  I don’t remember folks crying foul at every little background click, and that was the way the release sounded.  Today, we have a considerably quieter noise floor.

The transition between tracks is pleasant and without delays.  Have a listen, and enjoy the music!

Note:  Cleaned up blank entries in this thread.  To help others, please do not abuse the ‘solution’ function.

_ μsansa _

@microsansa wrote:

Can’t do gapless?  I have FLAC, MP3, and WMA albums on the Clip+, and enjoy the albums just fine.  Dark Side Of The Moon, a favorite, plays well, without incident.  Granted, one can bemoan gapless capability, but I’d rather enjoy the music.

Looking back at the original release, it was on LP.  I don’t remember folks crying foul at every little background click, and that was the way the release sounded.  Today, we have a considerably quieter noise floor.

The transition between tracks is pleasant and without delays.  Have a listen, and enjoy the music!

Note:  Cleaned up blank entries in this thread.  To help others, please do not abuse the ‘solution’ function.

_ μsansa _

Proof positive that everyone doesn’t want the same things with their audio.  While Sansa products do gapless good enough for my needs, I can completely understand how some people could get annoyed by the sporadic little “blips” that sometimes will occur with the original firmware.

…and speaking of the original album release of DSOTM, I guess I was one of those “weirdos” that was distressed by the click and pops that would eventually show up when playing the vinyl.  That’s why I purchased one of those electronic ‘click and pop removal’ devices when they first hit the marketplace.  It wasn’t perfect, but it was a major improvement at the time.

No matter how hard a company tries, there will never be a player that is perfect for all users.

Before the firmware modifications, I had merged the audio files into one “continuous” one, residing with the individual tracks for most listening.  For those times when I wanted to sit for a long contemplative session, the merged track was great.

Most times, the individual tracks were the listen of choice.  Note that this is with the original Clip, considerably slower than the Clip+ when it comes to file loading and playback.  When the Clip+ was released, from the first few minutes, I knew SanDisk was on the right track, as the interface was more than a little bit faster.

With the latest firmware, running with mp3, wma, and even FLAC, I’m quite happy with the results.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@microsansa wrote:

Gapless audio decoding seems to have become tremendously more mainstream over the years, with multiple decoders and a lot of hardware out there that supports it.  A large fraction if not an outright majority of mp3 files in existance are now gapless capable, and from a technical stand point its not a particularly difficult feature to implement.  You just parse the field from the tag header, and then chop that many samples off.  Is it on Sandisk’s todo list and just waiting for some overworked programmer to get around to it or is there just not enough demand for it to be worth the complication?

I still think it’s ridiculous that Sandisk has continued to fail to bring completely functional gapless to the Clip+ with their own firmware update, considering that when the Clip+ was released, they claimed that it already featured gapless. 

As ridiculous, in my opinion, are the Sansa fans that cosign Sandisk’s failure to fix gapless on the Clip+ by minimizing Sandisk’s inability to fix the problem- as sincere as they might be in feeling that gapless isn’t all that important of a feature or that they don’t notice the gapless peformance problems too much on their Clip+ with Sansa firmware.

The good news is that the Clip+ can perform gapless with the Rockbox firmware.  I installed Rockbox 3.7 on my Clip+ and gapless is flawless.

But yeah, the firmware updates for the Clip+ by Sansa have been a joke.