Is the Sansa Clip's shuffle random?

I have a sansa express and the shuffle is a predetermined pattern. It plays the same songs in the same order every time. I am thinking about getting a clip, but I do not want it of it has this same major flaw. So, has sandisk fixed this problem?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Is the Sansa Clip's shuffle random?

well, since nobody feels like answering this. I'll give a small answer. My clip usually always starts in the early 100s, and i have no idea after that since, i dont' look at the clip anymore after that. If you press the NEXT or PREV button, they change to different a song.

Thanks for the feedback!  Hearing the same playlist over and over again gets old fast.
SanDisk Fanatic

Well, here is what I experience.  If you put Shuffle feature ON, the clip will play all the songs in your device randomly until all are played and then repeat. I have about 250 songs to shuffle and I have not heard a repeat for awhile so I assume that it's not predetermined but randomly generate. 
Highlighted

Was experiencing the same thing

I got used to hitting the play all ,  and it seemed to have become a playlist until i read this post

and realized the last firmware update must have turned the shuffle off .

thanks for the post , looking forward to a better bike ride with " new " music

[ because if i wanted to hear the same old stuff , i'd listen to the radio of course ! ]

SanDisk Guru

@okgb wrote:

Was experiencing the same thing

I got used to hitting the play all ,  and it seemed to have become a playlist until i read this post

and realized the last firmware update must have turned the shuffle off .

thanks for the post , looking forward to a better bike ride with " new " music

[ because if i wanted to hear the same old stuff , i'd listen to the radio of course ! ]

Glad the posted solution worked for you.   Updating/reinstalling the firmware resets some of the settings on the player back to the default ones.

This just goes to show that no matter how long ago a solution had been posted, it can still help someone resolve an issue.

Thanks for sharing useful information.....

Im a nobody.. nobodys perfect.. therefore IM PERFECT!!!

My experience is just the opposite; on shuffle I hear the same songs come up way to often. This feature and the poor FM reception are my biggest gripes though I think this is a great player.

Hi guys, same here. The list that Samsa clip provides in shuffle mode gathers 15-20 songs from a sample of 500. Is it biased somehow? Does it work? Thanks

I'm looking for an MP3 player that has a truly random shuffle. I've had a Sony Walkman that had a random shuffle but has worn out, and a Hipstreet that always repeated the same 20-30 songs out of over 700. I'm getting rid of the Hipstreet and considering buying a Sandisk Clip Jam or Clip Sport. If I put it on random play will I get the same songs over and over or will each of my 700 songs have the same chance of playing? Based on the latest replies on this thread I don't know whether I should buy