Is the Clip discontinued??

Hi there,

Im new here and I’m from India. I am searching for a store to buy the Clip here but Im unable to find it anywhere, only option is to buy online.

I have been told that Sansa Clip has been discontinued, and that I should go for the Fuze instead. Is this true? I know people who bought the clip a month ago from stores here. 

So please can someone confirm whether its discontinued(as in no new units are manufactured anymore)?

@plasma wrote:

Hi there,

Im new here and I’m from India. I am searching for a store to buy the Clip here but Im unable to find it anywhere, only option is to buy online.

I have been told that Sansa Clip has been discontinued, and that I should go for the Fuze instead. Is this true? I know people who bought the clip a month ago from stores here. 

So please can someone confirm whether its discontinued(as in no new units are manufactured anymore)?

As far as I know it is still being manufactured.

@plasma wrote:

Hi there,

Not for a while I hope. If they do, they’d probably release the 8gb to all other stores that carry sansa products.

Well, I just reset the MP3 departments in a bunch of Best Buys, and I know we pulled the Clips off the display.  Kind of depressing, but hey, I got to pick up a silver 4GB for $20 to go along with my Fuze.  At least we kept that on display…

Anyway, we pulled alot of other players as well, so it would seem to go along with most retail stores desire to market just the iPod, and maybe a little action for the Zune, rather than an indication that the Clip itself had been discontinued.  After all, the only non-iPod/Zune player we kept on the display was an 8GB Fuze, and both the 4GB and 8GB versions of the Sony Walkman.

Long live the Clip! 

Mp3 players are like calculators…they change by the week…who cares…use your clip…in a year or two you will get something better at a lower price…technology changes daily

Message Edited by pa-bucktail on 05-02-2009 04:03 PM

Who cares?

I do, until someone comes up with an alternative that sounds as good and is as easy to carry, I do care. The Fuze is not competitive due to worse egonomics. Shuffle is a non-starter due to no display. I have not heard anything good about Zen Stone sound quality.

At least I already have a few Clips I will hold on to as long as I can keep the Li batteries going. 

@alohamora wrote:

Who cares?

I do, until someone comes up with an alternative that sounds as good and is as easy to carry, I do care. The Fuze is not competitive due to worse egonomics. Shuffle is a non-starter due to no display. I have not heard anything good about Zen Stone sound quality.

At least I already have a few Clips I will hold on to as long as I can keep the Li batteries going. 

Agreed! I want the Clip to continue production for a long time. I don’t even need a 16 GB one…8GB is fine for “on-the-go” for me. Only things I would wish for are

A: the “clip” on it be a little more durable. My 6 month old Clip does have a slight crack developing where the spring contacts the plastic.

B: Folder nav, which I believe isn’t far away.

C: As tenzip mentioned one day, if the power slider and volume switches could be swapped around, it would be more convenient with right angle headphone plugs.

Other than that…gapless would be cool, but it’s not a deal-breaker for me.:smiley:

I hope its not discontinued, but I was in my Walmart today, and not a clip to be seen, luckily I already have 2.

I just bought the 8gb Clip this afternoon at my local WalMart in Framingham, MA, for $49 (marked down from $79, the sign said). I bought a 4GB Clip for my wife in May 2008 to replace her 512MB m230, and I have been using my trusty 4GB m260 since March 2006 (using .m3u playlists, after editing the WMP output), but I’d been looking for the 8GB for a long time. Everywhere I looked, even online, it was back-ordered or out of stock. I only use the MSC mode, and the path to the .wma files is a little fussier with the Clip than the earlier firmware of the m200 series, but I guess I’ll deal with it as I do with loading music on my wife’s Clip.

It frustrates me that all the manufacturers think that they have to make an iPod-like player. I have no need for video, and I’d rather have a replaceable AAA (which could be a Sanyo Eneloop) as in my m260, than a built-in battery. I use my player mostly when I’m running or traveling, and I don’t plan to watch movies and I don’t need a .jpg of the album cover on a screen that’s barely larger than a postage stamp. I’m sure there are people who’d watch TV shows and YouTube clips and movies, if they could, on their iPod but that’s not what I’d do. For me, it’s all about the music; the additional capacity will also let me download podcasts to listen to while I run.

Question: I’d like to get the clear silicone rubber case from PCMICROSTORE on Amazon, as well as the chargers. I haven’t been on the forum for many months, but I remember there were issues about what charger could be used.

Has anyone had any experiences with either the clear silicone case or their car and AC chargers?

I’d hate to fry my new little Clip. The recent reviews look good, but there are experts on this forum who might know whether their chargers are problematic.

Thanks,

Eric

The case is fine (and there are few out there); I got mine from PCMicrostore as well.  Many posts here on AC adapters, try a search in the box above.  Name-brands, Macally, DLO, and others, plus Wal-Mart has nicely regarded ones; plus generics through eBay and Amazon.

Hey guys finally Im a proud owner of the clip. I found it in just 2 stores across my city, and only one had the 2 GB version which I prefered. The number clips here does seem on the decline, i wonder why since its so popular! Anyways, all’s well, off I go to charge my clip. 

@plasma wrote:

Hey guys finally Im a proud owner of the clip. I found it in just 2 stores across my city, and only one had the 2 GB version which I prefered. The number clips here does seem on the decline, i wonder why since its so popular! Anyways, all’s well, off I go to charge my clip. 

Enjoy! It’s a great little device…I had to go buy a second one I liked mine so much. :smiley:

Ya can’t agree with you more! I updated the firmware and its become a lot better! The best tiny player for podcats and audiobooks without a doubt!

@plasma wrote:
Ya can’t agree with you more! I updated the firmware and its become a lot better! The best tiny player for podcats and audiobooks without a doubt!

That’s mostly what I use my 2GB Clip for…podcasts. I keep just over 1GB of music on it though, just in case I’m out somewhere with it and I finish up all my podcasts. I use my 8GB just for music.