I want to create m3u playlists that can access internal memory and SD card files at the same time

I love the fact that the Clip+ supports m3u playlists, and I have absolutely no issues creating playlist files that work if I am just accessing internal memory, or am just accessing the SD card.

But the way the Clip+ handles folder view breaks the concept of m3u playlists, because it doesn’t group everything in the same folder.  This means that if I store an m3u playlist on internal memory, it cannot access files on the SD card (or vice-versa).  This severly limits the kinds of playlsts I can create with my player (I can’t mix files on the internal memory with files on the SD card).

I figure that in order to get m3u playlists working, I need to know the absolute paths the Clip+'s internal OS mounts the SD card to in order to access it’s files during use.  Can somebody perhaps provide information on this, so that an m3u playlist I have stored on the internal memory can access files in the SD card (or vice-versa)?

I really only need the absolute path of one of these two, since I can use relative paths for the rest.

Thanks!

Message Edited by defaultluser on 10-20-2009 02:26 PM

.m3u format playlists will oly access the player _ or _ the card, _ not _ both. To create playlists that span both memory locations, you need to use .pla format playlists.

There are several scripts/programs out there that will convert the .m3u lists to .pla. :wink:

Could you point me to some of these scripts/programs?

Also, can these pls playlists be used even with the player in MSC mode?

Thanks.

How big of a playlist are you trying to make? Couldn’t you fit all the songs for it on either the internal or external without combining locations? I’m assuming you’re making one with more than 200 songs, or else you could simply use the GoList.

@defaultluser wrote:

Could you point me to some of these scripts/programs?

Also, can these pls playlists be used even with the player in MSC mode?

Thanks.

Google is your friend. :smiley:

And yes, MSC is perfect.

How big of a playlist are you trying to make? Couldn’t you fit all the songs for it on either the internal or external without combining locations? I’m assuming you’re making one with more than 200 songs, or else you could simply use the GoList.

Oh yes, certainly more than 200 songs.  That was the limit on my old e280, and I hated every minute of it.

The problem is, I can’t just split my music collection in some arbitrary way and just make playlists on one device or the other (otherise, this wouldn’t be a problem  - I can easily make playlists that access JUST the internal memory, or JUST the SD card).  I want to make several different playlists based on my moods and what I want to listen to, and those will cross many different genres and groupings.  With 22GB of music on my player, I have a whole lot of songs to choose from, and no way to make playlists potentially out of ALL of those songs at once.

Message Edited by defaultluser on 10-22-2009 05:13 PM

Message Edited by defaultluser on 10-22-2009 05:14 PM

So what, does this script just strip artist and title from my m3u playlist files and put them into the pla file?  I’m guessing that the player then reads the pla file and matches entries to songs in the library

If so, I will be very happy.

I’ll give it a shot tonight.