How long do refurb sansa clips generally last?

I got a sansa clip refurb from this seller

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014V63WNK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I got it i was extremely dissapointed to notice the words “REFURB” engraved in large font on the bottom of the case. But anyway

Im more concerned with the refurb lasting quality. Do they generally hold up pretty well?

Are they refurbed by sansa themselves? I read that some have an “R” engraved" on the back, but mine has “REFURB” engraved. Im guessing this means 2 differnet places refurb them? 

Thanks.

Why were you surprised and/or diappointed? The decription clearly states REFURBISHED.

How long do they last? Depends on what the original problem with them was and the care/use you give it. They are a risk to be sure, but many people have had good luck with refurbs. And given this player has been discontinued for some time now, refurbs are about all you’re going to find available now.

It doesnt say that its engraved though. 

@aa43560 wrote:

It doesnt say that its engraved though. 

I agree with you–when I’ve purchased a refurb product and had something stamped onto let alone engraved into the product boldly indicating the refurbished nature, it’s always bugged me, making me feel somewhat “branded” as having a “cheaper” product (even when the item might be in a case).  But I understand why the companies do it, including to prevent warranty claims that might not apply as with brand new products.

I agree with you–when I’ve purchased a refurb product and had something stamped onto let alone engraved into the product boldly indicating the refurbished nature, it’s always bugged me, making me feel somewhat “branded” as having a “cheaper” product or being cheap (even when the item might be in a case).  But I understand why the companies do it, including to prevent warranty claims that might not apply as with brand new products.

My recommendation here:  get a case so that the engraving is out of mind and sight.  And to protect the case as well.

Hopefully the player will be problem-free for you.  No way to know why it’s a refurb–I had a long period where every refurb I purchased was as good as new, and I had the impression that manfs. were selling new product as refurbs simply to set up a new distribution chain at a lower price-point, trying for another line of customers.  And then I purchased a refurb Magellan GPS unit, only to find, when I got home and opened the box, that it was covered in watery dried mud (I later returned to the store and swapped it for another, getting a unit that again looked as if brand new).

From what I’ve seen here, use and keep an eye on the player right away, to make sure it’s fine–where I’ve read here of refurb issues, the issues often seem to be there right away (and if that were to be your case, you could return the player in the first 30 days).  

@miikerman wrote:

From what I’ve seen here, use and keep an eye on the player right away, to make sure it’s fine --where I’ve read here of refurb issues, the issues often seem to be there right away (and if that were to be your case, you could return the player in the first 30 days).  

Good advice! :wink:

I have the feeling that many refurbs are units that were simply returned because people didn’t understand Sansa quirks like MTP vs MSC, or thought the units woiuld play Apple’s m4a format.

It’s not profitable to fix them but someone who understands how they work can check that they are working.

There’s probably a regulation somewhere that anything that has been returned has to be physically marked. 

I have 2 or 3 refurbs and they have all worked fine. Just check every function–including mic recording if you’ll be using that, and audiobooks with a sample or library book.  And use it through some charging cycles to see how long the battery is lasting. If you have a problem get back to the seller with it.

@black_rectangle wrote:

I have the feeling that many refurbs are units that were simply returned because people didn’t understand Sansa quirks like MTP vs MSC, or thought the units woiuld play Apple’s m4a format.

It’s not profitable to fix them but someone who understands how they work can check that they are working.

There’s probably a regulation somewhere that anything that has been returned has to be physically marked. 

I have 2 or 3 refurbs and they have all worked fine. Just check every function–including mic recording if you’ll be using that, and audiobooks with a sample or library book.  And use it through some charging cycles to see how long the battery is lasting. If you have a problem get back to the seller with it.

I’ve actually bought a couple “broken” clip/fuze players from ebay, and aside from one with a broken wheel, all of them actually worked fine.