How is your Sansa Clip battery life?

Wow–great, comprehensive benchmarks!

:slight_smile:

(And amazing to see the Clips lasting 15-17+ hours for well-encoded MP3 files!)

>> Silver wins lasting an hour longer than the Black 8GR2 *
    I don’t understand why???  I’m going to retest again<<

I think the problem is that there is a quality control issue in the manufacturing of the batteries. You could compare several Clips of the same capacities and colors, and still get wildly different results between them. i.e. there are some 2GB red Clips that play 11 hours…and some that will play for 15 hours…and some that lose charge when not even playing.

The batteries are the weak links in the Clips. You just happen to be seeing the difference between two Clips of different capacities and different colors…but you’d still likely experience those differences even if you were testing two identical Clips. They all have the same battery…and it’s just the luck of the draw as to whether any Clip has a good, mediocre or bad battery.

@cllipman wrote:

>> Silver wins lasting an hour longer than the Black 8GR2 *
    I don’t understand why???  I’m going to retest again<<

I think the problem is that there is a quality control issue in the manufacturing of the batteries. You could compare several Clips of the same capacities and colors, and still get wildly different results between them. i.e. there are some 2GB red Clips that play 11 hours…and some that will play for 15 hours…and some that lose charge when not even playing.

The batteries are the weak links in the Clips. You just happen to be seeing the difference between two Clips of different capacities and different colors…but you’d still likely experience those differences even if you were testing two identical Clips. They all have the same battery…and it’s just the luck of the draw as to whether any Clip has a good, mediocre or bad battery.

Yes,  I agree there is battery capacity variations.    They are  probably all within an acceptable power range.   

What I don’t understand about the tests is, the Rev 2 black clip was consistantly averaging  longer play times for both ogg and mp3 formatted files.   I did many and the variance was consistant with these two formats.    But on the Flac encoded files,  it was reversed and an unexpected result.     This makes me suspect that the firmware on the Rev 1 clips are clocked at a slower rate for Flac encoding than the Rev 2 clips.    It’s just suspect,  I hope someone at sansa notices this, and checks.   :slight_smile:

This is wonderful.  Thank you very much for all the hard work.  You MUST be an engineer.  Can’t wait for the next round of results.  Hope it will include tests at full volume, since that is where I play mine (bad ears).   Ratio of charge time to play time seems impressive.  If only they could get an electric car to run that well.

I am confused about one thing.  I can’t find an 8GB clip on the Sansa website.

@coyote400 wrote:

This is wonderful.  Thank you very much for all the hard work.  You MUST be an engineer.  Can’t wait for the next round of results.  Hope it will include tests at full volume, since that is where I play mine (bad ears).   Ratio of charge time to play time seems impressive.  If only they could get an electric car to run that well.

I am confused about one thing.  I can’t find an 8GB clip on the Sansa website.

http://go.shopsansa.com/content/clip

The 8GB clip exists…but you can find it cheaper than the price you will see there.

Coyote, If you are in America, run down to a Wal*Mart- they have the 8GB Clip for $49!!!

And by America, he means the U.S.A.

:wink:

@miikerman wrote:

And by America, he means the U.S.A.

:wink:

They don’t have Wal*Mart in Canada or Mexico?  :smiley:

Apparently, the Canadian Wal-Marts aren’t having this sales price–I don’t know about Mexico …

Thanks,  Marvin.  Found the 8GB clip at the link you posted.  Will check out Walmart next time I am there.

it’s interesting that ogg playback is similar to flac playback.

As far as i can see, mp3 v0 remains the best audio format for the Clip.

So i will erase my ogg library from my Clip very soon and reconvert to mp3 v0. 

I have a car adapter for my sansa clip but when I plug it in the player just charges, I can not get it to play.  According to the manual I should be able to charge and listen at the same time.  I have my car stereo on aux, like I normally do when listening to my player in the car.  What am I doing incorrectly?

And do you have an audio cable going from your Clip’s headphone jack to the auxiliary in connection of your car stereo?  No sound goes through the Clip’s USB port.

Instead of a USB cable, you can use an audio cassette adapter going from the Clip’s headphone jack  to a car cassette player; or you can attach an FM transmitter to the Clip’s headphone jack and have the sound come from your car FM radio.

Thanks for responding…The headphones are connected to the headphone jack then into my aux on car stereo - I can not seem to play the sansa while it is charging  - the display just shows the player is charging - I can not press any buttons to press play to listen

@laynnetaylor wrote:
Thanks for responding…The headphones are connected to the headphone jack then into my aux on car stereo - I can not seem to play the sansa while it is charging  - the display just shows the player is charging - I can not press any buttons to press play to listen

How are you chargeing when you want to play?

I am charging with my car adaptor that plugs into the lighter

Forgive me if this is too obvious…but did you turn the Clip on?

I’m not sure what the issue is, apart from my hunch that it’s connnected to your car cigarette lighter adapter (which is making the Clip behave like it is connected to a computer rather than to a dedicated power supply).  I just tried my Clip in my car, connected to the cigarette lighter by a GPS unit cigarette lighter adapter that I use, and my Clip starts up for play and I’m able to play it. 

Could you try a different car cigarette lighter adapter?  (Or, of course, you just could use the Clip on battery supply in your car.)

Yes, I try to turn the clip on, but it acts like it is just charging (like when it is charging on the computer)  Will not allow me to do anything with it while plugged into my lighter. 

O-K…

Here’s a little test: If you DON’T attach the Clip to the lighter for charging- just play it on it’s own battery, with the cord from the headphone jack to the car stereo, does it play?

If yes: Then the Cigarette lighter charger is the problem- get a different one (as someone else said, the one you have may have the pins to connect USB-fashion, instead of having blank data pins).

If no: …uh…well…beats me!