How do I delete Rockbox?

I’d always hesitated about trying Rockbox on my Clip+ as I was generally perfectly satisfied with it as it was but as I now have another MP3 player which I expect to use more than the Clip+ I thought I’d have a look.

I downloaded the Rockbox Utility for Mac (I’m using Mac OS Leopard).

I used the instal command and everything seemed to be OK.

However when I started the Clip+ the Rockbox splash screen appeared and then everything just locked up. It wouldn’t respond to any buttons and I had to hold the “ON” the button down for 20 seconds to get it to shut off. It would then reboot into it’s original Firm Wear if I used the correct button combination but Rockbox just locked up every time.

So I decided to get rid of it. I ran the Rockbox Utility again and selected the uninstal option.

It soon informed me that it had been successful and that Rockbox had been uninstalled.

I was very surprised therefore to discover that when I started my Clip+ the Rockbox splash screen was still there. But this time it soon disappeared and then every thing to seemed to be working OK.

So I’ve now got a Clip+ with Rockbox but if I do want to get rid of it, how do I do it if the Utility doesn’t work?

Not sure whats going on, but you can remove the bootloader just by installing a new sandisk firmware.  

And then simply delete the Rockbox folders and files on your Clip.

Thanks for the advice which it turned out I needed.

After a short period when Rockbox seemed to be working it suddenly went very weird with random rubbish on the display and no sign of any files that I could access. All sorts of restarts and resets did nothing to improve matters.

So I’d had enough and followed the method above (ie I didn’t use the Utility) and it’s all back to normal.

I won’t be trying Rockbox again…

@jon_b wrote:

Thanks for the advice which it turned out I needed.

After a short period when Rockbox seemed to be working it suddenly went very weird with random rubbish on the display and no sign of any files that I could access. All sorts of restarts and resets did nothing to improve matters.

Probably a corrupted file system.  You should also check your disk for errors.