Help with AC adapter question for Sansa Clip+ 4gb

Hi, I have searched online and can’t get an answer to a simple question: I want to save my Clip’s battery life, for instnace when I’m at home, so can I use a wall adapter for it? I have seen tons of posts and info on chargers, but not this. Is a charger the same thing as an adapter? How can I avaoid overcharging the battery if I just want to play it? Please keep it simple, I am less than technically-minded.

Also, I find it strange that Sansa doesn’t put out its own brand of chargers and adapters. So I’m looking for a recommended brand. 

Thanks for all help!

penelopek wrote:

Hi, I have searched online and can’t get an answer to a simple question: I want to save my Clip’s battery life, for instnace when I’m at home, so can I use a wall adapter for it? I have seen tons of posts and info on chargers, but not this. Is a charger the same thing as an adapter? How can I avaoid overcharging the battery if I just want to play it? Please keep it simple, I am less than technically-minded.

Also, I find it strange that Sansa doesn’t put out its own brand of chargers and adapters. So I’m looking for a recommended brand. 

Thanks for all help!

Sansa Store USB Adaptor :wink:

Message Edited by microsansa on 07-07-2010 08:02 PM

Any generic AC wall charger/adapter with a USB connection should work–the USB connection is a standard.  (I’d just make sure it’s 5V, which it should be, and around 500 mAmp or above (although down to around 350 mA should be ok).)

Equally important, I’ve found, is the quality of it–I’ve purchased some generics that just don’t work.  You might want to buy locally (Best Buy, Staples, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, etc.), where you can exchange easily, if need be (likewise as to purchases from Amazon.com itself).  Some name-brands:  Macally, DLO, Belkin, Kensington.  Personally, I get a bit nervous from the generics, although, of course, many are just fine–if you want, you could try a low-cost charger (such as from eBay or Amazon.com) and see how it works for you.  

The words charger and adapter tend to be used interchangeably, although I guess charger really is intended for rechargeable batteries (AA, AAA, etc.)?  Just make sure that the charger/adapter has both a wall plus and a USB connection.  Again, this has become pretty standard in the past few years.

Thank you both, but especially Miikerman for actually answering my question. I’d like to know if anyone else uses an adapter for the purpose I mentioned (saving the ultimate life of the battery). Also, how can you stop it from overcharging, if you’re just using it as an adapter?

Thanks again!

I have several USB chargers that I’ve used with my clip+.  All of them originally came with cell phones of various makes and models.  Motorola, Samsung, and HTC.

It won’t overcharge.  The charging circuit will turn off when the battery is full, just like it does when it’s plugged into a computer.

@penelopek wrote:

Also, how can you stop it from overcharging, if you’re just using it as an adapter?

There’s circuitry inside the Clip+ (and all Sansa mp3 player for that matter) that controls the charge rate & prevents it from over-charging.

Wait, not Samsung.  Whoever made the Dash.  Anyway, they should all work.

Wow!  This thread ballooned wide.  I don’t quite understand why it does that, sometimes I have to search for the trigger.

Cool to see that the mini USB charger from SanDisk is available separate from the power cable.  The first one was part of a kit for the SlotRadio player.  The SanDisk adaptor has the advantage of cool factor : it’s small, unlike the typical gigantic wall wart adaptors out there.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

There you go.  Popped the balloons.  Easier on the eyes!

microsansa

Thanks very much, jtown. And do you actually USE adapters to SAVE your battery? I’d love to get an answer for that question.

I’m not sure what there is to clarify. I use the USB adapters to charge the battery and sometimes I’ll listen to the player while it’s charging on the USB adapter.

With my non-Sansa DAP, I always use AC power when at my desk at work, to save the battery (more than 5 years at this point).

With my Clips, I tend not to, as they rarely are in use at my desk–they are more for portable, on-the-move use, and I don’t relish a 2-mile-long USB cable …

:wink:

Miikerman wrote:

With my non-Sansa DAP, I always use AC power when at my desk at work, to save the battery (more than 5 years at this point).

With my Clips, I tend not to, as they rarely are in use at my desk–they are more for portable, on-the-move use, and I don’t relish a 2-mile-long USB cable …

Yeah, I can see where this might put a damper on the convenience factor alright.

Thanks, Miikerman. You have been most helpful.

I’m not sure why this was such a hard question to get answered. I would have thought saving battery life on a non-removable battery-operated device was a high concern.

Thanks.

Sure; happy to help!

I think you’re right and it often is a concern, except that, maybe, people tend to see the Clips, given their small size, largely as portable/on-the-go types of players and so don’t think of keeping them tethered to a wall plug.  I fall into that category as well, using my larger “juke box” player (with 60GB drive) as my “desk” player, which I plug into the wall, and the Clip as the player I take with me more when hiking, going to the pool, etc.

It’s not likely to extend the service life of the battery.  Lithium-Ion and Lithium-Polymer batteries tend to have pretty consistant degradation regardless of charging cycles or use.  Somewhere around 20-25% of their capacity per year.

Not sure I agree, there:  my iRiver juebox player is over 5 years old at this point, and the battery is just fine–I plug the player in to the AC about 75% of the time.