Having Trouble Downloading KopyMac

Just bought a Sansa Clip+ 8GB. I have a Mac (OS X10.5 with Firefox), and am having the same problem many other people have discussed here… that is the “ghost” files that appear in the Clip’s song menu with the ._ at the beginning of the file name. After reading many of the discussions here, I know that I need to download KopyMac, which will solve the double file issue. Trouble is, I have tried several locations, including the links included in the discussions here, but have not been able to successfully download the freeware.

I live in a rural area where high speed internet connections are not available, therefore I have a (terribly slow) dial-up connection. This might be causing the problem I’m having, but I don’t know for sure. When I have gone to the various KopyMac download sites, I click on the “download” button, and nothing happens. I have then tried using the mirror download sites, and still can’t get it to download.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

I would suggest to try the dot_clean command for now to get read of those ._ files on your Sansa. I may be wrong on this, but this is what I have observed after using my freinds MAC computer. It seems that those ._files are only generated after transferring a converted audio to mp3 to the Sansa. You can easily get rid of those ghost files by running the dot_clean command under terminal.

Launch Terminal (Applications > Utilities) and type dot_clean, making sure to include a space at the end and drag the icon of the Sansa to the terminal window and press on enter. Disconnect the Sasna and those ._ files should be gone. :smileyvery-happy:

1 Like

Maybe your anti-virus or firewall settings are blocking the download. Try disabling them temporarily and see if it helps.

Have you tried it via download.com, a pretty reliable source?

http://download.cnet.com/KopyMac/3000-2248_4-35530.html?tag=mncol;1

@ Jamieson: Well, I finally got the nerve to try the dot_clean command under terminal. I’m so (unreasonably) hesitant to do things like that. When I read suggestions about “scripts” or “typing commands,” I freeze up with concern that I’m going to corrupt or mess up something. But you spelled it out so simply, that I sucked up my fear, and did it. One minute later, my Sansa was free of the unwanted files! Wonderful… and super easy.

I thank you, and now I don’t have to try the KopyMac download.

Thanks also to Tapeworm and Miikerman for your suggestions. You guys are extremely cool, and very dedicated to helping those of us with problems.

–Curt