Gapless playback, can it be turned off ?

Hi

In my search for a good and cheap player I found the Sansa Clip +. I want to use it during an art installation for playing back pieces of music with inbetween long “spaces” of silence. These are silent blank WAV-or MP3-files of several minutes upto even one hour in length. My fear is that the gapless playing feature will refuse to play these silent soundfiles.

Can someone please tell me wether this gapless playing can be turned off ?

Thanks in advance for your attention

@spctr wrote:

Hi

In my search for a good and cheap player I found the Sansa Clip +. I want to use it during an art installation for playing back pieces of music with inbetween long “spaces” of silence. These are silent blank WAV-or MP3-files of several minutes upto even one hour in length. My fear is that the gapless playing feature will refuse to play these silent soundfiles.

Can someone please tell me wether this gapless playing can be turned off ?

Thanks in advance for your attention

It won’t. As long as they are valid .wav or .mp3 files the player will play them, even if they are silent.

Ah great ! :smiley:Thank you very much for this quick response !

Good news: the clip+ doesn’t even have gapless playback.

@saratoga wrote:

That depends on who one listens to or believes . . . SanDisk, who claims it does or those who have tested it and say there is a miniscule gap or click and therefore does not. It also depends on the file format being used.

@tapeworm wrote:

@saratoga wrote:

That depends on who one listens to or believes . . . SanDisk, who claims it does or those who have tested it and say there is a miniscule gap or click and therefore does not. It also depends on the file format being used.

From what I can recall, mine were “close, but no cigar” as far as gapless…until I put Rockbox on them, anyways.:wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

From what I can recall, mine were “close, but no cigar” as far as gapless…until I put Rockbox on them, anyways.:wink:

As history has proven (in multiple instances), it seems “close” is often good enough for SanDisk. :neutral_face:

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

As history has proven (in multiple instances), it seems “close” is good enough for SanDisk. :neutral_face: