Gapless or no gapless?

So, I’m thinking of buying a Clip+, and I’m finding a lot of contradictory information as to whether it supports REAL gapless playback or not. Some say it does out of the box, some say it doesn’t, some say only with Rockbox…I really don’t know who to believe TBH.

I usually listen to full albums in one go, especially prog rock albums which have transitions between songs. It would be a shame to have a pause between each and every one of them.

Thanks!

Sandisk software has smallish gaps.  Rockbox has gapless.  

I see…and is Rockbox firmware stable and good enough as to replace the original firmware? A local vendor says that installing custom firmware will void my warranty…there is a way to install the stock firmware again as if nothing had happened, correct?

Thanks for the quick reply saratoga!

@rld wrote:

A local vendor says that installing custom firmware will void my warranty…there is a way to install the stock firmware again as if nothing had happened, correct?

You can easily uninstall it, but even if you do I don’t think it would be honest to return it unless it very obviously breaks (e.g screen falls off).  That said I think I paid 30 dollars for my clip on sale so even if it did break I probably wouldn’t bother shipping it back …

Of course, I’ll only use the warranty if there are obvious failures (freezing, lagging, etc.) or plain hardware problems. I just think it’s fair that I be able to install whatever firmware I want on my device, seeing as how it isn’t illegal and I paid for it. Again, thanks for your help!

I find the OF to be virtually gapless–with some tunes, I might notice the smallest of gaps (almost like a light click), in other cases nothing. 

Thanks Miikerman, glad to hear that…so far the majority of people have replied with answers similar to yours, although some people have said that the Clip+ does not support gapless playback at all (oh well, YouTube video uploaders aren’t the most reliable source out there, lol)

I’m buying my Clip+ on Friday, and I’ll post back with my experience. Thanks again for the help!

@rld wrote:

I see…and is Rockbox firmware stable and good enough as to replace the original firmware? A local vendor says that installing custom firmware will void my warranty…there is a way to install the stock firmware again as if nothing had happened, correct?

Thanks for the quick reply saratoga!

It is absolutely stable enough, and superior to the original firmware. Battery life improves, gapless playback is flawless(no clicks) you gain a vastly improved equalizer, etc., etc. I have been using it on my Sansas since last June or July…and I’ll never go back.:smiley:

Sadly, zorching the WMDRM capability isn’t in my game plan.  I would love to try Rockbox on a second Clip+ though… the different EQ is very tempting.

The wee “click” can only be heard under specific conditions.  Gapless playback is very clean with the original firmware, IMHO.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: