Free space slowly decreasing on apple Mac

@canadien wrote:

Its not got to do so much with the firmware as it does the way the player and the Mac communicate. What I mean is the way the Mac transfers files is different from PC. It leaves remnant files from the transfer process the same thing happens with Flash drives I think its a Mac thing. 

Well, I had several mp3 players in that past that were doing great with both Pc and Mac.  That’s the reason why I am thinking that something can be done in the firmware…

It has precisely NOTHING to do with the Sansa firmware!

The problem is that the $%@#$%@#$% Mac INSISTS on walking the dog on EVERYTHING it touches!  My wife is forced to use one of those monstrosities at work (your taxbucks at “work”, ugh) – and every time she sticks one of my USB flash “thumb” drives into it, it does the EXACT SAME THING – it loads them up with TONS of garbage, a HUGE hierarchy of junk – indexing files, database files (the kind of stuff a REAL operating system can keep track of on it own WITHOUT having to scrawl virtual grafitti on every wall it passes just to keep track of itself), and, of course, every file ever “deleted” (lots of fun seeing the ■■■■ her students “delete” when THEY manage to get hold of MY flash drive, argh.)

If you are using a fairly recent mac, there’s good news – your machine is – under the hood – a generic PC, with a proprietary DRM chip, intended to prevent the use of their toy OS on OTHER machines (the OS won’t work unless it finds that chip).  So, you CAN install Windows on it, and finally have a DECENT machine – one that WON’T turn the world into its very own personal litterbox.

Until then, your best bet (if you don’t want to have to keep reformatting – and reloading – your Sansa) is to periodically (as in “the more often, the better”) connect your Sansa to a REAL computer, and delete the ■■■■ the Mac has deposited onto it.

Now, every time I point out these facts, a buncha insipid little apple fan"boys" (in girls’s jeans, LOL! They’re in touch with their SENSITIVE side!) will come screaming into the thread, snapping like mad at my ankles.  Yip! Yip! Yip!  SCRAM, begone ye anklebiting fannieboys, SHOO!

For the rest of y’all, remember, 1) connect to a REAL computer, 2) DELETE all the applecrap, 3) enjoy the continued use of your MP3 player/USB flash drive/etc.

(And for those who insist THEIR players have NOT had the mac consume mass quantities of storage, all I can figure is that either you’re using a HUGE player, or, an older version of the Mac “OS” (that perhaps was before they began their “walk the dog on the whole world” plan), or, MAYBE your player has outsmarted the apple (i.e., perhaps it knows that when an apple touches it, it needs to do a bunch of housekeeping lest it get clogged to the rafters).  Or, maybe, just maybe, they’re using an actual apple-branded eye-pod, which, I would surmise, the mackentosh cleans up after itself on.

Gee, if THAT’s the case, go figure!  I mean, walking the dog on all OTHER brands of player, but NOT filling their OWN brand players with eFeces?  If THAT is going on, wow…

Can anyone verify if the mac does or does NOT dump its load all over the eye-pod, the way it does to OTHER players?  Never having touched a mack – but, being married to an eye-pod owner/mack-user, who does NOT run into that problem, I am going to guess that what’s going on is that they do NOT allow THEIR player (the eye-pod) to connect as a NORMAL type of USB device, i.e., it can ONLY connect via their eye-tunes program, rather than standard USB protocols.

In that case, since it’s never “seen” AS a drive, it’s not subject to the contamination that all devices that DO show up as drives must endure.

Is there any flaw in my analysis?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Anyone?