For our friends at SanDisk: any news on a next Clip firmware revision?

Ay news from our SanDisk friends?  microSansa/SlotMonsta/etc.?

After a 3 month of waitin I have forgotten bout sansa devs and waitin for a Rockbox built for Clip

It’s no reason to update official firmware cause there will be not any signifacant changes

Insdead of Rockbox. Now it near the finan release for Clip (i hope) 

The only thing tha Sandisk can do - it’s just send Rockbox team few Clips 

I’m not sure SanDisk cares much about Rockbox (someone correct me if they know differently).  I guess they’d sell a (relatively small, compared to retailer sales) number of additional Clips.  And Rockbox wouldn’t really add much to the Clip, would it?  It’s already a great sounding device that plays a good variety of audio formats.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 06-23-2009 07:15 AM

@promisedplanet wrote:
I’m not sure SanDisk cares much about Rockbox (someone correct me if they know differently).  I guess they’d sell a (relatively small, compared to retailer sales) number of additional Clips.  And Rockbox wouldn’t really add much to the Clip, would it?  It’s already a great sounding device that plays a good variety of audio formats.
Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 06-23-2009 07:15 AM

Rockbox seems to cover most of the things people ask for in firmware feature requests on these (clip & fuze) forums (folder browsing, more formats, gapless, playing on-pitch, station names on FM presets, no waiting on database refresh, etc etc)

At one time Sansa was courting Rockbox to the point of supplying players to the development team, including at least one with a hardware debugging port.  Perhaps that ended when Sansa started (or were already) using chips whose manufacturers weren’t cool with public disclosure of specifications and application notes. 

Message Edited by donp on 06-23-2009 09:25 AM

donp, I wasn’t aware about the previous comms between Sandisk and the Rockbox team … thanks for your reply.

@feromon wrote:

After a 3 month of waitin I have forgotten bout sansa devs and waitin for a Rockbox built for Clip

It’s no reason to update official firmware cause there will be not any signifacant changes

I’d like to see Rockbox on the Clip as well.  But I think that many people would also like to see the Clip’s Sansa firmware continue to improve, such as those who use the Clip for DRM’ed files, such as Audible books.  Plus, I think that many users (the typical puchaser of the Clip?) are just fine with the Clip’s native firmware, especially if it continues to improve over time.

And so, SanDisk, what’s up with a new firmware version?  It’s been over 4 months now …

@miikerman wrote:

@feromon wrote:

I’d like to see Rockbox on the Clip as well.  But I think that many people would also like to see the Clip’s Sansa firmware continue to improve, such as those who use the Clip for DRM’ed files, such as Audible books.  Plus, I think that many users (the typical puchaser of the Clip?) are just fine with the Clip’s native firmware, especially if it continues to improve over time.

And so, SanDisk, what’s up with a new firmware version?  It’s been over 4 months now …

I hope they’re not trying to squeeze the replaygain thing on to the Clip, given all the hassle people had with it with the Fuze(I didn’t bother trying it). The folder nav, on the other hand, would be sweet! I wonder though, if the devs read the fuze firmware thread, before and after that last release(cause  it was pretty volatile there for a while), and said,“screw you guys, you can wait!” or if they took offense at all the clamoring for Rockbox and said,“screw you guys, you can wait!” Hopefully not.:wink:

I just would like to hear some sort of an update from our SanDisk friends …  Like “working on it and later this month,” etc.?

@brianl wrote:
Im still waiting for the day they release an SDK… 

“me too” :) 

But I just don’t believe it happens.

OTOH… Hey, why not put into firmware only a few core functions (open file, read key, print, play, set option etc) and a script language interpreter (perl, python, lua, whatever) to let us make the GUI & ‘logic’ the way we want it? :slight_smile:

@marvin_martian wrote:

I hope they’re not trying to squeeze the replaygain thing on to the Clip, given all the hassle people had with it with the Fuze(I didn’t bother trying it)

OK, read up on that. Seems like the main issue was this stupid positive gain (or rather + sign) bug? Should be possible to get that sorted. When working correctly, this actually is a very desirable feature that saves a lot of volume adjustment if you have a healthy mix of older and newer albums. The additional input gain adjustment is not a bad idea at all.

Actually I hope that once Replaygain support becomes truly commonplace, CD levels will gradually return to normal (album gain 0…-5 dB or thereabouts). CD buyer’s revenge, so to speak. There’ll be a lot to remaster from the current decade (kinda ironic if you think about it).

I was just able to gain access to the firmware part of the Clips drive… is this known about already?

I have not heard of that before.

I was hoping one of the rockbox developers would see this thread, I’m not sure if they are aware of that or not.

I kinda doubt that Rockbox devs are monitoring this thread.   ;)   Better to post a comment, if you want, at Rockbox.org, forums, new ports, and then the Sansa Clip, etc. thread on the list (usually towards the top of the list). 

And so, SanDisk folks, anyone home and any update?

@brianl wrote:
I was just able to gain access to the firmware part of the Clips drive… is this known about already?

Why don’t you explain what you did, and where it got you? Then somebody can tell you if it is ‘known about’ or not.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t SanDisk’s typical response to requests for future firmware info “we don’t share this kind of information?”

I think in the past, at least sometimes, the company’s reps have given an ETA, like “in a couple of weeks, if testing goes well.”  And it has been over 4-1/2 months now, and a considerable time since the Fuze’s firmware was updated (with some of the improvements people would like to see for the Clip, most specifically folder/file view).

@miikerman wrote:

I think in the past, at least sometimes, the company’s reps have given an ETA, like “in a couple of weeks, if testing goes well.”  And it has been over 4-1/2 months now, and a considerable time since the Fuze’s firmware was updated (with some of the improvements people would like to see for the Clip, most specifically folder/file view).

The key word(s) here are “in the past”. Yes, it’s true that they have been very forthcoming in sharing little secrets or previews of ‘coming attractions’, but after the last fiasco with the Fuze update and it’s ‘anticipated’ release date, and the mob mentality exhibited by some posters here, I doubt we will ever get any prior knowledge or info again.

@I suspect someone (or maybe more than 1 someone) got their backside chewed for not maintaining a professional distance from us and writing checks their @ss1 couldn’t cash! Responses (both quality and quantity) from certain individuals have been very low-key and sedate since. :wink:

@miikerman wrote:

The key word(s) here are “in the past”. Yes, it’s true that they have been very forthcoming in sharing little secrets or previews of ‘coming attractions’, but after the last fiasco with the Fuze update and it’s ‘anticipated’ release date, and the mob mentality exhibited by some posters here, I doubt we will ever get any prior knowledge or info again.

@I suspect someone (or maybe more than 1 someone) got their backside chewed for not maintaining a professional distance from us and writing checks their @ss1 couldn’t cash! Responses (both quality and quantity) from certain individuals have been very low-key and sedate ever since. :wink:

Read, or virtually non-existent?