SanDisk Senior User

Re: Folders (Let me just say it again.)

@Aircraftkiller wrote:
Please forgive me for offending your delicate sensibilities over the internet. I offer my most sincere apologies for telling you to stop spamming the forum with your incessant whining. Clearly, your $39.99 to $69.99 is worth aggravating forum-goers with excessive folder view spam. And yes, I read the message and it's pretty obvious from other sansafix replies that you won't be getting your beloved folder view. Go buy another product and stop spamming, or start living in 2008 and try using tags.

Can you (Aircraftkiller and the other pro-tag posters) please tell me why you keep referring to the request of folders as spam? I really cannot understand your point of view. It's a simple request from a considerable number of clients. You're acting as if you actually have to implement it yourself. If someone from SanDisk came out and said "Shut up people; there will be no folder view. Period" I would understand it. Smiley Very Happy You, on the other hand, I cannot understand. Why so much hatred? This has turned into a religious issue. Smiley Tongue

----
Auto-generate folder playlists for the Clip: AutoM3U v1.1
SanDisk User

The first 2 MP3 players I bought had folder navigation.  They were also only 512MB. As you add more memory, and more songs, folder navigation becomes impossible.  You can get the same effect with tags.  I bet 99 percent of the people who use folders store the songs in folders with the artist name, then the album title.  Just use tags and on the Clip menu, under Music, select either artist or album.  Same difference.

If you can't live with that, you are correct, it is a religious issue.  Would you go to a Catholic church and demand they read the scripture from a King James version of the Bible.  Likewise, if you want folder navigation, please go to another church. Oops, I should have said, buy an MP3 player that supports folders. You will never get folder support on the Clip, or I suspect on any Sandisk product, because folder support just isn't worth it for devices with large memory.

Get off this thread? This thread is about FOLDERS! That's why it's HERE! "Let me say it again" I don't know who started this thread, but it's true! This Sansa thing is a rip-off and some people are pi88ed-off.
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

I was going to write a witty response to illustrate how ridiculous your arguments are, but it's just easier to call you stupid.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." -Galileo Galilei

I hereby humbly second the request to be able to browse by folders on the Sansa CLIP.

That is all.

SanDisk Senior User

It's not going to happen, there isn't enough memory on the device for it to search by folder and read ID3 tags. The majority of MP3s use tagging. Most CDs are tagged when you rip them. Why this is so difficult is beyond me - the amount of time spent bellyaching could be better used by tagging your MP3s and getting them put on the player. Amazing! 
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." -Galileo Galilei
SanDisk Senior User

@Walt-n-Florida wrote:

The first 2 MP3 players I bought had folder navigation.  They were also only 512MB. As you add more memory, and more songs, folder navigation becomes impossible.  You can get the same effect with tags.  I bet 99 percent of the people who use folders store the songs in folders with the artist name, then the album title.  Just use tags and on the Clip menu, under Music, select either artist or album.  Same difference.

If you can't live with that, you are correct, it is a religious issue.  Would you go to a Catholic church and demand they read the scripture from a King James version of the Bible.  Likewise, if you want folder navigation, please go to another church. Oops, I should have said, buy an MP3 player that supports folders. You will never get folder support on the Clip, or I suspect on any Sandisk product, because folder support just isn't worth it for devices with large memory.

The same tags vs. folders argument exists in databases, operating systems and other technonogies. You're right about the increase of storage size making folders cumbersome, but why limit our options? Tags and folders are two different tools (neither is perfect) and people have different needs. More options will lead to broader acceptance, IMHO. I say "Live and let live!" Smiley Happy

----
Auto-generate folder playlists for the Clip: AutoM3U v1.1
NAD

I bougth a Sansa Clip 2Gb for my girlfriends sister this...

I bougth a Sansa Clip 2Gb for my girlfriends sister this christmas. We just discovered that it has no support for folder-view.

I know that alot of people just love the "album, artist genre"-thing, but why exclude the folderview? Some people thinks that folders is way better than the other way.

It's kinda hard to explain for a person that don't know much about computers, what ID3-tags is and how they work. She (and I) just want to move files into folders and avoid messing with ID3-tags-programs.

If you put like 50 songs in a folder from different albums and artists, it is very annoying trying to listen to them.

I bet that if SanDisk removed the tagsupport, most of you who love tags would complain. On this forum.

SanDisk Professor

@Aircraftkiller wrote:
It's not going to happen, there isn't enough memory on the device for it to search by folder and read ID3 tags. The majority of MP3s use tagging. 

Not enough memory? Maybe on a clip(?) if they are really trying to cut the design close but I can't see that argument on one with enough juice to play video. Back when a whole computer had 32kB of memory they had directory browsing, and now megabytes cost pennies.

I find selecting music by tag a nice feature, but when it doesn't work it's terrible. I've bought mp3 downloads that have tags that show up in some players but not others. If the tags aren't readable, then the song is invisible to the player. If the track number tags don't have leading zeroes, then some players will play track 10 between tracks 1 and 2 due to sorting them alphabetically instead of numerically.

SanDisk Guru

That's why a good application like MP3Tag is key, as it can rewrite the tags in ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1 format in one step.

Bob  Smiley Wink