Folder Browsing problem - files all out of order

I have a problem in folder browsing. I’m trying to play an audiobook where the sections are sequentially numbered (1, 2, 3, etc.).

But my Clip+ does not put the files in the right order.  From 1 it goes directly to 11. 2 is between  19 and 20. It will make more sense if you see below.

It SHOULD go:

etc.

INSTEAD, I get THIS:

etc., etc.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Not at all uncommon.  For numbers 1-9, use a preceding 0:  01, 02, 03, 04, etc.

That’s the way computers count.

They obviously didn’t go to the same school as we did. :stuck_out_tongue:

My solution is to make a folder on my desktop. I then copy all the files of the book into my new folder. I then rename the files. I rename ‘chapter 1’ as ‘aone’,  ‘chapter 2’ as ‘btwo’, and so on.  I have discovered that this always works. I then delete the temporary folder I made.

The mp3 files contain several entries, beside the file name, that ncan cause problems. All of that information must be removed. Just follow these steps, and you can easily rename the files. As an example, let’s make believe the first file is named ‘chapter 1’.

Right click chapter 1.

Click on ‘Properties’

Click on the 3rd and last tab ‘Details’.

Click on the bottom line, it is blue text, underlined and says ‘Remove properties…’. A new window will open

In the new window, click on the radio button at the top left hand side. It is the second choice and it says ‘Remove the following…’.

As soon as the radio button is chosen, the ‘Select All’ bar at the bottom, should become highlited.

Click the bar. All the boxes should now have a check mark.

Click ‘OK’. The window will close and disappear.

Click ‘OK’ again in the first window… The window will close and also disappear.

You have now removed all the information, except the name and legnth of the file.

You are almost finished. Now right click the first file. Then click on ‘Rename’. Type in the new name and hit ‘ENTER’. You must do every individual file.

There is one shortcut. You can delete the mp3 information for all the files, all at one time. Choose all the files. Then right click  the group of files. Then follow the instructions above. It will seem that you are working on one file, but when you finish, you will discover all the information has been removed. Then you must rename each individual file. Good luck.

Seems so much easier just to use a preceding 0 for numbers 1-9 … :wink:

“Not at all uncommon.  For numbers 1-9, use a preceding 0:  01, 02, 03, 04, etc.”

I did this and it worked great up through then up this happened:

Then put two preceding zeroes, i.e. pad to 3 digits.

Or if there are less than 900 items, just start numbering them beginning with the number 101, so you don’t need to use leading zeros.