SanDisk Guru

Re: Firmware Destroyed My Clip!

Tapeworm wrote:

Whoa! 2 or 3 HOURS? Formatting only takes a few seconds. Any longer than that and there's something wrong! I don't have a Clip, so I can't say for sure of there is an on-board Format function in the SETTINGS menu like there is on the Fuze & e200v2's. If there is, that's the best and simplest one to use.

The other way is to have Windows do it for you:

• Connect in MSC mode.
  • Right-click on your player in Windows Explorer.
  • Select Format... from the context menu.
  • Make sure it set for file system FAT32 (should be on by default, but check anyway).
  • Do Not select the "Quick Format" option.
  • Click the Start button.
  • Verify that this is what you want to do and click OK.

Formatting will only delete/erase contenet put on by you, the user. It will not erase the firmware or any needed operating files, so it is safe. You will have to re-laod all of your music, etc. though, which can be a PITA. Thankfully you only have a 2GB Clip so it shouldn't take long. Smiley Happy

It wasn't firmware that destroyed my clip, I had a corrupted music file somewhere, I think, but the "search" function directed me here so I could format properly....many thanks Smiley Wink

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk Guru

Ahhh . . . "It was beauty that killed the beast."

(From the last scene in King Kong) Smiley Happy
SanDisk User

Smiley Very Happy
SanDisk Guru

Your title reminded me of this!

Bob  Smiley Tongue

I did the same thing.  I upgraded to the new firmware and the clip wouldn't recognize any songs on the player.  It didn't delete the songs, it just didn't know they were there.  The problem is the music database didn't refresh when the new firmware was installed.  What I did was just copy another song from my PC to the music directory on the clip.  The database then automatically refreshed and recognized all the songs that were on the player.  Problem solved.  I love my clip!
SanDisk User

Tapeworm - I just searched for, and found this post from way back when. I followed your instructions AGAIN and fixed the same problem on both of my Sandisks. 

I also copied your instructions and saved them in a Notepad file for future reference.

Thank you again!!!!

SanDisk Guru

My pleasure monbiker! Glad to hear you were able to dig it up and solve your issue.