FM Reception on Sansa Clip +

Aside from not getting normal FM reception, joined L A Fitness and the TV’s all have an FM transmitter but my Sansa Clip + will not pick up any of them… Never had this problem with my Cruz.  Not getting enough volume on music playing either… all in all, so far, not very happy with the Clip+…Any suggestions…

The clip will only tune in to normal FM radio bands. The clip isn’t bad, the antenna is the headphone cord and that can be a bit fussy at times.

I have an old Sansa Clip I bought several years ago. The tuner is the best I have used. It is now acting up, so I bought a new Clip+ hoping to have the same quality as the old one. Much to my displeasure, I find the new one unlistenable on stations which the old one picks up with ease. This is the 3rd Clip+ I have tried so it is not an isolated player.
With the Clip in one ear & the Clip+ in the other, the older one picks up stations the new one only gives static. Why? The players are side by side. I even switched ears to make sure the position of the antenna (ear phone wire) was not the issue.
Why is the new one less sensitive than the old one??? Cheaper built quality? Must be.

1 Like

@jmacknmo wrote:

Much to my displeasure, I find the new one unlistenable on stations which the old one picks up with ease. This is the 3rd Clip+ I have tried so it is not an isolated player.

With the Clip in one ear & the Clip+ in the other, the older one picks up stations the new one only gives static. Why?

Why is the new one less sensitive than the old one???

1. The newer Clip+ does not have the shielding that the original Clip had. This was removed as space was needed for a slightly larger battery and the memory card slot.
  2. The Clip+ has a different processor and FM chip than the older version. Lower cost? Maybe.

Many have commented/complained that the Clip+ does not have the same FM reception as its predecessor. Unfortunately, there is nothing you as a user can do to change this. It’s just the way it is.

The tuner in the Clip+ is ■■■■! It has very poor sensitivity. Mine also loses frequency lock and starts drifting away from the station and in about two minutes time it is so scratchy and distorted that nothing can be understood. I have to tune up then tune back down to the original station to get reception but then it drifts away again in another two minutes. SanDisk service is also ■■■■ as they refuse to acknowledge that this is a malfunction. They say that replacing this unit will not change anything, which tells me that they all have this problem. How ignorant of them! They also said in their email to me that this is standard performance of small players. Do they have any brains at all? What jerks!

So the headphone cord serves as the FM antenna!  I never knew that.  Do you specifically have to use the phones that came with the Clip, or will any headphones work as long as the cord is positioned correctly?

Any head/earphone set will serve as the FM antenna.