Highlighted

Dead Clip, what happened?

Hi there, I have been using my Clip for about a week, after converting my iTunes to mp3, all was going smoothly.  But today when I tried to charge it, nothing happened when I plugged it in to the computer.  It's not registering as a device on my computer, the Clip itself is totally dead, no sign of charging, screen does not light up.  I tried manually pushing the power on, unplugging, nothing.  Does anyone know what is going on? 
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Re: Dead Clip, what happened?

Not sure if you tried holding the power button up for about 10 seconds to reboot it but give it a shot.
Highlighted

Re: Dead Clip, what happened?

Im not sure but I have had mine since Christmas 2007 and today it died. It worked fine up until about 4:30PM today. Now it will not even light up or anything. I have held the power button for several seconds and nothing. I dont think I will buy another sansa product.
Highlighted

Re: FAQ: Using Your Sansa Clip with Your Mac, Including a Script for Exporting iTunes Playlists

Thanks kwanzan, this script worked great!
Highlighted
SanDisk User

Re: FAQ: Using Your Sansa Clip with Your Mac, Including a Script for Exporting iTunes Playlists

Cool.

Always appreciate the nice feedback.

G'day 

Highlighted

Hi, newbie here.  I've followed your instructions to upgrade the firmware, but no update.

First I charged my clip for about 4 hours from my mac.

Then I checked the settings, and found I have version 01.01.18f.

Therefore I followed your link and clicked the appropriate download.

I got a file called m300f.bin appeared in my downloads folder.  I therefore clicked on it to unzip, and a file called m300f.bin.cpgz appeared.  

Odd thing is, the former is 5mb, but the latter only 1.2 mb.  

When I plugged my clip into the mac it recognised it immediately as a disk drive and appeared on the desk top.  Does this mean it is automatically in MSC mode?  I tried putting it on hold and pressing the centre button (as recommended on another thread) but it made no difference.  All I got both times was the charging information - showing it was charging the last bit of battery, even though I'd just fully charged it.

I tried dragging the bin file (then the cpgz file when nothing happened) into the top layer on the clip, but nothing happened.  It just carried on saying it was charging the last bit of battery.  (But when I unplug it, it says the battery is full again.) No upgrading firmware message. What to do?

Hope you can kelp.  KD 

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Remove the .cpgz extention.  File should be m300f.bin.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

kdorlando -

We should be able to get this to work.

Step 1 

First, I would download both the Americas version and the Europe version (since you stated you "got a file called m300f.bin", I'm assuming you want the Europe with FM).

Note that the links for upgrade are links to .zip files. From your message it would appear that on your computer, when you click a link to a .zip file to download, your system automatically "unzips"  the file, and in this case the result is a .bin file. So, you do not need the additional step of "unzip". You want to use the file with the .bin extension. 

After clicking the upgrade links, you should have two files: m300a.bin, and m300f.bin.

Step 2

Plug your Clip into your Mac USB. Wait for it to show up on your Desktop. Then double-click the disk drive icon for the Clip. Look at the folders and files shown. If the .cpgz file you dragged to it previously is shown, Delete it.

Step 3

Because I've seen some posts here about problems with the Europe with FM firmware upgrade, let's first have you try the Americas version, just to verify that an upgrade will work.

So, drag the m300a.bin file to the disk drive icon for the Clip. (be certain is does not get moved to any of the folders within)

Wait a few seconds.

Now unplug from the USB.

Hopefully, you should see something on the display about updating firmware.

If you see the updating firmware message, check the version number in the Settings afterward to confirm. 

If not, try again, only follow these steps from the upgrade post for mounting the Clip:

1. Turn on the Clip
  2. Put the device in Hold (move Hold button until orange is showing)
  3. Press and hold the Center Button
  4. Plug the mini-USB connector into the device (be sure the USB is plugged into the computer)
  5. Wait for the Clip drive to mount

Step 4 

If all went well with Step 3, repeat it now using the m300f.bin file. If this does not work, then I think we must assume there is some problem with the Europe with FM version and the Clip you've purchased. 

I hope this works for you. 

Highlighted

I had a lot of trouble copying across music using Finder. Sometimes the copy process would abort without an error message, at other times only parts of files would be copied. As a result some songs would appear in the Clip database but would't play, others would play halfway.

My solution is to use rsync in the Terminal shell. Copies first time, every time without errors. Don't know why the Clip doesn't function like every other USB device, but it no longer matters.

If you're not familiar with Terminal, fire it up and navigate to the folder with the music you want to transfer. Say that folder is called Music Transfer in your user Music folder, then the command is:

cd /users/YOURUSERNAME/music/"music transfer"

Then (assing your players is called Sansa Clip, invoke rsync like this:

rsync -vcW *.* /volumes/"sansa clip"/music

Highlighted

My new clip is V02.01.16A. do I still have to update firmware? Also, please excuse me for being an ignoramus (this is my first MP3 player, which I am setting up for my kid), but how come I am not able to insert a CD into my iMac drive, then drag the audio files from the Finder to the Clip? I tried and although they show up in the Clip's folder, they do not show up on the device itself. thanks!