FAQ: Using Your Sansa Clip with Your Mac, Including a Script for Exporting iTunes Playlists

dancedolphin -

I think you can likely remedy your problem by following these steps from my original post, under “if you have a problem”:

(uh, dancedolphin, skip this reset section if your Clip is still showing up on your Mac as a USB drive like always, and jump down to On your Mac…)

You might have a problem doing this. I did. After I copied the upgrade file, m3XXa.bin, the “upgrading firmware” message remained long after 10 seconds. And the device was completely disabled (hung). Fortunately, I found several posts here that saved me. First, to “reset” the device, you must:

1. Slide the power switch on and hold for 10 seconds.
  2. Slide the power switch into the Hold/Lock position.
  3. Now while pressing the center “select” button, plug back into your USB
  4. You should see the Clip as a disk drive.
  5. You now must format/reformat the drive. This will remove anything you have copied to it!

– On your Mac, open the Disk Utility application (Applications:Utilities)
– Select the SANSA drive
– Click the Erase button/tab
– Choose MS-DOS File System (FAT 16) as the format
– Do it! (erase)

Now, with your newly formatted/reformatted drive, unplug from the USB and make sure you are back to a working Clip, e.g., go through the top level menus on the display. If you are not, try all “reset” steps again. If the device is still not working, I do not have a solution.

Finally, with your newly formatted Clip, repeat the steps for the firmware upgrade (re-install the firmware, see my original post. Be careful about disconnecting too quickly after you copy m3XXa.bin. I think this may be the issue with the hanging. Not certain, though.

If you this does not work or the instructions are confusing, feel free to take this off thread and send an email direct to me (just click my forum icon)

Message Edited by kwanzan on 10-18-2009 09:10 AM