Error Msg "Not Enough Space for Music DB Please Free Up 90mb" Newbie Please Help.

Hi,

I am newbie and not very tech savvie so I hope you will be patient with me.  I bought a Sansa Clip+ 2gb for my husband.  He plugged it into his Mac to charge and was downloading music onto it, when he disconnected it  and switched it on - the message he got was “Not Enought Space for Music DB Please Free Up 90MB” -he has deleted all the music files from it but still getting the same message.  I have plugged it into my PC and had a look at all the folders and there are no music files on it  there are some files but not sure what they are so didn’t want to delete them in case they were important.  Everytime I switch the clip on I get the sansa  logo and then the “not enough space…” message so I am not able to reformat it via the clip itself.  

Can anyone shed any light as to how I can get it working - if at all?

many thanks in advance.

Have you tried SanDisk’s Knowledge Base?

“Not Enough Space for Music DB Please Free . . .” error message

Yup, and as well as checking that, make sure that when you deleted the music files (assuming you did so using your PC/Mac), you also emptied the trash/wastbasket/bin on that machine.  To be sure, re-attach your Clip to the machine on which you deleted the files, then have a look in your trash/wastebasket/bin and delete them from in there as well.  Hope that makes sense, it’s difficult to be more specific as you mention both a Mac and a PC (and I don’t use either!).

Hi,

yes I did try the sandisk knwledge base, I deleteed all files and reformatted the player  (I think  that was the right thing to do) it is no longer showing that message but also isn’t showing up 1 song I added to test if it’s working.

Well, good. That’s an improvement at least. About that 1 song not showing up . . . Do you have an ‘Unknown’ category in the Artists list? Is the song in there? Maybe it doesn’t have the correct format ID3 tag (ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1).

If you scroll down to Folders in the Music menu, does it show up that way?

Well, good. That’s an improvement at least. About that 1 song not showing up . . . Do you have an ‘Unknown’ category in the Artists list? Is the song in there? Maybe it doesn’t have the correct format ID3 tag (ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1).

If you scroll down to Folders in the Music menu, does it show up that way?

You might also find this of interest from the ‘original’ Clip board.

Please note that we have two main possibilities for this error message.  It your Sansa still has plenty of available space, checking the volume for errors is your best initial task.

Also, don’t forget to have backup copies of your music, so that it’s easier to reload your device later.

For those who are comfortable using the chkdsk command-line utility, this is the function Windows uses during the manage / error-checking process.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

ok, here’s the deal… use your mac & plug in your sansa. go to the hard drive, go to applications, utilities, disk utility. on the left hand side, you will see your player listed- highlight it. click the “erase” tab in the middle of your window. change the volume format drop down menu to “MS-DOS (FAT)” and then click “erase…” and then “erase” again. wait for it to finish. this will remove all of your data and settings, but oh well, right? i mean, i love this thing and this fixed it…  worse things have happened im my lifetime, and im sure even worse things will yet. so, after it’s done, eject the drive, and unplug it. congrats, your problem should be solved. go ahead and plug it back in an continue to use it as normal.  :)