Displaying and playing folders as copied

Hi, I just got a clip+

Whilts I love the size and sound quality one thing is driving me crazy. I only listen to albums and I have discovered that the ID tags on most of my music must be all messed up. One my previous player (Creative) I just copied the folders onto the device and it kept the structure and track order exactly as it was in Windows explorer. The sandisk has reorganised everything by artist or album title, which is all messed up as my tags all seem to be messed up. Even within albums it has taken some tracks out and moved them elsewhere or changed the order.

I know one solution is to fix up all the tags but I don’t have the time or inclination to do this - i just want it to display and play what I copied onto it in the same order I copied it!

All my previous players have done this.  Is there any way of doign this on the clip+?

Thanks in advance

the last option under music is folders. if you copied all the files in MTP mode select folder>MTP>Music then you will see all of your folders like windows explorer. if in MSC mode i think they all will just be under folders. I rarely use MSC and dont have a player with me now so you will just have to check on that one. 

Thanks for the quick reply. I don’t have the player with me but will try that tonight

‘Folder mode’ still depends on tags and the internal database.

It will not navigate folders on a file-system level like you are looking for.

Actually, I thought that the Clip+ relies on the folder and file names for navigation but ID3 tags for displaying on the screen while playing.  In that case, you still could use the folder-file structure to choose the music.

Perhaps others have other info. as to this. 

My Clip+ (FW v01.02.13A), in Folder mode, allows me to navigate my folder structure exactly the way I do with Windows Explorer.

One strange difference: Windows lists “B-52’s, The” before “B.B. King” in an alphabetical listing whereas the Clip plus does the reverse. I wonder why the difference? No big deal though since there’s no effect on performance.

BigJohnL wrote:

One strange difference: Windows lists “B-52’s, The” before “B.B. King” in an alphabetical listing whereas the Clip plus does the reverse. I wonder why the difference? No big deal though since there’s no effect on performance.

Winamp is also programmed to ignore all cases of “The” when sorting. Unfortunately, Sansa mp3 players are not. It has been suggested before, but has not been implemented either because it can’t be, or SanDisk doesn’t feel it’s a worthy enough feature to warrant paying the development team to do it

You can get around this if you want to edit your ID3 tags and/or folder & file names though. Just change the Artist field from “The B-52’s” to “B-52’s, The” (and so on with all artists of bands that start with “The”.

BigJohnL wrote:

Winamp is also programmed to ignore all cases of “The” when sorting. Unfortunately, Sansa mp3 players are not. It has been suggested before, but has not been implemented either because it can’t be, or SanDisk doesn’t feel it’s a worthy enough feature to warrant paying the development team to do it.

You can get around this if you want to edit your ID3 tags and/or folder & file names though. Just change the Artist field (or folder/file name) from “The B-52’s” to “B-52’s, The” (and so on with all artists of bands that start with “The”).

BigJohnL wrote:

Winamp is also programmed to ignore all cases of “The” when sorting. Unfortunately, Sansa mp3 players are not. It has been suggested before, but has not been implemented either because it can’t be, or SanDisk doesn’t feel it’s a worthy enough feature to warrant paying the development team to do it.

You can get around this if you want to edit your ID3 tags and/or folder & file names though. Just change the Artist field (or folder/file name) from “The B-52’s” to “B-52’s, The”, and so on with all artists of bands that start with “The”.

Just be careful if you have music by “The The” on your player. That one will drive you nuts! :stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

@bigjohnl wrote:

You can get around this if you want to edit your ID3 tags and/or folder & file names though. Just change the Artist field (or folder/file name) from “The B-52’s” to “B-52’s, The”, and so on with all artists of bands that start with “The”.

Just be careful if you have music by “The The” on your player. That one will drive you nuts! :stuck_out_tongue:

Although I have tagged the Artist field in their files “The B-52’s”, I have labelled the folder exactly “B-52’s, The” to preserve the integrity of the alphabetical listing in a Windows directory tree. That’s why I find it interesting that Windows orders the two folders “B.B. King” followed by “B-52’s, The”, whereas the Clip+ (in Folder mode) lists “B-52’s, The” before “B.B. King”. I just double checked and realize I had the discrepancy reversed in my earlier post. Surely something to do with the way Windows vs. the Clip+ sort non-alphanumeric characters. Windows appears to sort a “.” before a “-” whereas the Clip+ does the reverse. Curious, but not earth-shattering.

Edit: Just checked MediaMonkey, and its alphabetical listing is consistent with Windows’: “B-52’s, The” is sorted before “B.B. King”. I also checked my Fuze and it lists these two folders the same way the Clip+ does.

Message Edited by BigJohnL on 06-03-2010 06:38 AM