Difference between Sansa clip 8 GB and 8 GB+

Is there any functional difference other than the expansion slot?

Wondering because the + is cheaper on Amazon.

The + has everything the non+ has (except the glowing ring …), as well as the expansion slot (major), folder view, hardier construction and clip, and ongoing firmware development.  A no-brainer, in my opinion.

Oh, and SlotRadio support, if that interests you.

Miikerman wrote:
The + has everything the non+ has (except the glowing ring …), as well as the expansion slot (major), folder view, hardier construction and clip, and ongoing firmware development.  A no-brainer, in my opinion.

Don’t forget gapless playback support. :stuck_out_tongue:

And cheaper to boot? No question!

Thank you very much - I just wanted to be sure I wasn’t overlooking some major trade-off!

Personally, I think that the original Clip is more attractive (although not as hardy as the +); and I do like that glow ring.  But that’s about it …

@hagsrus wrote:

Is there any functional difference other than the expansion slot?

Wondering because the + is cheaper on Amazon.

It is cheaper because it is built cheaper: Clip+ has thinner and softer plastic used for rear cover, power switch is tactile instead of sliding contact, battery has less capacity, clip mounting is simpler with less hardware, display cable is bonded to main board instead of ZIF socketed, shielding plate for circuit board has been eliminated, control ring lighting eliminated, side and back painting eliminated, side button painting or chroming eliminated.

To me the only advantage is the memory expansion. The tapered sides make it harder to hold than the original. An original Clip with a card slot would be ideal for me, but everyone will have there own opinions on the designs and features.

Message Edited by 14124all on 05-29-2010 08:02 PM

“It is cheaper because it is built cheaper: Clip+ has thinner and softer plastic used for rear cover, power switch is tactile instead of sliding contact, battery has less capacity, clip mounting is simpler with less hardware, display cable is bonded to main board instead of ZIF socketed, shielding plate for circuit board has been eliminated, control ring lighting eliminated, side and back painting eliminated, side button painting or chroming eliminated.”

Thanks for this second viewpoint.

How much less is the battery capacity?

What do you mean by  “display cable is bonded to main board instead of ZIF socketed”? Does it still work with the mini-USB? (Sorry for ignorance.)

hagsrus wrote:

What do you mean by  “display cable is bonded to main board instead of ZIF socketed”? Does it still work with the mini-USB? (Sorry for ignorance.)

He’s speaking of the OLED screen inside the unit. It’s hard-wired to the circuit board instaead of plugging in.

Battery capacity is 40maH less than the original. Original Clip has 330maH battery and the Clip+ has a 290maH battery. Advertised playback time is the same. It would have been nice to see both models built a little bit thicker to make room for a larger capacity battery.

One of my projects is fitting the clip guts inside a Samsung YP-T7 case with a Sansa C200 series 530maH battery. Have not had the time to mill out custom actuators for the side buttons/switch yet.