SanDisk User

Critical battery issues

[ Edited ]

My Sansa Clip+ has some severe issues, mainly because of the bad battery metter in the firmware.

First it dies with no battery remaining shutdown alert, with the built in Info menu showing ~40-50% level. Not so accurate btw.

Next it shows as everlasting charging. I leave it for like 5 hours to charge, but never sure because of the wrong levels shown. I dislike using MTP, because i have WMP badly.

Sandisk, are you listening and solve these bugs as soon as possible?

I dislike my Clip right now because it has more bugs than the previous generation.

The pitch bug on the previous Clip was nothing compared to driving you nuts because of empty battery!! 

I had an 7-8 hours trip and my Clip died after 3 hours. Judging by the built in level, it should have lasted 10 hours.

Sansa is losing terrain fast because they don't fix one of the most critical bugs. Battery bugs should not exist in any modern player. This is just another marketing plan to wait and buy the Clip++ version, possibly!

Message Edited by icsterm on 11-25-2009 09:19 PM
Clip 8GB v2 Silver / Clip+ 8GB Black + Fiio E5 + KSC75 + IE8
SanDisk Guru

Re: Critical battery issues

icsterm wrote: 

I dislike using MTP, because i hate WMP badly.

You don't have to use WMP with MTP....you can still drag and drop just the same. In Explorer you would be able to see the battery meter then.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk User

Yes, maybe. But i don't mind leaving the device for 5 hours (should fully charge in 99% with standard USB output power). I just need some way better battery calibration in the CPU/firmware. Let's hope this gets fixed.
SanDisk Guru

icsterm wrote:
Yes, maybe. But i don't mind leaving the device for 5 hours (should fully charge in 99% with standard USB output power). I just need some way better battery calibration in the CPU/firmware. Let's hope this gets fixed.

I agree, I hope it is fixed too.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk Guru

icsterm wrote:

My Sansa Clip+ has some severe issues, mainly because of the bad battery metter in the firmware.

First it dies with no battery remaining shutdown alert, with the built in Info menu showing ~40-50% level. Not so accurate btw.

Next it shows as everlasting charging. I leave it for like 5 hours to charge, but never sure because of the wrong levels shown. I dislike using MTP, because i have WMP badly.

Sandisk, are you listening and solve these bugs as soon as possible?

I dislike my Clip right now because it has more bugs than the previous generation.

The pitch bug on the previous Clip was nothing compared to driving you nuts because of empty battery!! 

I had an 7-8 hours trip and my Clip died after 3 hours. Judging by the built in level, it should have lasted 10 hours.

Sansa is losing terrain fast because they don't fix one of the most critical bugs. Battery bugs should not exist in any modern player. This is just another marketing plan to wait and buy the Clip++ version, possibly!

Not trying to be harsh here, but it seems pretty obvious that these problems are isolated to your unit (mine and several others don't have these issues). Why don't you just exchange it for another one where you bought it, or contact Sandisk directly for an RMA and be done with it?

SanDisk User

To be honest, i bought 2x Clip+ from the US Amazon shop like 5 weeks ago. My friend who has taken the other Clip confirmed me the same issues. So this is not an isolated situation. Hope it fixes by itself when the metter gets tweaked better.

Ps. I never discharged my Clip completely. Maybe it gets fixed this time. 

SanDisk Guru

icsterm wrote:

To be honest, i bought 2x Clip+ from the US Amazon shop like 5 weeks ago. My friend who has taken the other Clip confirmed me the same issues. So this is not an isolated situation. Hope it fixes by itself when the metter gets tweaked better.

Ps. I never discharged my Clip completely. Maybe it gets fixed this time. 

I would still be suspect of your problems being isolated incidents. The fact that you bought 2 from the same place at the same time and they are both exhibiting the same issues suggests that there could have been an entire batch or run from that particular factory at that particular time with those problems. SanDisk probably has multiple factories spread across China making these things.

That does not mean that all Clip+ players have these problems to where a firmware fix would be appropriate or even helpful. I still maintain that you should call SanDisk (since you're probably out of the return window from Amazon at this point) and get another one through their 1 year warranty.

You're getting yourself worked up into an absolute lather over this, dude. Get a new one, ease the stress and get on with your life. Smiley Wink

SanDisk User

The battery calibration is bad on my unit as well. It's a 4GB unit purchased at Best Buy. I've seen multiple reports of it in another thread. Once it gets to 1/3 power remaining on the indicator, it's just about to shut down.

I just keep an eye on it and it doesn't bother me that much.

A fix would be nice, but if that's my only issue, it's not a big one.

[ Edited ]

I have the similar issues on my 4GB Clip+ bought at Amazon when they first came out.

I'm not too worried about it. I know it's dead when it shuts off.  Smiley Tongue

Message Edited by Seamus on 11-26-2009 08:49 PM
--James
SanDisk Guru

Indeed, the calibration will have to be addressed (no doubt, it will be) in a firmware update.  The Clip+ battery is slightly different from the Clip in capacity.  The firmware base is a hybrid of the Fuze (µSDHC capability) and the earlier Clip (OLED display module).  

Bob Smiley Very Happy